To Flip or not to Flip....

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARE YOU IN FAVOR OF FLIPPIN...

• OHH YEAH..I'M FLIPPIN AND PIMPIN BABY !!!!

Votes: 52 68.4%
  • FLIPPIN AINT RIGHT.

Votes: 24 31.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think the term flipper or scalper only really applies to something that has just been released or pre-ordered and sell outs quickly. If an item sells out over a normal amount of time, then the secondary market kicks in naturally and selling at that point would not be considered flipping or scalping. Really, without an outlet like eBay, would there even be such a thing as a flipper or scalper?

I hate it when the only purpose someone has is to get the figure I want, and sell if for a price I can't afford, showing that they had no interest in the figure at all, and therefore ultimately have a disdain for my interests. This hurts most when close friends do this. I have had this happen.

I say do what you need to do if you need to sell for something else. It is after all, your collection, and often we need to shift our finances or emphasis on what we can keep.
But, I hope...no, I always like to think...that everyone is getting the figures they really want when they first get them.
But, sadly, that is not always the case.

If I sell one, you can guarantee that when I bought it, I wanted it. I never buy to sell. Ever. I just hope that flippers appreciate this.

But, you can't control things like this. I think that you can only observe your personal standards and hope that others have them as well.

lcummins said:
I think the term flipper or scalper only really applies to something that has just been released or pre-ordered and sell outs quickly. If an item sells out over a normal amount of time, then the secondary market kicks in naturally and selling at that point would not be considered flipping or scalping. Really, without an outlet like eBay, would there even be such a thing as a flipper or scalper?
Good point Lonnie. Lets blame those bastards at ebay. It's all their flippin fault.

Figuremaster Les said:
I hate it when the only purpose someone has is to get the figure I want, and sell if for a price I can't afford, showing that they had no interest in the figure at all, and therefore ultimately have a disdain for my interests. This hurts most when close friends do this. I have had this happen.

I say do what you need to do if you need to sell for something else. It is after all, your collection, and often we need to shift our finances or emphasis on what we can keep.
But, I hope...no, I always like to think...that everyone is getting the figures they really want when they first get them.
But, sadly, that is not always the case.

If I sell one, you can guarantee that when I bought it, I wanted it. I never buy to sell. Ever. I just hope that flippers appreciate this.

But, you can't control things like this. I think that you can only observe your personal standards and hope that others have them as well.
:rock:rock:rock

tomandshell said:
I don't know--I think that someone who has had to resort to eBay prices for a desired piece doesn't have to be called a hypocrite to be frustrated at flippers. In fact, it is those who have been forced to either buy from a flipper or go without an item in their collection who are probably the most violently opposed to flipping, because they have had to pay the price.

A hypocrite would be someone who was an outspoken opponent of flipping, but who then turned around and flipped an item when the money was right. Buying from a flipper and being a flipper aren't exactly the same. They both contribute to the continued existence of flipping, though.

But a hypocrite would be someone who said, "It's wrong to buy from flippers" and then bought from a flipper.

Or a hypocrite would be someone who said, "It's wrong to flip" and then flipped.

But if someone says "It's wrong to flip" and then buys from a flipper, they are not technically hypocritical, but are foolishly furthering the cause to which they are opposed. I would call it cognitive dissonance, but not quite hypocrisy.

I don't like to pay taxes, but I'm not a hypocrite because I do. I would become a hypocrite when I formed my own government and made other people pay me taxes.

Bingo!!:chew

I hate the flipper that preorders it, puts it on ebay a minute after the preorder for 10x the price.

It all started with the SS/WETA line when people seen ebay prices for the early figures. Then everyone tried to make the $1000.00 profit and it failed. It increased editions, (Sauron 10,000) and hurt the value and the line.

I think alot of people collect for the profit. It seems a piece is only good if it has a low edition these days. And if its not a low edition then everyone cancels and the piece drops in value. I'm even canceling items because I know they'll be going cheaper on ebay.

NASEDO said:
I hate the flipper that preorders it, puts it on ebay a minute after the preorder for 10x the price.

It all started with the SS/WETA line when people seen ebay prices for the early figures. Then everyone tried to make the $1000.00 profit and it failed. It increased editions, (Sauron 10,000) and hurt the value and the line.

I think alot of people collect for the profit. It seems a piece is only good if it has a low edition these days. And if its not a low edition then everyone cancels and the piece drops in value. I'm even canceling items because I know they'll be going cheaper on ebay.
For the record, I have never flipped anything until I had the item in hand. I just don't believe in preselling something on ebay. Just too risky.

I think both side are at fault. the flipper and the buyer. Flipper wouldn't exist if there are not crazy buyers with cash to burn that encourages flipping. Like those PS3 and wii during the xmas holidays. what was the rush anyways? it not like they are limited production that will only be available for 1 week. but the frenzy buyers just drives up the price to unbelievable amount that temps people to flip.

minivader said:
even though I konw its wrong, but I am still temped whenever I see a takara batman on ebay, :D

that thing is just so cool looking :monkey5
Give in to the power of the Darkside.:emperor :emperor :emperor

lcummins said:

Remind me Lonnie when I stop in Round Rock I need you to sign my copy of "The definition of Scalping and Me." by Lonnie Cummins. :monkey3

Although.....I never did find the need to pick up your best-selling biography "My penis-enlarger pump and Me." by Lonnie Cummins :monkey5

Bannister said:
For the record, I have never flipped anything until I had the item in hand. I just don't believe in preselling something on ebay. Just too risky.

For the record I have never even sold anything on ebay or anywhere else.

Now had I and an exclusive Grey Hulk vs Spidey, than it would be another story:D

DannieDarKo said:

Remind me Lonnie when I stop in Round Rock I need you to sign my copy of "The definition of Scalping and Me." by Lonnie Cummins :monkey3
:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

lcummins said:
Can't have it both ways... :monkey3

Yeah, you can, because the guy who pre-orders and sells it doesnt have it yet, nor has he even paid for it yet.

Once in hand, then do what you will, but for Gods sake, at least get it in hand first.

so if I put it on Ebay 2 minutes after the preorder you wont hate me? Goodie :D

Back