total movie take

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spielucas set out to sell toys and made a farce of a moive.

I love this argument because it's so nonsensical. If Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was designed as a toy commercial it would have been a completely different film. There would have been far more toys in it than the jungle cutter, for starters.

Nolans group set out to make a good movie and it sold toys.

The Dark Knight is a much better example of the cynical manipulation you describe, because all those toys were made for a movie kids shouldn't be allowed to see! It's the ultimate example of corporate greed and idiocy. The Dark Knight is by no stretch of the imagination a kids' movie and yet you can find little homicidal maniac Jokers in boxes of Cinnamon Toast Crunch and a whole line of action figures aimed at kids too young to be let into the theater.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull made so much money because, a few insecure nerds on the Internet aside, people liked it and either saw it again or told their friends to go see it. It's a fun movie with characters people like and relate to, and unlike most summer blockbusters it's actually about something more than chasing after a crystal skull. It's a great example of how the Internet is completely unrepresentative of real life in most cases, and how Internet nerds forget that and get so swept up in the echo chamber.

yeah that's how i felt about it. i still haven't seen TDK though or the clone wars.

See both, they are a lot of fun. TDK is awesome, and the kind of movie you have to see in the theater. And Clone Wars (while far from perfect) is a fun flick and always cool to see SW on the big screen.

hey don;'t make fun of mattel's Movie masters, I have the full set. ;)

Wow! It is looking to top Iron Man. The have similar budgets, and similar US totals. Iron Man is 120 mil ahead overseas...but Indy still has time to catch up, there.

yeah, it's interesting to compare these movies, and how different they perform from the us market to elsewhere. checked out titanic, and how they are comparing tdk to it. then look at titanics overseas take OMG. it's also interesting how some movies like transformers (that did not bad at the box office) sold a ton of dvd's and other didn't.

i put that site on my favourites

Last edited:
Then you were the crowd they were banking on.

Spielucas set out to sell toys and made a farce of a moive.

Nolans group set out to make a good movie and it sold toys.

well said
no matter how i prepared myself for indy 4, in the end it was really disappointing, and not just compared to the first three, but as a stand alone film it was pretty "bleh"

dark knight on the other hand just amazed the hell out of me
going into it i really thought i was going to be disappointed (like most sequels) and didn't think it would top BEGINS for me ... now i'm at the point where BEGINS seems like an INTRO compared to TDK

nolan and co. outdid themselves on this

because all those toys were made for a movie kids shouldn't be allowed to see.

:confused: What does that have to do with anything? Revenge of the Sith and Indiana Jones were PG13 and have toys. Hell, R rated Terminator had figures on the shelf at Walmart.

And any child can watch this movie if a adult permits them. The rating just lets them know there is may be some serious scenes.

I'm not sure why you are on this board, you do nothing but disagree with people. Sucks to be you!

yeah, it's interesting to compare these movies, and how different they perform from the us market to elsewhere. checked out titanic, and how they are comparing tdk to it. then look at titanics overseas take OMG. it's also interesting how some movies like transformers (that did not bad at the box office) sold a ton of dvd's and other didn't.

i put that site on my favourites

Yea, Titanic world box office won't be touched prolly for at least 10-20 more years if theaters are still something people do in the future.

The only way Titanic will be beaten any time soon is if another teen heartthrob comes along that will get little girls to go back to the theater 50 times to see the same movie.

Paging Zac Efron. Paging Zac Efron....:lol I kid, I kid I really hate that guy.

The only way Titanic will be beaten any time soon is if another teen heartthrob comes along that will get little girls to go back to the theater 50 times to see the same movie.

yeah, must be a girl thing. heartthrob and mix in a little kissy kissy, along with a massive death tool. oh yeah kill off the heartthrob. and box office success.

i only saw it once in the theater,(titanic) and the only movie i have seen more that once in the theatre is tdk, only because my wife hadn't seen it yet, and the first time i saw it with the kids i couldn't hold it anymore and then had to stand in line to drain it. so i missed around the point of the boom boom ferries scene.:banghead:banghead

Last edited:
:confused: What does that have to do with anything? Revenge of the Sith and Indiana Jones were PG13 and have toys. Hell, R rated Terminator had figures on the shelf at Walmart.

And any child can watch this movie if a adult permits them. The rating just lets them know there is may be some serious scenes.

Actually I agree that it's weird that there are so many toys out for The Dark Knight, considering how, you know, dark it is. Most of the kids who are the targets of the toys probably shouldn't be seeing it, in my opinion.

Actually I agree that it's weird that there are so many toys out for The Dark Knight, considering how, you know, dark it is. Most of the kids who are the targets of the toys probably shouldn't be seeing it, in my opinion.

But its alright with Revenge of the Sith? It was rated PG13. It had kids being slaughtered, people getting decapitated, hands and limbs chopped off, strangled, people being being burned to a crisp. Yea, light entertainment that is just great for the kiddies!!

Did I say it was alright? ROTS is pretty dark too. But it's not as brutal and it's in a fantasy setting, and I think that's reflected in the non-R rating.

What does that have to do with anything? Revenge of the Sith and Indiana Jones were PG13 and have toys. Hell, R rated Terminator had figures on the shelf at Walmart.

If you honestly believe elementary school children should be watching The Dark Knight then there's nothing else to talk about here. And well done for not actually addressing the heart of my comment.

I'm not sure why you are on this board, you do nothing but disagree with people.

Except all the times I don't, obviously. But interesting cry for mob mentality you've got going on there. Or is it just anti-intellectualism?

Yeah, TDK is too dark really for kids at these age groups. There's a lot in there that a kid under 13 probably shouldn't be seeing but I'm not their parent so......

Back