THOR: The Dark World

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1470255_10152066516553690_1767543029_n__span.jpg

That's gorgeous.

Saw this yesterday.
Genuinely surprised how schizophrenic this movie seemed.
The "comedy" didn't serve the story as a whole.
I think I lol'd twice during the movie.
During Lokis impersonation of a certain star spangled Avenger, which was genuinely humerous. Then at the ludicrous scene of Thor hanging his hammer on a coat rack.
The rest of of the "funny" scenes were really groaners and eye rollers.
How anybody can think Kat Dennings and that old pantless professor added anything is beyond me. The Thor/Kurse fight was way too short. Marvel seemed to have trouble dialing in Thors powers and strength and Odin seems underpowered in the extreme.
The prologue with Bor and the Asgardian army duking it out with the Elves was pretty impressive. All the action seemed way too short and the comedic scenes waaaay too long.
It seemed the movie was done by two directors:
The serious and visually stunning one by Alan Taylor and the comedic and insipid one by Kevin Feige.
I have visions of Feige slipping into the editing room after Taylor has put his version in the can and then Feige making a switcheroo with his bastardized version.

I hope Taylor comes back and Disney sidelines Feige.

Also have a desire for a HT Asgardian soldier with shield as well as a Bor figure.

Last edited:
Saw this yesterday.
Genuinely surprised how schizophrenic this movie seemed.
The "comedy" didn't serve the story as a whole.
I think I lol'd twice during the movie.
During Lokis impersonation of a certain star spangled Avenger, which was genuinely humerous. Then at the ludicrous scene of Thor hanging his hammer on a coat rack.
The rest of of the "funny" scenes were really groaners and eye rollers.
How anybody can think Kat Dennings and that old pantless professor added anything is beyond me. The Thor/Kurse fight was way too short.
Marvel seemed to have trouble dialing in Thors powers and strength and Odin seems underpowered in the extreme.
The prologue with Bor and the Asgardian army duking it out with the Elves was pretty impressive. All the action seemed way too short and the comedic scenes waaaay too long.
It seemed the movie was done by two directors:
The serious and visually stunning one by Alan Taylor and the comedic and insipid one by Kevin Feige.
I have visions of Feige slipping into the editing room after Taylor has put his version in the can and then Feige making a switcheroo with his bastardized version.

I hope Taylor comes back and Disney sidelines Feige.

Also have a desire for a HT Asgardian soldier with shield as well as a Bor figure.

Agreed with the Bolded

Okay, I'm posting this before reading one single review in this thread (so I have no idea if this is universally hated here):

Just saw it last night, and LOVED it! SO much better than the trailers seemed to indicate. I was most excited to watch the Winter Solder preview (which FUH-REAKING ROCKED) but Thor was great fun!

So much cleverness throughout.

I admit that the first half of the movie felt like "Jane Foster: The Dark World" but once they helped Loki escape it really became Thor's film and it was thoroughly enjoyable. Great mix of fantasy, drama, wit, even some Bridget Jones-style humor. Looking forward to the Blu-ray.

I also just saw this today and had a great time. Very entertaining. Loki was the best part of the movie for me. Best portrayal of a villain in a superhero movie. Can't wait to see where he pops up next.

One thing that kept coming to my attention during this movie was how we're really starting to hit a bit of an overload with this kind of thing (these fantasy world-building adventure pics)...the design ideas are starting to overlap and call out to one another, intentionally or not. Sometimes it can be kinda cool...but it's a fine line and it's almost like the art directors are running out of ways to present these fantastical places to us. I was seeing visual nods from things as far back as "Zardoz" and the "80s "Flash Gordon" and "Krull" right up to more current fare like Jackon's "Rings" movies and this summer's "MOS". Again...I'm not knocking it...it's just getting awful similar looking out there in fantasy land, no matter how well rendered...

Funny you say that. Even though it's literally been decades since I've seen it I actually had "Ice Pirates" flashbacks a couple times watching Thor due to the look and tone of certain sequences.

Back