To Flip or not to Flip....

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARE YOU IN FAVOR OF FLIPPIN...

• OHH YEAH..I'M FLIPPIN AND PIMPIN BABY !!!!

Votes: 52 68.4%
  • FLIPPIN AINT RIGHT.

Votes: 24 31.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shai

Cold Slither
Reaction score
Just a simple poll to see whats the freaks opinion in the matter....

I for one, am in favor of flippin....:monkey5 rarely did it,but I think its a way to finance this hobby.
Also, Poll is confidential...lolll

I think if you buy it you have a right to do whatever you want with it. Flip it, love it, smash it, whatever...

That being said I think it is wrong to buy something to flip (ala Black 'n' White Spidey) but if you bought it when it came out and found you needed the money for something else... be it a kidney for your daughter or to fund Jabba the hut... I am cool with that. In the end its noone's business why you are selling a piece. :lecture

i discourage flipping but sometimes when I buy something, eventually something better comes along and sell the old ones. Not my fault it goes up in high prices. :eek:

I think that if you buy something and it grows in value, then sell it and make your profit. However, if you buy something just because you see cash potential and never truly wanted the item, then it gets iffy.

All in all, it is your item so you do what you think is right. I really did enjoy how everyone banded together to help those in need of a SSE Mummy though.

I'm more than likely going to flip my Neg Zone Spider-Man and SS Mummy. This is due to me needing to pay for other Sideshow items (Grey Hulk, etc, etc), I need to move out and buy a flat... I need to make back some of the extra cash us non-US customers have to pay whenever we buy a Sideshow item! :monkey2

I got the 1/4 Punisher in the sale before Christmas (still waiting for him) and when they added all the extras on, it wasn't too far off the original price! :lol

Saying that, I'm also the sort of person who buys something thinking I'll sell that. But then ends up falling in love with it and keeping it. So I never really know what I'm going to do with something until I have it in hand.

So expect to see updated collection photos with both Spider-Man and Mummy in them! :lol

At the end of the day, there your's to do with what you like.

PsychoCenobite :monkey5

A few years ago I picked the infamous "Wrestling Mr. T" by Galoob. It was basically the A-Team Mr. T, repainted and given a yellow robe. It was MOC and only $12 at a really nice toy/collectable store. They should have know better (and unbeknowst to me), the figure sells for over $200 on eBay. I guess old school, Remco wrestling collectors see this thing as the holy grail. I sat on it for a couple years, but last year I decided to sell him. And I think anyone who wouldn't move that fig would be a little daft. I mean, I love Mr. T, but I love a couple hundred dollars more. :D

I belive it's a decision everyone must make for them selves. The only thing I really hate about it, is that the flippers make SSC do crazy things like lotteries (Mummy), irrational price hikes (Grey Hulk PF) and hidden links to limited items (Grey Hulk vs.). And in the end, that's disadvantageously for me and other so called committed collectors. So, it's not the flipping' that bothers me, but more the measures taken to prevent it.

I'm not voting in this poll.

Last edited:
For me, I'm anti-flipping. I think buying something with the intention of reselling it quickly for a profit only hurts the collecting community in the long run. Where its a bit of grey area for me is if you buy something and then later decide you don't want it... at that point I think its fair to get whatever the going rate is. So I look at it more in terms of intent than action.

However, people do what they want and gotta do. Even though I may not agree with a person's collecting and selling habits that doesn't mean I have the right to naysay them. It takes both buyers and sellers to make a flip work.

pixletwin said:
I think if you buy it you have a right to do whatever you want with it. Flip it, love it, smash it, whatever...

That being said I think it is wrong to buy something to flip (ala Black 'n' White Spidey) but if you bought it when it came out and found you needed the money for something else... be it a kidney for your daughter or to fund Jabba the hut... I am cool with that. In the end its noone's business why you are selling a piece. :lecture

I agree Pix. If you originally buy the item for yourself and then when it comes, you don't like it, need the money, or want to switch for another piece, then Flipping is OK. If you bought it just to sell (scalping) then that is wrong. My brother once bought a Jason exclusive figure. When it came he didn't like it or wanted it anymore so he sold it on ebay and made a little money. He then used this money to buy something else from Sideshow. In the end, everyone was happy... I think. :eek:

sladesuperagent said:
And I think anyone who wouldn't move that fig would be a little daft. I mean, I love Mr. T, but I love a couple hundred dollars more. :D

Right, thats not really flipping or scalping. At that point the figure is worth more than you paid for it so it'd be a no-brainer to sell it. Kinda like if you bought a vintage SW figure of $.50 back in 1982 no one expects you to sell it for that price now.

Where its questionable (to me at least) is when someone is buying a figure on pre-order and selling it as soon as they get it or before it even arrives for a hefty profit.

I think the way the poll is set up is a bit misleading and slightly manipulative. Cause if you a person believes it is OK to flip for whatever reason (ie Galactiboy's post) they would have to vote for Flippin. But the Poll is worded to imply that one who flips ONLY does it for profit immediately after the pre-sale.

galactiboy said:
For me, I'm anti-flipping. I think buying something with the intention of reselling it quickly for a profit only hurts the collecting community in the long run.

I think remember someone buying a Jessica Alba Invisible Woman variant at Wal-Mart and putting on eBay for some sucka. Who was that? :rolleyes:

I generally do not flip. It's a choice I have made. I don't mind if somebody flips to make a little side cash or to help fund other collections. I don't much care when somebody buys piece after piece just for flipping. Doing it now and again, I can live with

I've never bought anything for the sole purpose of flipping, but more power to people who do. It doesn't bother me.

I'm just happy if I have enough to buy the things I want in my collection.

galactiboy said:
For me, I'm anti-flipping. I think buying something with the intention of reselling it quickly for a profit only hurts the collecting community in the long run. Where its a bit of grey area for me is if you buy something and then later decide you don't want it... at that point I think its fair to get whatever the going rate is. So I look at it more in terms of intent than action.

However, people do what they want and gotta do. Even though I may not agree with a person's collecting and selling habits that doesn't mean I have the right to naysay them. It takes both buyers and sellers to make a flip work.

You are right on the money... I don't really encourage flipping... but I will sell a piece on Ebay if I need the cash, and for what it is going for. I can honestly say I have never bought something just to sell it later, only for profit. So that makes me feel a little better...

Back