Thoughts on Dyeing a Uniform

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzzhead

Super Freak
Reaction score
Dyeing the entire thing to match in one sitting is pretty much impossible. The colors contrast too much to get it even. You could try and match the tan to the green by dyeing it (just the tan) grey, but its a little complicated if you're not used to working with dyes. You're probably better off trying to remove the color completely and going from there.

You do have a couple options though. One is to bleach the pieces or use RIT color remover. Neither is guaranteed to strip the fabric down to white. If using bleach always make sure you have the time to keep an eye on it, and don't do it for long periods of time. Bleach will eventually destroy the fabric. Sometimes its the only thing that will do the job though. I find a 50/50 mix of bleach and water is good to start with, and if possible set the container in direct sunlight.

Color remover is less harsh on the material. It comes in powder form and you mix as you would a dye bath. Make sure you use good ventilation though as Color Remover absolutely wreaks. :lecture It can take a little longer to really get it to do its thing, but I've left things in it and gone to work and when I came home they were fine.

More tips for dyeing can be found here:

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107555&highlight=dying

Dyeing the entire thing to match in one sitting is pretty much impossible. The colors contrast too much to get it even. You could try and match the tan to the green by dyeing it (just the tan) grey, but its a little complicated if you're not used to working with dyes. You're probably better off trying to remove the color completely and going from there.

You do have a couple options though. One is to bleach the pieces or use RIT color remover. Neither is guaranteed to strip the fabric down to white. If using bleach always make sure you have the time to keep an eye on it, and don't do it for long periods of time. Bleach will eventually destroy the fabric. Sometimes its the only thing that will do the job though. I find a 50/50 mix of bleach and water is good to start with, and if possible set the container in direct sunlight.

Color remover is less harsh on the material. It comes in powder form and you mix as you would a dye bath. Make sure you use good ventilation though as Color Remover absolutely wreaks. :lecture It can take a little longer to really get it to do its thing, but I've left things in it and gone to work and when I came home they were fine.

More tips for dyeing can be found here:

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107555&highlight=dying

Very cool Mando, one dumb question though... I'm about to rit strip a vest and was going to wet it down and throw the whole thing in. Should I definitely take time to remove and undo buckles ?

What's the vest if you don't mind my asking? If its got nylon straps, or any kind of grosgrain ribbon looking bits those won't dye. Nothing synthetical with take to dye, at least very well. Lighter colors will pick it up slightly but overall the chemistry isn't there.

If you're worried about the bleach or Color remover harming plastic buckles I would watch it (particularly w/ bleach), but you should be okay so long as you do it in a quick amount of time. I've bleached things with metal rivets and had no problems with rust.

Hmm, its the new Barney Ross tactical vest, now I'm wondering if Rit is going to strip it at all. I figured the ruber part would stay black, but I thought the rest would strip, but I'm sure its probably all synthetic.

Thanks for the advice btw.

That's actually somewhat easier because you can paint everything on that vest! :D Just use watery coats of acryllic; 50/50 give or take. Cheap wal-mart paint works just fine. Set it in front of a fan and walk away for a bit then come back apply more and set it back in front of the fan.

That's actually somewhat easier because you can paint everything on that vest! :D Just use watery coats of acryllic; 50/50 give or take. Cheap wal-mart paint works just fine. Set it in front of a fan and walk away for a bit then come back apply more and set it back in front of the fan.

:yess:

Thank you sir!

Thanks Mando! I appreciate all of the guidance! I think I will go with the color remover as it seems to be the less harsh route. Do you know if you can switch to the bleach after the fact if desired?

Thanks again!!!!

:hi5:

Well, The FBI 2.0 Uniform is in the RIT Colour Remover now along with my Uniform stuff for Wild Weasel. Man, the Dye used on the FBI Uniform disappeared in seconds! The BBI Flightsuit, not so much...........

:rotfl

Well, Colour Remover has done almost nothing to the BBI Flightsuit! I guess I need to rinse/wash it big time and hit the bleach! Was hoping to dye it tonight for my WW!!!! :gah::impatient::banghead

Well, Colour Remover has done almost nothing to the BBI Flightsuit! I guess I need to rinse/wash it big time and hit the bleach! Was hoping to dye it tonight for my WW!!!! :gah::impatient::banghead

I used color remover on a tan flight suit then bleach and it's white now

When using the color remover, be sure to stretch out the clothes when wet before they dry or it will cause them to shrink.

When using the color remover, be sure to stretch out the clothes when wet before they dry or it will cause them to shrink.

Thanks EF! The Flightsuit for WW is still wet, needed to rinse well prior to switching to bleach! the FBI Uni I hope will still be o.k. when I get home! Damn! :panic::panic::panic:

Thanks EF! The Flightsuit for WW is still wet, needed to rinse well prior to switching to bleach! the FBI Uni I hope will still be o.k. when I get home! Damn! :panic::panic::panic:

EF! It looks like I am o.k.! The FBI Uniform looks luckily the same size as the one I have yet to strip. Phewwwwww! :yess:

Thanks again for the tip though!!!

Back