Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw it last night and I completely agree, to be honest I thought the movie was dreadful. But I expect that from Burton these days, I dread to think what I'd have thought if I'd have gone in with high expectations instead of low ones

Saw it yesterday, was expecting Tim burton's take on Alice, can't express how dissapointed I was. Why did it even need a plot, If anyone was capable of bringing a true version of that book to the screen it was Burton. I think again its the producers and studio meddling in his work, wish they could let him be. They all seem to think he's works so unpredictable that he ends up making movies that are only half his. It's happened from Batman onwards.
I think the 'new' version of frankenweenie should be much more 'his' in style. Next time he makes a big movie though, the studios should just leave well alone and trust him, then wonderful things happen, like Beetlejuice and Scissorhands....

I honestly think that Burton has lost his spark, or is just half assing his projects. His recent films just don't seem to have much life to them.

The last movie of his I really enjoyed was Big Fish.

I rewatched this, Sober...and it stunk. Really piss poor. Weak CGI, and just overall very mehtastic.

Tim really needs to-

A) Stop with the remakes.
B) Stop working with Johnny Depp, and Boham Carter.
C) Make something original.

Or go away. Because all he makes is lame Hot Topic films now. And I'm a big Tim Burton fan.

I rewatched this, Sober...and it stunk. Really piss poor. Weak CGI, and just overall very mehtastic.

Tim really needs to-

A) Stop with the remakes.
B) Stop working with Johnny Depp, and Boham Carter.
C) Make something original.

Or go away. Because all he makes is lame Hot Topic films now. And I'm a big Tim Burton fan.

For a moment there, I though you were talking about Michael Bay...
:lol

Michael Bay makes Hot Topic films? Last time I checked, he made movies for horny teens, who like explosions.

Not movies that have stupid red haird clown people, and big headed _____es.

I honestly think that Burton has lost his spark, or is just half assing his projects. His recent films just don't seem to have much life to them.

The last movie of his I really enjoyed was Big Fish.

Sweeney Todd is one of the greatest film musicals ever made!!! :banghead

That movie gives me serious goose bumps every time I see it!!! Especially the whole ending sequence, although there are other spots... like when he says "At last, my arm is complete again", and the FTW organ music comes in. I freeken got goose bumps just typing that sentence!!!

It is one of a very few movies that I have seen where I have said that I wouldn't change one single second of it. Every frame was perfection IMO.

Can you tell I really loved Sweeney Todd? :)

And Alice was good too. Had some problems, but still better than a lot of crap I have no interest in seeing.

Sweeny Todd was good. But Alice was really really weak. Compare Sweeny to Alice. Theres a HUGE difference in quailty. HUGE.

Yes I agree that Todd is much higher on the list.

But Galactiboy said "The last movie of his I really enjoyed was Big Fish."

Sweeny Todd was since then.

Sweeney Todd is one of the greatest film musicals ever made!!! :banghead

:monkey4 :monkey4 :monkey4

Sorry Mag, but I gotta disagree with you there. I'm even okay with some musicals. Hell, Moulin Rouge is my favorite movie, but damn Sweeney Todd was awful. I've become immune to it, though, since it is one of my roomie's favorite movies.

The scenes where Helena Bonham Carter sings are the absolute worst. Her words were incomprehensible. The only part of the movie I enjoyed was when Todd threw her into the oven. Seeing her burn alive felt good after all the torture I went through watching the film.

Last edited:
yeah, sweeney todd was a pedestrian musical, at best. (i liked the production design though)

but it's a friggin masterpiece compared to the utter garbage that was alice. tim burton is just spinning his wheels nowadays. he just keeps repeating himself. he hasn't been exercising any of his considerable creative gifts for the last few years. what a waste.

:monkey4 :monkey4 :monkey4

Sorry Mag, but I gotta disagree with you there. I'm even okay with some musicals. Hell, Moulin Rouge is my favorite movie, but damn Sweeney Todd was awful. I've become immune to it, though, since it is one of my roomie's favorite movies.

The scenes where Helena Bonham Carter sings are the absolute worst. Her words were incomprehensible. The only part of the movie I enjoyed was when Todd threw her into the over. Seeing her burn alive felt good after all the torture I went through watching the film.

All I can say is that I loved every second of it. Literally...

Every. Single. Second.

Perhaps I am not as much of an expert at musicals as some, and I don't pick up on nuances like a singers ineffectual annunciation but I loved this movie. I own the soundtrack and have the songs basically memorized so I don't notice if the characters mumble a little. Certainly not a reason to call is awful.

Also I am a big horror movie buff, so I was very pleased with the practical effects in the neck slittings. Intentionally over the top to a poetic degree. Very cool! :stake I even love the color they chose for the blood. Very stark... again, poetic in its arterial redness!

The ending of the movie is one of the most devastatingly perfect I have ever seen on the screen. I too love it when HBC is thrown in the oven, not because I hated her performance but because it is the perfect end for her. But when Tobias slits Todd's throat and the camera pans away as an impossible sea of bright red blood flows over his dead wife and surrounds him on the floor... I just don't see how someone could be unaffected.

Anyway everyone is entitled to their opinion. Plus this thread isn't about Sweeney Todd.

You may now return to you regularly scheduled programing. :)

[P.S. I also love Moulin Rouge. But it comes in second (after Todd) when it comes to musicals.]

Yes I agree that Todd is much higher on the list.

But Galactiboy said "The last movie of his I really enjoyed was Big Fish."

Sweeny Todd was since then.

But that's true for me... Sweeney Todd was okay, but:
1) I don't really like musicals
2) I enjoyed it, but had no desire to rewatch it

However, I'd say since Big Fish; Sweeney Tood is #2 for me behind Corpse Bride. And while I enjoyed Corpse Bride... but i just didn't have the same spark as some of his work I love like Pee Wee's Big Adventure or Edward Scissorhands.

Saw this last week and have to say I was not blown away. The set designs were super cool - but I found myself getting rather bored through it - and talk about an anti-climatic ending. The whole movie is leading up to that battle with Alice and that was the lamest battle I think I have ever seen. And that dance Depp does was a true WTF moment. That could have been a cool musical number - instead it was some bad freak show.

I wasn't even impressed with Depp - and I love Depp. :( Too bad, that movie had a lot of potential.

But that's true for me... Sweeney Todd was okay, but:
1) I don't really like musicals
2) I enjoyed it, but had no desire to rewatch it

However, I'd say since Big Fish; Sweeney Tood is #2 for me behind Corpse Bride. And while I enjoyed Corpse Bride... but i just didn't have the same spark as some of his work I love like Pee Wee's Big Adventure or Edward Scissorhands.

Well we are in agreement regarding Edward Scissorhands. It's my favorite Burton film. With Sweenet Todd, Batman and Batman Returns all coming in around second place. I could probably rate them more percisely if I gave it more thought, but I have a hunch that in the end Todd would win out for 2nd place.

Not sure where Alice and Pee Wee would come in...

Back