Tim Burton's "9"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a very simple story, I'm a little surprised at the comments about it being complex.

It's an interesting little film - looks gorgeous with some very distinct and creative character designs. But like most everything Burton has a hand in - it's more about the style than the substance. And ultimately it wants to be a profound statement about how the human spirit can live on (even after humans are gone), but the message is a bit muddled. It's a pretty straightforward story, but thematically doesn't really work.

This should've been deep, and adult. It was was about as intelligent as a DreamWorks cartoon. (sans for Panda...that was just good)

Story was weak, characters were forgettable, great designs, interesting voice work, 1 good set piece, adult in the oddest places, overall a solid C. Not horrible but definitely forgettable.

Re: Shane Acker's "9"

I thought the film was a visual feast, but really light on story. It felt like there was a great mythology here waiting to be fleshed out, but the film was in such a hurry that it never really stopped long enough to let us appreciate the world or the characters. The movie really could have stood to be another half hour longer.

Well...
I loved it!!!
Really interesting story-line that could've been explored deeper, but I liked it...
easy to follow but with a lot of subtle references,
Awesome movie, visually amazing!! :rock!!

It was good. I'm echoing most everyone else in that it was visually awesome, but the story was weaksauce.

Also, as I was listening to the score and some of the themes, I thought, Wow, kinda sounds like a cheap interpretation of Danny Elfman. And lo and behold, it was Danny Elfman doing a cheap interpretation of Danny Elfman!

It was good. I'm echoing most everyone else in that it was visually awesome, but the story was weaksauce.

That's the thing, I don't think the story was that weak, what was weak was the explanation of the story. Another 10-15 minutes of exposition and/or explanation would have GREATLY increased my liking of the film

Burlap family.

SSS025.jpg

Back