Thor PF

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes you all think this Thor will be flippable? Is there an ES already listed for it or something? Last couple of MArvel items have been bombs as far as flipping is concerned. Those days are dead, dinosaurs. :monkey3

exactly. not to mention that these are supposed to be mixed medium. everytime they sculpt something that coulda worked in cloth, pleather, metal, ect, they stretch that term. as much as i love the Hulk PF, i wish there'd been more diversity. pieces of torn shirt. hair. something. sometimes i think they should sculpt it all and call it a statue.
i don't think many SW fans woulda been happy w/ a sculpted Vader cape.

To be sure, a cloth cape might have worked. Nevertheless although a cloth cape flows into a design such as that of Vader, where the fabric is draped to approximate a realistic depiction of the character, Thor's cape as drawn in the comics is much more stylized than what could be done in cloth. Therefore I think the sculpted route was the proper approach to take to get the flow and dynamic of Thor's cape.

Cloth might have posed more of a problem in terms of achieving the hold and vibrancy of his cape. It just doesn't drape his body as Vader's cape does. Wires might have done the trick along the hem but would have fell short around Thor's collar area. If one is aware of how Thor's cape holds up above his shoulders in the comics -- from Kirby and Buscema to Simonson and Byrne -- one would realize that It would take a lotta starch to keep his cape up around that area of his body.

Last edited:
To be sure, a cloth cape might have worked. Nevertheless although a cloth cape flows into a design such as that of Vader, where the fabric is draped to approximate a realistic depiction of the character, Thor's cape as drawn in the comics is much more stylized than what could be done in cloth. Therefore I think the sculpted route was the proper approach to take to get the flow and dynamic of Thor's cape.

Cloth might have posed more of a problem in terms of achieving the hold and vibrancy of his cape. It just doesn't drape his body as Vader's cape does. Wires might have done the trick along the hem but would have fell short around Thor's collar area. If one is aware of how Thor's cape holds up above his shoulders in the comics -- from Kirby and Buscema to Simonson and Byrne -- one would realize that It would take a lotta starch to keep his cape up around that area of his body.

Yeah you may be right.

What makes you all think this Thor will be flippable? Is there an ES already listed for it or something? Last couple of MArvel items have been bombs as far as flipping is concerned. Those days are dead, dinosaurs. :monkey3

Agreed for the most part.

Thor seemed to have a huge positive response and sold out quickly. I orderered... I'll decide to keep it or not later. I'm looking more forward to the Red Skull PF over this piece. Seems like there are a few people getting this Thor piece for the sole purpose of turning a profit.

Trust me guys, it's not worth it. I started out the hobby with that exact purpose in mind, except for the few pieces I really enjoyed. I'm just now getting to the point of having pieces that I truly enjoy after having gotten rid of the majority of pieces that don't interest me and have yet to go up in value. Do you know how long that took and how much effort to clear the space of unwanted pieces? It's so easy to hit a mouse button and buy a piece, but when you have to turn it over, there's a huge amount of effort involved if you want it to sell for a decent amount, not all items will sell, you have to work to make sure the product makes it there safely, you don't get scammed, and these pieces are large enough that after maybe 5-6 pieces, you're out of room.

I preordered Thor because I don't want to decide at a later date that I should have gotten him. But if it comes time to pay the CC bill prior to ship, if I'm not interested, I will cancel, rather than keep and then try to turn for a profit. The size on this piece is still a concern for me...

i love the sculpt of this Thor but there are too many Thor statues out there with him holding his Mjolnir with one hand. I would like the pist to have been like this, with 2 hands.

Thor_vol2-514-012-3233.jpg

Agreed for the most part.

Thor seemed to have a huge positive response and sold out quickly. I orderered... I'll decide to keep it or not later. I'm looking more forward to the Red Skull PF over this piece. Seems like there are a few people getting this Thor piece for the sole purpose of turning a profit.

Trust me guys, it's not worth it. I started out the hobby with that exact purpose in mind, except for the few pieces I really enjoyed. I'm just now getting to the point of having pieces that I truly enjoy after having gotten rid of the majority of pieces that don't interest me and have yet to go up in value. Do you know how long that took and how much effort to clear the space of unwanted pieces? It's so easy to hit a mouse button and buy a piece, but when you have to turn it over, there's a huge amount of effort involved if you want it to sell for a decent amount, not all items will sell, you have to work to make sure the product makes it there safely, you don't get scammed, and these pieces are large enough that after maybe 5-6 pieces, you're out of room.

I preordered Thor because I don't want to decide at a later date that I should have gotten him. But if it comes time to pay the CC bill prior to ship, if I'm not interested, I will cancel, rather than keep and then try to turn for a profit. The size on this piece is still a concern for me...
Exactly. I have learned this valuable lesson as well. Most of the time flipping is not even worth the hassle. After everything is said and done it's rarely that profitable for the amount of effort one puts in. :lecture

I like that pic TOE, don't like Romita Jr that much but the pose is dynamic.... unfortunately it won't happen. In order for it to occur two new arms would need to be sculpted hammer included and repositioned above the head and the head would have to be brought forward so the face isn't hidden completely from the sides amongst all of that it'd need to be aimed downwards as well. Which means the torso would have to be redone, in actuality it'd be a whole different piece.

That being said. I like it.

Just give ol' Thor the faux Leather upper torso coverings and cut the top back a bit to show off more of the muscular sides. I guarantee you it'd dramatically change the piece.

Exactly. I have learned this valuable lesson as well. Most of the time flipping is not even worth the hassle. After everything is said and done it's rarely that profitable for the amount of effort one puts in. :lecture

I would like to hear from Master Fipper BANNISTER on this.

btw - I heard a commercial on the radio about ordering a "How to" video on House Flipping....and yes, they used the word "Flipping" :monkey1

That’s just stupid on the part of the people bidding, I’m sure they know about the waitlist if there a Sideshow fan/customer, why on earth would they bid on an auction for an item not even released and pay up front to someone who could disappear in a couple of months time for an item they would most likely score by going on the waitlist, in-patience is a terrible thing.

I would like to hear from Master Fipper BANNISTER on this.

btw - I heard a commercial on the radio about ordering a "How to" video on House Flipping....and yes, they used the word "Flipping" :monkey1

you think the word is only used for statues...?

So, I'm trying to understand how the seller already paid for the item in full, when Sideshow's policy doesn't even require that. Unless . . . this was a seller who bought from a vendor that required the payment in full up front. Here's what he typed up on his Q&A for his auction.

Q: Hello if I won this item and as is a presale item could I pay a deposit and balance when you receive item.Also shipping to UK how much. Regards. Mar-24-08
A: Sorry. I have paid for item in full and must receive payment as such. Shipping to U.K. would be $59.00. But full payment must be made or item will go back up for bid.

So, I'm trying to understand how the seller already paid for the item in full, when Sideshow's policy doesn't even require that. Unless . . . this was a seller who bought from a vendor that required the payment in full up front. Here's what he typed up on his Q&A for his auction.

Q: Hello if I won this item and as is a presale item could I pay a deposit and balance when you receive item.Also shipping to UK how much. Regards. Mar-24-08
A: Sorry. I have paid for item in full and must receive payment as such. Shipping to U.K. would be $59.00. But full payment must be made or item will go back up for bid.

I presume that this is just a bald faced lie, and a very sly one at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back