Throwing away BOXES

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like some of the replies on here, I say ditch them. I'm on the boat that space is valuable real estate and I also don't ever plan on selling any of my collectibles. A number have also been wins/gifts and I would feel bad about going that route with them (selling).

Individual opinion will vary on the subject, obviously. Many times it will come down to what your significant other says to do.

:slap

Regardless, enjoy your collectibles (and the boxes, if that is your leaning)! In the long road they are all really cool, beautiful things...but still just "stuff".
:hi5:

Last edited:
Yeah I'm a "Box guy" I like to keep all my boxes including anything the box ships in if it has reference to the manufacture. For Example I collect Transformers and when I get one from Takara Japan sometimes it ships in the actual Tarkara shipper box which is cool to see. This has happened to me when buying Masterpiece Transformers.

So to recap I not only love the actual Box art, I also keep the Shipping box if it has anything to do with the manufacture and has model info on it...

I absolutely love the box for probably the first 2 minutes and then I completely forget about it. It ends up taking up space as I never look at it again, unless I need to move or sell an item.

I would love to get rid of my boxes (and part of me wishes figures came with simple and smaller boxes in order to reduce the cost of the figure - and save me space in my house), but the reason I keep them is because if I need to sell something, a big majority of us on this board are pretty obsessive about the boxes. I'll get waaay less for an item if I don't have the box (which I don't fully understand given that it is printed cardboard).

Worst comes to Worst place the boxes in the Attic space. That way they are out of the way and you can forget about them. If you ever have to sell your figures they will be there.

I don't know....I actually have some of my figures displayed with the Box behind my Figure. Whether it's a Masterpiece Transformer, or my New Hot Toy collection.

I have to say I do keep all the boxes. They are stored on a spare room.
I also think bout moving from time to time! At those times, I wish the figures came in Action Man sized "shoe boxes" ala the 70s. That said, the Superman box is as cool as the figure and the Bats boxes are really nice pieces of art.
The tumbler box acts as a coffee table ( kidding) !!
Nah! I couldn't throw this stuff away, but not because of reselling, because this stuff, printed cardboard, really is cool.

I got so many freaking boxes they literally take up about 15-20 sq feet stacked all the way to the ceiling. They're in the basement right now, but eventually I want to build out the basement and that 20 sq feet is needed.

Be pretty lame to rent a storage shed just for toy boxes that I may never need.

I got so many freaking boxes they literally take up about 15-20 sq feet stacked all the way to the ceiling. They're in the basement right now, but eventually I want to build out the basement and that 20 sq feet is needed.

Be pretty lame to rent a storage shed just for toy boxes that I may never need.

I hear ya.....Either way dont throw them out when you finish your basement. Just breakdown the boxes instead of leaving them constructed this way you still have them, but now they are all in a FLAT stack.

What if you move someday? It's going to be a real pain to move your collectibles if you don't have the boxes to secure them in.

I dunno. I've had people ask me to sell without the box and I was happy enough to do so as it cut down on my shipping costs.

You can sell stuff without the boxes. Either as full figures or as partouts. Having said that, I still wouldn't throw them out.

I do keep the HT boxes for storage, spare parts, and moving. They're nice enough, and serve a purpose.

I don't get why people save standard brown cardboard shipping boxes, though. Hoarders.

SnakeDoc

The Sideshow boxes usually fit snug into the brown shipping boxes so they don't require any more storage space. It gives you an extra layer of protection if you're moving your collection and you will have everything you need to ship it if you decide to sell. It makes perfect sense to hold onto the brown shipping boxes if you are going to keep the styrofoam inserts and color boxes anyways.

I toss every box instantly, I know it decreases the value, but I've become more selective so I don't sell as much as I used to as well so it's not as big of a deal. When I do sell, my fellow freaks get a steal!

I used to keep all my boxes, but I hated how much physical space my collection took up. Tossing all those boxes was very liberating for me.

My rule for the past two years is that all of my collection needs to fit on one bookcase and I keep maximum one hot toys box of parts. None of my collection strays past those boundaries so boxes always are first to go.

I toss every box instantly, I know it decreases the value, but I've become more selective so I don't sell as much as I used to as well so it's not as big of a deal. When I do sell, my fellow freaks get a steal!

I used to keep all my boxes, but I hated how much physical space my collection took up. Tossing all those boxes was very liberating for me.

My rule for the past two years is that all of my collection needs to fit on one bookcase and I keep maximum one hot toys box of parts. None of my collection strays past those boundaries so boxes always are first to go.

I hear ya on saving space...If you are going to throw them away, you could actually put them up for sale on Ebay, or even give them away here for people that don't have the box Art and want it. :)

In the Transformers world boxes are needed in case you want to sell the figure. The value gets cut down to a third of what you can get if you keep the original 30 year old box. Plus there are a lot of counterfeit toys out there and having the original box to match up against the counterfeit box is good to have.

Some statues have really sharp and fragile parts that sits well in the original foam packaging that is designed to protect these parts.

Using alternative packing will require some skills and luck not to damage these parts, esp when they cannot be removed.

I keep seeing people ask "but how will I ship them?".

There's this stuff called bubble wrap....

Most people buy without the intention to sell, most keep the box because they are like a part of the toy, throwing the box is like throwing a big part of the toy, if not the biggest part of the toy.

Most of the Japanese boxes has nice designs, American toy box tend to have so so designs.

I try to shrink my boxes if they use cardboard instead of foams/plastic holder. Most boxes can be shrunk flat if you discard the inner holders if space is a big concern i would suggest that.

But remember everytime you throw away a box you save space but also wasted the postage fee you paid for shipping the box. Box can end up half the weight & biggest dimension. If you have no intention to keep the box you should request the seller to ship the item loose while nicely packed you can save half the postage cost.

Also having many boxes to worry about space will remind you to keep check with what you are buying, and buy what you really want.

I hear ya on saving space...If you are going to throw them away, you could actually put them up for sale on Ebay, or even give them away here for people that don't have the box Art and want it. :)

In the Transformers world boxes are needed in case you want to sell the figure. The value gets cut down to a third of what you can get if you keep the original 30 year old box. Plus there are a lot of counterfeit toys out there and having the original box to match up against the counterfeit box is good to have.

Most people buy without the intention to sell, most keep the box because they are like a part of the toy, throwing the box is like throwing a big part of the toy, if not the biggest part of the toy.

Most of the Japanese boxes has nice designs, American toy box tend to have so so designs.

I have been a Transformer collector for many years. My Japanese Masterpiece line has very nice comic book style box art on them. It also has the cool looking Japanese Kanji symbols on them which I don't know how to read, but look cool. For me the box is part of my display. For others I can see that they just take up space.

Back