ThreeZero Toys: 1:6 AMC's The Walking Dead Michonne's Pet Walkers

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ThreeZero Toys: 1:6 AMC's The Walking Dead Rick Grimes PREVIEW P.289

I've had over 100 over the past few years, and for me it's a crap shoot. I'm rarely surprised one way or the other with something in-hand after seeing initial pics.

Don't get me wrong, I'm *never* surprised, but I can appreciate the differences in hand beyond what can be seen in some photos. You can't instantly rotate a photo to see another angle or the light changing in real time over the paint and textures of the figure. Photos rarely do a figure justice. As an art, photography is not about capturing reality, so when it comes to these figures, even the nicest and most artistic set of photos won't necessarily capture everything that can be appreciated in hand.

I just thought what I wrote initially, "stuff usually looks better in hand" was a much more succinct and approachable way to write exactly what I said above.

Hot Toys doesn't deliver the wow they used to. Yes, they have a very high standard, but there is something that isn't as impressive as it used to be. Perhaps it is simply complacency founded in expectation. However, I think we've reached a point where Hot Toys should be delivering Steve Rogers, Mandarin, and Leia likenesses on every release, and they are losing that stride significantly. I'm still quite perplexed that they have not been able to deliver a truly 100% accurate Arnold sculpt.

Now, I'm not saying Star Ace or 3Z usurps them in a good amount of aspects, notably paint (Hot Toys eyes blow my ****ing mind), but they are good.

For example. We should be making a stink out of Jesse. That is below a 3Z expected standard by far. This though? This looks good, really good. This is pushing Tyrion good.

What I think I'm saying is that we cut Hot Toys a little more slack out of pure expectation and criticize other companies heavily for the same reasons. Now that's not a bad thing (see Asmus and the improvement), but we also need to have a realistic grasp on how things develop. I'm not saying we should let ****** figures slip by, but I'm also saying it's hard to expect Hot Toys quality when these companies aren't close to as large, established, or rooted in very personal methods that make them work to a T. But as a consumer base it is important to push for that Hot Toys standard because it drives the market forward; it must be done in reason though.

I agree with Pixel about Rick. This is looking good from preliminary photos and I'm excited to see more. I believe that the lighting and the Photoshop makes the beard elongate the face. If I look at the image and consider where his jawline would naturally end, it seems just about right to me.

I think we've reached a point where Hot Toys should be delivering Steve Rogers, Mandarin, and Leia likenesses on every release
Steve Rogers level? No thanks. Leia level? Nice enough. Mandarin level? Yeeeeeeeeees.
We should be making a stink out of Jesse. That is below a 3Z expected standard by far.
To me, 3Zero have been inconsistent with their level of impressiveness on their portraits, to really have an expected standard from me.

Ned - Horrible
Jesse - Meh
Walter - Undecided, but I'm thinking alright.
Snow - Alright
Tyrion - Nice
Rick - Nice

Nothing to rival HT's best sculpts.
This looks good, really good. This is pushing Tyrion good.
Looks really good to me too. Best Rick Grimes sculpt? Maybe not. I think best sculpt might go to those custom painted WGP sculpts, with the bearded YH Ha sculpt looking nice as well. But even then, I don't feel like they are miles ahead of 3Zero's offering.

I agree with Pixel. Most figs do look better in hand. Some don't. SSCs Clone Wars Anakin looked horrible in pics. Decent in hand. HTs Bruce Banner looked off in pics...looked just as off in hand.

But I would say generally, they do look better in hand.

I think like KM80 said it really varies from piece to piece and like Pix said, what sometimes happens is your perception gets changed by the up close and personal presence of certain figures. They may not necessarily look much better than what pics first showed, but other forces weigh in that you could only truly appreciate when the fig is in your grasp. Other times certain figs are just straight out unphotogenic (for whatever odd reason) while others appear on camera exactly how they appear in hand. With the unphotogenic ones, the finer details that make them look better in person tend to get washed out in pics which is a weird phenomenon to me.

What I think I'm saying is that we cut Hot Toys a little more slack out of pure expectation and criticize other companies heavily for the same reasons. Now that's not a bad thing (see Asmus and the improvement), but we also need to have a realistic grasp on how things develop. I'm not saying we should let ****** figures slip by, but I'm also saying it's hard to expect Hot Toys quality when these companies aren't close to as large, established, or rooted in very personal methods that make them work to a T. But as a consumer base it is important to push for that Hot Toys standard because it drives the market forward; it must be done in reason though.

This is very true. HT is by far the biggest producer and is probably running way more efficiently than any other 1/6 company at this point. But still and all most consumers don’t think about the back end logistics and it’s just easy to say “If HT can put this set out for $XXX.99 and includes X,Y,Z, how come your set costs the same/more and isn’t the same quality?” No doubt HT isn’t easy to compete with, but anyone entering the industry should know that everything they put out will be compared first to HT and then to other top producers. It’s hard but if you want to go up against that giant, it’s up to the company to find factories that deliver high quality paint apps, consistency and good QC or they’re just not going to stack up to HT. Somehow Blitzway, who’s barley even in the race, found a way to produce a fantastic Carlito that is neck & neck with HT (actually, that was FOTY in my book).

But don’t get me wrong, I think their Turtles, Bumblebee, Chappie and all that kind of stuff is fantastic; and without being a fan and only having minimal knowledge, I can say all their video game and anime stuff looks cool too. The only thing that worries me is their human portraits and some of their outfits.

Rick does look better than most of the human portraits that were launched so far, so I guess we can put him up there close to Tyrion. I just hope they can polish up on the clothing because that’s where Jesse & Walt really lack (even something as simple as the jeans on the Pets were a second tier quality)

Last edited:

I know I'll see a full shot of the figure with accessories like the red machete, an AK and the revolver and I'll be salivating for a pre-order. I just want Threezero to keep them coming after this.

I know I'll see a full shot of the figure with accessories like the red machete, an AK and the revolver and I'll be salivating for a pre-order. I just want Threezero to keep them coming after this.

I'm just airing some stuff out but I'm sure I'll be right there with ya :lol

ThreeZero Toys: 1:6 AMC's The Walking Dead Rick Grimes PREVIEW P.289

Agreed 100 pct!

12115855_1219756794716813_3040677848988686715_n.jpg

Well, I have to agree with the others that are lukewarm about this. I'm a big fan so my desire isn't waning. I'm still in for Gov, Shane, different looks of some main characters and most walkers that they'd probably do, but I hate to say I'm not loving their human likenesses overall.

Threezero is putting out a lot of other great stuff but I feel like they are falling more toward the SSC side of the quality spectrum than they are the HT side when it comes to human likenesses and paint quality. Even the outfits seem to be more of a B/B- level as opposed to HT's A+ (mass production) quality stuff. Tyrion turned out really well (aside from the hands) but that looks to be their stand out figure. I've yet to see another human sculpt of theirs match him in likeness and paint.

I've been waiting a while and I've been keeping optimistic but I hate to say at this point I wish someone else got this license. To me, Star Ace would be the prime candidate. Their likenesses, production paint, outfits and accessories are all riding right on the heels of HT quality. Hell, even Storm Collectibles are producing a high quality product that's also nearing HT level.

Maybe this isn't the best possible pic to go on and maybe we need to see more, but judging by the other human figs we've seen so far I think this will be right in line with that level of quality

The only reason figures sometimes may look good in hand is cause "your expectations are lowered" when a sculpt is not a ace sculpt right out of the bat!
Sometimes one may get pleasantly surprised if the outfits look better with some futzing or due to creative packaging and or accessories being top notch in hand!

Almost always sculpt likeness shines better in promo and professional pics vs in hand! So if a sculpt is "well not too good in the promo and preod pics it most likely won't seem better in hand!

However this while not perfect is a light year ahead of both Walter and Jesse - specially Jessie! That sculpt and outfit is horrible.

I've had over 100 over the past few years, and for me it's a crap shoot. I'm rarely surprised one way or the other with something in-hand after seeing initial pics.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/.../137019-leon-911-partial-collection-40-a.html

There's an awful lot of pontificating in this thread based on one promotional picture. At least wait for the pre-order when we'll have more photos to look at before passing judgment on whether to buy it.

This looks pretty solid, but the eyes, the area around the eyes....throws off the likeness to the actor, to me.

The public conversation ends at my last post. You can send me a PM if you want to discuss things further.

Back