Thor (The Movie) *Spoiler- contains character images*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, both those parts lead to Thor becoming a more caring person. It just played so perfectly for me.

My favourite scene was
Spoiler Spoiler:

My favourite scene was
Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

It really doesn't have to take much in life for someone to have a meaningful emotional and ideological change. The moment he believed that he would never see Asgard again, never be a powerful being again, never be king, never see his mother and father again, never see his friends again, be stuck on Earth forever, in that instance, it was enough for him to fall to his knees and allow mere mortals to drag him away.

His soul was drained and instantly changed right there and then, especially with the last nail in the coffin when Loki informed him that not even his mother wanted him back!

If not for being rescused by a mere mortal, Thor would've sat in that chair a crushed, depressed, lost soul having nothing but his terrible memories of the errors of his ways which lead him to the life he was now stuck with!
While il admit that this was a good development moment for Thor, this really only broke him down to the point where he could reach development. It never really progressed after that.

At this point his motives were still selfish. Il never return home. My mother and friends do not want me. I want my powers back.

Where did he learn to only use force when neccessary? When did he learn compassion for his enemies? When did he learn to think before he used agression? These were the main factors in his development, and yet they were not specifically adressed. And given that he was only on earth for 2 days it is hard to buy a radical change in personality.

And most importantly, why exactly do Thor and Portman love one another? If her being with him wasn't the main focus of his redemption, why even bother cramming her in to an already crowded movie.

Regarding Loki being the one with the most reasonable actions, I see this as a good thing. It's nice to have characters with changing emotional dynamics, just like in real life. If we get conflicted while watching the movie, that's a good thing....because real life is full of conflicts. Bad people are still capable of doing good and Good people are certainly capable of being bad.
The problem is that when you create a sympathetic villian, it is important to make thier actions justifyable yet ultimatly misguided.

In this case I was with Loki more or less 100%. Almost everything he did was the best choice.

No doubt that a 3 hour Thor movie would've had more room to breath but so would a 4 hour movie over the 3 hour one and a 5 hour over the 4.
2.5 would have done fine.
Just slowing the movie down a bit and giving some more room for development. Maybe skipping ahead in the middle and establishing Thor settling into a human life for more than two days it would have been easier to buy a huge change in personality, even if we didn't see all of it..

I saw it last night. And im going to be honest, I didn't like it. Heres why.

Tht thing about this movie is that it wasn't really an origin story in the typical sense. Thor, for all intents and purposes was always Thor. He always had his powers, always knew why he had them and how to use them, and even always had his costume.

The entire plot of the movie is that his father does not believe he is repsonsible enough to wield them, so he takes them away until he has matured enough to earn them back. Fair enough.

However this means that the plot is entirely absed around Thor growing into a hero worthy of his powers, essentially making the whole film about characher development. Once again this is fair enough. The problem is for a film whose premise wraps around the development of the main character, there is little if any character development.

We never see Thor progress, develop, or learn why his actions in the beginning of the film were wrong. He is just suddenly different at the end. The only time that he is explicitly told what he is doing is wrong is when he is instructed by Natalie Portman not to smash coffee cups when he is done with them.

Which brings me to my next point. We are set up to believe that Thor's romance with Natalie Portman is the catalyst that bring's about this change. Once again it is a decent enough premise, but we are never shown enough of the two of them together to really believe that there is a romance there. All we see is two attractive people who knew eachother for 2 days, most of which was spent with Ms. Portman thinking that Thor was an inebriated, mentally ill, homeless man. There is really only a brief scene where the two of them bond, and even that is cut short.

Why does he love her? Why does she love him? With the little we saw of them in the movie, it doesn't appear to be more than two attractive people who are upset at the end that they never got the chance to do it. We are basically expected to believe that becuase they are young, attractive, and know eachother; they must be in love.

Instead, what we get in place of development are countless CGI battles featuring Thor's friends, who are a bunch of cartoons; and Loki. Loki is a tough one. On one hand he is supposed to be the films villian, but on the other he never does anything particularly villanous for most of it. In fact its hard to argue with most of his logic. We are led to believe that Loki was wrong for alerting Odin when Thor mindlessly went off in search of a battle early in the film, but that seemed to be the most level headed thing that anyone did in this movie. Thor was an overeager ass looking for a fight, and that selfishness could have easily ignited a war between the two planets (in actuality it did, we just never hear about it again after the fact). Thor was not fit to be a king, and his banishment was clearly the best thing that could have happened to him.

Loki's evil plan is also to use a mystic relic to kill off the enemies of his race, but that also seems to be a fairly levelheaded decision given the level of agression they have shown. And we as an audience are expected to feel tension when thier lives are at risk? The same people who have previously attacked Asthguard twice, tried to kill Odin, and that Thor was more than eager to kill with his bare hands earlier in the film? You can see how the audience would be conflicted here.

Overall this was a film whose plot was entirely based around character development that we never see, a love story that we also never see, and a villian whose motivations are the most justifiable out of any of the characters.

I must say you are correct. I did enjoy Thor. I'll likely see it again because I can IMAGINE all of the things above happened between cuts of the movie. HOWEVER, what you are describing is a much more developed screenplay. The script that went into production was likely rushed.

While il admit that this was a good development moment for Thor, this really only broke him down to the point where he could reach development. It never really progressed after that.

At this point his motives were still selfish. Il never return home. My mother and friends do not want me. I want my powers back.

Where did he learn to only use force when neccessary? When did he learn compassion for his enemies? When did he learn to think before he used agression? These were the main factors in his development, and yet they were not specifically adressed. And given that he was only on earth for 2 days it is hard to buy a radical change in personality.

And most importantly, why exactly do Thor and Portman love one another? If her being with him wasn't the main focus of his redemption, why even bother cramming her in to an already crowded movie.

The problem is that when you create a sympathetic villian, it is important to make thier actions justifyable yet ultimatly misguided.

In this case I was with Loki more or less 100%. Almost everything he did was the best choice.

2.5 would have done fine.
Just slowing the movie down a bit and giving some more room for development. Maybe skipping ahead in the middle and establishing Thor settling into a human life for more than two days it would have been easier to buy a huge change in personality, even if we didn't see all of it..

I would never turn down a 2.5 Thor, that's for certain.

The romance wasn't the catalyst, just like lightning, his transformation came instaneously when he couldn't lift the hammer.

If not for being rescued by mere mortals, he was DONE!

Here was once a powerful deity now in need of puny insects to save him.

The byproduct of all of this is a transformation from arrogance to gratitude, from indulgence in selfish irresponsible behavior to sacrifice for the greater good of others.

Last edited:
The 3d was way too dark in Asgard to see much separation. The movie was a 7/10 for me. Ironman I is still the best out there, even compared to The Dark Knight.

I have to say that I went in to this film with high expectations. I love Branagh and Thor is probably my favorite Marvel character. But the movie surpassed my expectations and I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would.

Yes, the switch from arrogant god to humble mortal was rushed. Yes, the love story needed at least another beat, especially since it's supposed to be so important. The inclusion of SHIELD seemed natural, as did Hawkeye, but if we lost it to give the romance more screen time I wouldn't have missed it.

But the relationships, the characters, the battles were all well developed and fun to watch. I never thought the Warriors 3 would get much screen time, and they didn't get a lot, but what we did get was perfect for the characters.

The one thing I was worried about and what they did really well and is a complete departure from the comics - integrating the world of Thor into the world of Marvel movies. Asgard isn't really the realm of the gods but of extra-dimensional or extra-celestial world with science so advanced it looks like magic.

Bravo to Branagh, Hemsworth, Hiddleston and the entire cast.

I have to say that I went in to this film with high expectations. I love Branagh and Thor is probably my favorite Marvel character. But the movie surpassed my expectations and I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would.

Yes, the switch from arrogant god to humble mortal was rushed. Yes, the love story needed at least another beat, especially since it's supposed to be so important. The inclusion of SHIELD seemed natural, as did Hawkeye, but if we lost it to give the romance more screen time I wouldn't have missed it.

But the relationships, the characters, the battles were all well developed and fun to watch. I never thought the Warriors 3 would get much screen time, and they didn't get a lot, but what we did get was perfect for the characters.

The one thing I was worried about and what they did really well and is a complete departure from the comics - integrating the world of Thor into the world of Marvel movies. Asgard isn't really the realm of the gods but of extra-dimensional or extra-celestial world with science so advanced it looks like magic.

Yeah, the entire crew on the film just nailed the ____ out of it. Loved really everything about it and it just all came together in a perfect storm. This movie had what I felt was very well done character development as well as plenty of action.

Saw Thor earlier today and man was it fun movie to watch!

Just enough of Jane Foster, Sif and the Warriors Three and we even got Hawkeye! :yess:

The small nods to the comic throughout the movie just rocked!

The one billboard that said "Land of enchantment...journey into mystery" had my inner fanboy squealing like a school girl! :lol

And Stan Lee's cameo was SWEET! :yess:

Loved it. Taking my dad to go see it tonight. This will be my second time :)

Iron Man watch out, there is a new Superhero in town.

Bingo. I was hoping for something strong and the result exceeded my expectations. Loved the Warriors 3 (especially Ray Stevenson's delivery) and Agent Barton was great with that wonderful line that has already cemented Hawkeye's character (something along the lines of) "Hurry up and make the call-- I'm starting to root for the guy."

Yeah, the entire crew on the film just nailed the ____ out of it. Loved really everything about it and it just all came together in a perfect storm. This movie had what I felt was very well done character development as well as plenty of action.

Action mixed with great visuals and storytelling that actually had characters beyond the usual comic offerings-- and it made wonderful connections to the source material that I really didn't think that they'd be able to do in the time given.

Saw Thor earlier today and man was it fun movie to watch!

Just enough of Jane Foster, Sif and the Warriors Three and we even got Hawkeye! :yess:

The small nods to the comic throughout the movie just rocked!

The one billboard that said "Land of enchantment...journey into mystery" had my inner fanboy squealing like a school girl! :lol

And Stan Lee's cameo was SWEET! :yess:

Stan Lee's cameo was great-- and as we sat through the credits waiting for the extra scene I loved seeing "Stan Lee's stunt double" identified... :lol

favorite line..... "STEROIDS!!!!"

Lots of great lines in this movie--- Kat Dennings' character of Darcy almost always got a crowd reaction in the theatre that I was in "Does he need CPR? Cause I can totally do CPR."-- Thor entering the Pet Shop--- the comedy wasn't lowbrow it actually fit into context and the overall story (nudge nudge... take a hint Michael Bay) and the audience I was sitting with really enjoyed those moments of humour.

Maybe one of the best performances was Stellan Skarsgård who gave a very subtle skeptic's view of the situation-- but the moment he started to actually see that one of his childhood legends/heroes was walking before him every beat was perfect... Loved their interaction with the boilermakers... "You might not be the god of thunder, but you should be." Also it bodes well for The Avengers if he returns with something more substantial to sink his teeth into-- whether if that's as an expert, puppet, or evil vessel... :wink1:

Not using the spoiler links anymore. If you haven't seen this movie yet then you shouldn't be in this thread.

Action mixed with great visuals and storytelling that actually had characters beyond the usual comic offerings-- and it made wonderful connections to the source material that I really didn't think that they'd be able to do in the time given.

Yup, thats what I'm talking about right there. It just feels like it has literally no holes. Which is not what I expected at all because there are almost always a couple for me with any of these comic movies.

I saw it last night. And im going to be honest, I didn't like it. Heres why.

Tht thing about this movie is that it wasn't really an origin story in the typical sense. Thor, for all intents and purposes was always Thor. He always had his powers, always knew why he had them and how to use them, and even always had his costume.

The entire plot of the movie is that his father does not believe he is repsonsible enough to wield them, so he takes them away until he has matured enough to earn them back. Fair enough.

However this means that the plot is entirely absed around Thor growing into a hero worthy of his powers, essentially making the whole film about characher development. Once again this is fair enough. The problem is for a film whose premise wraps around the development of the main character, there is little if any character development.

We never see Thor progress, develop, or learn why his actions in the beginning of the film were wrong. He is just suddenly different at the end. The only time that he is explicitly told what he is doing is wrong is when he is instructed by Natalie Portman not to smash coffee cups when he is done with them.

Which brings me to my next point. We are set up to believe that Thor's romance with Natalie Portman is the catalyst that bring's about this change. Once again it is a decent enough premise, but we are never shown enough of the two of them together to really believe that there is a romance there. All we see is two attractive people who knew eachother for 2 days, most of which was spent with Ms. Portman thinking that Thor was an inebriated, mentally ill, homeless man. There is really only a brief scene where the two of them bond, and even that is cut short.

Why does he love her? Why does she love him? With the little we saw of them in the movie, it doesn't appear to be more than two attractive people who are upset at the end that they never got the chance to do it. We are basically expected to believe that becuase they are young, attractive, and know eachother; they must be in love.

Instead, what we get in place of development are countless CGI battles featuring Thor's friends, who are a bunch of cartoons; and Loki. Loki is a tough one. On one hand he is supposed to be the films villian, but on the other he never does anything particularly villanous for most of it. In fact its hard to argue with most of his logic. We are led to believe that Loki was wrong for alerting Odin when Thor mindlessly went off in search of a battle early in the film, but that seemed to be the most level headed thing that anyone did in this movie. Thor was an overeager ass looking for a fight, and that selfishness could have easily ignited a war between the two planets (in actuality it did, we just never hear about it again after the fact). Thor was not fit to be a king, and his banishment was clearly the best thing that could have happened to him.

Loki's evil plan is also to use a mystic relic to kill off the enemies of his race, but that also seems to be a fairly levelheaded decision given the level of agression they have shown. And we as an audience are expected to feel tension when thier lives are at risk? The same people who have previously attacked Asthguard twice, tried to kill Odin, and that Thor was more than eager to kill with his bare hands earlier in the film? You can see how the audience would be conflicted here.

Overall this was a film whose plot was entirely based around character development that we never see, a love story that we also never see, and a villian whose motivations are the most justifiable out of any of the characters.

Thank you for this post - it summed pretty much all the issues I had with the film. The screenplay seemed strongly underdeveloped on the count of characterization, and plainly cliched at times.

I realize that a 'popcorn-film' can have some humor to relieve tension, but the consistently juvenile schtick became tiresome quickly (especially the slapped-on, one-dimensional, character of Darcy).

For the 150 million that was reportedly spent on this film, they might have wanted to invest a little more in the writing-department. Like not having a cheesy, predictable love-angle in every super-hero film?

The story's there, but the narrative execution was lackluster. With a few tweaks and slightly more serious approach this could have been a wonderful film.

The visuals and Chris Hemsworth were great, but no more than a 6/10 for me.

Eye of the beholder.

Some may choose to view this movie as undercooked, cliche and unoffending generic and also believe that it was purposedly made this way by Marvel for whatever nefarious financial reasons they may have had. :dunno

But I choose to view it grateful that the God of Thunder has finally arrived on the big screen in a more than respectable production. :rock :clap :rock

Bring on Cap, bring on Avengers, bring on Thor 2, electric boogaloo!

Last edited:
I really like it.

Loved the mentions of Don Blake, Hawkeye's cameo, the spinning hammer and all the humor.

Question: Maybe I missed the answer to this, but did they say what friend Stella emailed for help?

Back