1/6 ThreeZero: SPECIES Sil 1/6 Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sil arrived here today. She looks great. Very brown but still good. Also a lot bigger then i thought she would be! She's actually a little too tall for the spot i had planned.. Added a few quick pics for size and how she looks under an ikea led strip :) With some light the transparency is way better then what i expected. Unfortunately one of the spikes on her back was loose, pain to get back in. This is really a fragile figure. Anyway, really happy with how she turned out. 1.jpg 2.jpg

Woohoo! Sil has arrived!

Just unpacked her and had time to mess around a bit, so here's first impressions.

Packaging is fantastic, really top quality, and the figure is well protected. The design and graphics however aren't so hot, but that has more to do with the source material IMHO, I never liked the movie poster, it always felt somewhat cheap and silly.

In hand the figure is very nice. It has a nice sturdy feel to it, and the materials feel supple and strong (that sounds weird, but it the best I can describe it).

It is a shame that the coloring they chose has precious little to do with the wonderful greenish iridescent quality of the prop, as the brownish color really makes the figure look somewhat dull, as well as drowning out much of the detail of the sculpt. With good lighting you do get to see some nice shades and effects due to the translucent material, but in regular lighting conditions it all gets lost.

The overall shape and proportions look great, although I do have a feeling they overdid it with the ample, child-bearing hips... The sculpted detail is wonderful, although a bit soft, no doubt due to the material itself. In the parts made of hard plastic the detail is much sharper. What little you can see of the inner details and shapes looks fantastic.

Articulation is obviously limited due to the soft plastic over most of the joints, but it's still surprisingly good, all in all. It's comparable to the old Medicom 12" Giger alien, slightly better.

The base is surprisingly heavy, and a nice touch, even though the decorative sculpt is really a poor attempt at copying Giger's style. The stand is nice, but it takes a bit of work to find the sweet spot where it actually supports the figure well.

So, overall, I'm very happy. I do realize that I sound a bit negative with my reviews, as I usually spend more time explaining the things I don't like instead of detailing the ones I do, but this is a very fine, very well made figure of a fantastic character that nobody else will probably ever do. So, if you're a fan of the movie, or of Giger, you really should get this.

A couple of thoughts on the choices made by Threezero regarding the manufacture of the figure.
If it had been up to me, I would've done the entire figure in hard plastic, leaving only the pelvis in softer rubber/plastic to allow for better hip articulation. The sculpt of the creature is perfect to disguise joints in an unobtrusive way, which would have given the figure better articulation, a sharper detail, better durability (probably) and better control of the color scheme.
Again and again I'm dumbfounded by companies insisting on going the rubber suit route with these Giger creations that because of their bio-mechanical nature give ample opportunity to design the joints into the sculpts themselves.

Again and again I'm dumbfounded by companies insisting on going the rubber suit route with these Giger creations that because of their bio-mechanical nature give ample opportunity to design the joints into the sculpts themselves.
rubber suits on figures are like apple - dumb, useless, unreliable, inconvenient, but some fat old executive thinks it's fashionable.

Late to the party but I just won this figure in an auction on ebay--I am eager to get my hands on it! I paid $160 for it, which I think is the most I would have paid. It doesn't come with any accessories, nor is it insanely accurate to the movies, regardless I am excited since the Species franchise is one of my favorites for the Horror genre. My only problem is on how to pose it... I've heard the figures material limits the ability to do much with it. But I'm hopeful that it would fit in with my (small) 1/6 scale horror collection. Will update once I received it!

Back