To kitbash/customize, or simply buy it from someone else?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Elvis is ooak aint seen anybody do the stuff hes doing.
Maybe I just aint looking around enough.
Hes a customanator:)
Not kissing arse either just respect due.
Makes me sick half the time I check his thread.
Not fair:(

There is a huge difference between someone who takes a bunch of pieces of something someone else made, does some alteration, and calls it new and someone who sculpts, sews, and paints something on their own from scratch. That may rub a few hides a bit raw, but thus it is.

A DJ can call himself a musician but ultimately they are mixing other people's work. Calling him/herself a musician does not make it so. Though the ignorance of others may play into that perception.

The distinction between DJ and composer is as important an distinction as basher and customizer.

Anyhoo, agree to disagree on this one I suppose. :lecture

If you do that too much you'll go blind :lecture :lol

:wink1:..........................

Elvis is ooak aint seen anybody do the stuff hes doing.
Maybe I just aint looking around enough.
Hes a customanator:)
Not kissing arse either just respect due.
Makes me sick half the time I check his thread.
Not fair:(

Without a doubt, the guy has mass skills. Hes figs are incredible, but my favorite still has to be LALLA's Musashi Miyamoto. Thats an incredible example of 1/6 art.

Sorry but this isn't splitting hairs. There is a big difference between the two and a distinction should be made. If that offends or frustrates you, I have nothing to say. :dunno

I think there are several different levels to customizing, given at a literal sense, just swapping out a weapon with one that wasn't included with the figure would classify it as a "custom" by definition alone.

At the bottom, you'd have the basic kitbashers who swap things here and there, like buying Joker's Swedish K for Sideshow's Firefly, etc.

The next level would be those who completely bash their own figures that wouldn't exist otherwise, but the pieces are essentially all store bought.

Next you'd have someone who paints, adding a custom aesthetic to the piece.

Then you'd have your guys who physically create/modify something existing to add to a kitbash (with painting needed to make it consistent with the rest of the piece).

There a fine line at this point, which completely separates the previous from more advanced "customizers." You're getting into those who do heads from scratch up through those who do 100% their own pieces, including sculpting, sewing, etc.

And that's not even getting into defining the final product, whether it looks like something Dragon would produce, or something HotToys would turn out.

I'm not really sure how you'd go about classifying them individually, but I do agree that lumping a kitbasher in the same group with someone who's scratch-building everything but the base body creates issues. It pedestals one into an upper echelon they're not really qualified to claim, while insulting the other by comparing him to someone who completely lacks the same skill set. It's like calling a cake decorator a master baker.

I think GB is right, in that the custom section has changed, but I don't think the pool of guys doing their own work has shrunk significantly. It's just the onslaught of high end, made to order stuff that has taken over the attention. I do think there should be a separation for sales from non-sales to help tease this stuff out.

I'm also one that does my own customs, as well as buys nice customs. And I get pleasure out of both. It all depends on what is needed. Because of limited free time at home and lack of motivation, buying from someone else is often preferable. But I really enjoyed getting my Ghostbusters put together (even though I didn't paint them), and as a result probably value them more than if I just bought someone to do it all for me.

Um no. He is a more of a basher than a customizer.
He seems to do just about everything based on what I've seen from sculpting, to tailoring, to painting, to modding, and everything in-between. I'm hard pressed to think of many custom artists that totally create pieces "from scratch" apart from some guys who really are the pseudo businesses discussed above (IDM, Rainman, Iminime, Beto, Serang). However, I think you can make a fair distinction between someone who "completely" makes their own customs (minus using an existing body I guess) and those who do work modifying existing parts/clothing, with some original sculpting/painting/tailoring/etc. Turbo vs. Ozone has made this kind of argument going one step further, in saying that Beto is superior to others in that he doesn't outsource anything such as paintwork or tailoring.

Sometimes its odd though. Ive found i get few comments on SSF and props (and my figs arent that bad) but on other sites i get masss feedback and reactions. Ive had talks with many customizers and many say, why even bother with posting, its hard to disagree sometimes.

Easily resolved if the Admin would only listen to Galactiboy, King Darkness, Evilface, Myself and many others who've suggested time and again that either threads be combined for the small businesses who've taken over the customs section with their dozens of project threads, or they be moved into a subsection. Sadly those requests always fall on deaf ears. :(

:goodpost:

Like a broken record I've said it too many times to count.

That's why I stopped posting here. Tired of seeing 50 messages of : "Whoa awesome custom !!!" but what did you do except paying ? Buying a heasculpt from him, then send it to this painter, order a set of clothes from this guy, etc.... in the end, of course you got a amazing custom but you didn't do anything.
And the thread of a regular guy who spend a lot of time even if his work is not 100% top notch will drown under the 50 congrats messages.

At least somebody had the cojones to say it. I had a good chuckle over the playing Barbie/dress up bit as well.:lol

Easily resolved if the Admin would only listen to Galactiboy, King Darkness, Evilface, Myself and many others who've suggested time and again that either threads be combined for the small businesses who've taken over the customs section with their dozens of project threads, or they be moved into a subsection. Sadly those requests always fall on deaf ears. :(

Dead horse from hell, but everyone I've talked to seems to want this myself included. :horse:

There is a huge difference between someone who takes a bunch of pieces of something someone else made, does some alteration, and calls it new and someone who sculpts, sews, and paints something on their own from scratch. That may rub a few hides a bit raw, but thus it is.

A DJ can call himself a musician but ultimately they are mixing other people's work. Calling him/herself a musician does not make it so. Though the ignorance of others may play into that perception.

The distinction between DJ and composer is as important an distinction as basher and customizer.

Anyhoo, agree to disagree on this one I suppose. :lecture
:goodpost::exactly:

But DJ can be better than composer, because DJ with good hearing and sense can use original music in way, which nobody else will use it and then he will become unique! Like Elvis! He maybe didn't making heads etc., but he can use it with his way and style and then ordinary stuff become legendary. Because he know, how to change it to perfection!

ROSA.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but if what Elvis does is so easy and takes so little talent and skill, why isn't everyone doing it????

Because it takes talent, skill and a great imagination to do what Elvis, and a select few, do! PERIOD!!!

Maybe I missed something Eric? Can you point out where anyone ever said what Elvis did was easy or that what he does takes little talent or skill. I must have missed this, surely. :dunno

Yes where was that posted? I'd consider Seb a good friend of mine here. That's not even close to what any of this bickering has been about.

Back