Tips to keeping your outdoor pets cool this summer

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a believer at all in outside pets. Domesticated animals were made to live indoors. That's just my opinion. I hate watching people just dump their animals outside because they don't want to deal with them anymore. :gah:

I couldn't disagree more, especially with big dogs. Big dogs just don't belong in a house. They make much more of a mess and require constant clean up. I know this because I lived with two boxers for years, as well as other people I know who keep a large dog in the house are constantly cleaning up after they go in and out to use the yard as a bathroom. I could see bringing a dog inside during severe heat, cold, or storms, but otherwise my dog would be outside. They are animals, after all, and can survive outside. They require our care for food and water, definitely, but they don't necessarily require an air conditioned roof over their heads.

I have a cat named Chester who is indoors and outdoors - he comes and goes as he pleases. He will let me know when he wants to go outside, and let me know when he wants back in. In his old age, he stays in more, but when he was in his prime, he probably spent about 50/50.

Big dogs just don't belong in a house. They make much more of a mess and require constant clean up. I know this because I lived with two boxers for years

It's not their fault though. Boxers take all those punches in fights throughout their careers and by the end, they can't contain their poop. That's why they "require constant clean up".

I couldn't disagree more, especially with big dogs. Big dogs just don't belong in a house. They make much more of a mess and require constant clean up. I know this because I lived with two boxers for years, as well as other people I know who keep a large dog in the house are constantly cleaning up after they go in and out to use the yard as a bathroom. I could see bringing a dog inside during severe heat, cold, or storms, but otherwise my dog would be outside. They are animals, after all, and can survive outside. They require our care for food and water, definitely, but they don't necessarily require an air conditioned roof over their heads.

I have a cat named Chester who is indoors and outdoors - he comes and goes as he pleases. He will let me know when he wants to go outside, and let me know when he wants back in. In his old age, he stays in more, but when he was in his prime, he probably spent about 50/50.

This is why you never get a dog that you can't handle. Why have a dog if you're going to hook it up outside all the time. What a fun pet! Sure mine goes outside for a while on his own, or with me, but to keep it outside 24/7, unless it's strictly a guard dog, why bother having it?

As for cats, I know a lot of people think it's okay to have outside cats, but, IMO, that's wrong too. They get killed, they get in fights, they kill birds, they get into people's flower beds, they get into trash. They eat things that make them sick. Not saying your cat does this, but some do. There's a difference between wild animals and domesticated pets.

My dog is my baby and I protect it like one.

Love you Agen. :1-1:

It's not their fault though. Boxers take all those punches in fights throughout their careers and by the end, they can't contain their poop. That's why they "require constant clean up".

Smarty, tighty whitey pants! :lol

This is why you never get a dog that you can't handle. Why have a dog if you're going to hook it up outside all the time. What a fun pet! Sure mine goes outside for a while on his own, or with me, but to keep it outside 24/7, unless it's strictly a guard dog, why bother having it?

As for cats, I know a lot of people think it's okay to have outside cats, but, IMO, that's wrong too. They get killed, they get in fights, they kill birds, they get into people's flower beds, they get into trash. They eat things that make them sick. Not saying your cat does this, but some do. There's a difference between wild animals and domesticated pets.

My dog is my baby and I protect it like one.

Love you Agen. :1-1:

Love you too, Ween. :1-1:

Where I'm from, animals just belong outside. Period. That's how we were raised, unless you have some small, useless dog or declawed cat. Or a lizard or something.

Anyway, I think of my cat as my own child, I love him to death - but he goes outside if I need him to, or if he wants to. Chester kills birds, squirrels, moles, and even rabbits, and brings them to me or drops them on the doormat with pride. That's his nature, it's in his blood - even though he's "domesticated." As much as I love birds, I can't be upset with him for being what nature intended him to be, which is an awesome predator. And yes, he's gotten into his fair share of fights. But, think of it as sending your kid off to school - you can't keep them out of trouble when they're there. Can't keep an eye on them 24/7.

Keeping him cooped up in a house just seems cruel, in my opinion. Chester's been living like this for 13 years now, so I guess both he and I are doing something right! :D

Not a believer at all in outside pets. Domesticated animals were made to live indoors. That's just my opinion. I hate watching people just dump their animals outside because they don't want to deal with them anymore. :gah:

the hot chick who lives across the street from me has a cat and he goes in and out . they leave there kitchen window open a little bit all the time and he comes and goes when he wants and wonders the neighbor hood. good life for a cat if you ask me.

I've seen people buy expensive dogs then stick them outside in all elements. Just doesn't make sense to me.

As for cats, I can't tell you how many get killed because they get into the streets. Sometimes teenagers aim for them too. Also, people steal pets and sell them for lab animals.

I'm in total agreement. What's the point of having pets if you just stick them outside.

I understand Buffy's predicament though, as one of my own dogs has just recently taken to "marking" inside the house. I'm not above smacking his ass real good to show him his wrongs, which I've had to do on a number of occasions recently after he decided to piss on the couch. I am now in the process of giving my dogs limited access to the house under supervision, after having completely cleaned all marked areas using that enzyme cleaner stuff.

But it really pisses me off when I try to explain my frustration to co-workers and their response is, "Just throw them outside, that's what I do with my dogs, and they've never pissed on my furniture once." today's temps in AZ hit almost 110 degrees.

I have no idea how these people could sleep at night letting their pets try and survive through that. It also pisses me off when they say, "Well, the coyotes don't sleep inside, and their doing just fine, so what's the big deal." ____ing idiots.

Edit: after reading Agen Kolar's response, I must clarify and specify that my dogs are 22 lbs and 30 lbs. I would hardly try to keep a great Dane inside. Cats can go either way. Growing up, our cats were very happy being able to come and go as they please.

I guess it also depends on where you live. I live in the city i.e. an urban environment. Not the suburbs.

Very few people in my neighborhood have a front and/or back yard. It's a lot different in that setting than in a nice suburban area when it comes to letting your pets out.

My downstairs neighbor used to let her cats go outside. One had it's tail ran over. One was killed. The other got so many infections/injuries that even the SPCA told her to stop letting it out.

When I was a kid our dog got out and we never saw her again. Letting your pets out in the suburbs seems like no harm (especially if you have an enclosed backyard). But that's not an option where I stay.

Cartman: "In the Ghetto.."

I couldn't disagree more, especially with big dogs. Big dogs just don't belong in a house. They make much more of a mess and require constant clean up. I know this because I lived with two boxers for years, as well as other people I know who keep a large dog in the house are constantly cleaning up after they go in and out to use the yard as a bathroom.

This is more of an owner problem than a pet problem. If you can't manage cleaning up after them don't bother owning them.

~I know this because I had a St. Bernard and a German Shepherd and besides sweeping the tile floors every night I had no problems with them whatsoever.

We have a boxer and an American bulldog, they are both prone to overheating esp on a day like today where it is 108; they are indoor dogs and aside from shedding (the bulldog has white fur and we have dark wood floors :thud:) they are not a bother inside at all. Both breeds are active, but I walk them at least once a day for 45 mins, they behave just fine. :peace

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with letting your dog outside for awhile, but to buy a dog, then tie it up to a dog house outside 24/7 is just plain dumb to me. I know quite a few people who do that.

Mesa, are your dogs fixed?

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with letting your dog outside for awhile, but to buy a dog, then tie it up to a dog house outside 24/7 is just plain dumb to me. I know quite a few people who do that.

Mesa, are your dogs fixed?

yup. no balls. but I have two boys, "Quatro" and "Westside" and Westside is just starting to come into his own. He's always been bullied by Quatro, but now he's starting to become the alpha dog as Quatro is getting a little bit older, so I think he thinks he needs to show it, by pissing on my couch. :mad:

In hindsight, I should have gotten a boy and a girl.

yup. no balls. but I have two boys, "Quatro" and "Westside" and Westside is just starting to come into his own. He's always been bullied by Quatro, but now he's starting to become the alpha dog as Quatro is getting a little bit older, so I think he thinks he needs to show it, by pissing on my couch. :mad:

In hindsight, I should have gotten a boy and a girl.

nice :monkey3

This is more of an owner problem than a pet problem. If you can't manage cleaning up after them don't bother owning them.

~I know this because I had a St. Bernard and a German Shepherd and besides sweeping the tile floors every night I had no problems with them whatsoever.

You're right. I'm not going to constantly clean up behind my pet. Outside for them! :yess:

You're right. I'm not going to constantly clean up behind my pet. Outside for them! :yess:

Its not your pet's fault you're lazy.

I have always had pets at home (mostly dogs) and they always made some kind of sign (scratching, barking...) when they wanted to go out. I guess the way you educate your pet could also be related to the problem? :dunno

Back