Thinking about quitting this hobby.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
9MxM8.gif

@pickleweed :exactly:

my girlfriend doesnt want to get fat. but she doesnt want to exercise. and she doesnt want to stop eating cookies. ... she says she doesnt want to be fat (and lord knows, i dont want her to be fat either :lol ), but if she's unwilling to change anything, then its just empty complaining. dont complain to me about things your unwilling to attempt to change.

Exactly right! Now, try this: Look at your girlfriend and say to her, "You're too fat! You're lazy and you have no self control! I don't want a fat, lazy girlfriend who's weak! Stop eating cookies and exercise!" Try it. That would be constructive to both her weight problem and your relationship. Really, it would.... :yess:

Last edited:
Its not nearly that easy. I agree with both pixletwin and NCC-1701 in fact. Right smack in the middle.

As a person who has compulsive and addictive tendancies (I have bad genes, bad environment and my own self to thank), I know how hard it is to break an addiction and also that they aren't impossible either.

To some people addiction isn't serious. I would congratulate them on never being there.

I don't think addiction is the problem ... at least not with people who buy toys they can't afford. Lack of self-control is the problem. Chemical addiction is truly "I can't stop". Lack of discipline is "I won't stop".

In the latter case, "addiction" is just an excuse ... its easier to say "I can't stop" and write-it-off as addiction than to recognize that the problem isn't "can't", its "won't". When the merely undisciplined recognize that the problem isn't addiction, they may be able to fix it.

It ain't "addiction" ... its just you.

SnakeDoc

I'm happy to say I broke an addiction. I'm sad to say it took getting caught red handed, embarresed to pieces, fired and nearly being personally destroyed to do it.

It was something that I hated about myself, wanted to stop, didn't really understand why I was doing it, was getting very little satisfaction from doing it, yet for some crazy reason I kept doing it. Something that made me do that I can't just chalk up to no self control. If that was true I'd have no self control on anything else, yet I do have a lot of control. Its just in select things that addictions take form in.

Only the OP knows whether it really is an addiction or not. I think its too easy to dismiss it though from other points of view.

Now this isn't to say "are we making excuses". Not at all!!!!!!!

Addictions must be stopped. But the key to stopping an addiction is to admit that you may not be able to do it on your own. You need help. Sometimes that help comes from being caught, sometimes it comes from asking for forgiveness and admitting the problem. Take door number 2!

I don't think addiction is the problem ... at least not with people who buy toys they can't afford. Lack of self-control is the problem. Chemical addiction is "I can't stop". Lack of discipline is "I won't stop". In the latter case, "addiction" is just an excuse.

SnakeDoc

:hi5::exactly:

Prog, I don't know how you can agree with NC29873298742 because he hasn't actually stated his position on anything. :lol

I read his position as "quitting is hard and can't just be done with a flip of a switch", which I wholeheartedly agree with. Again, thats not to say that someone shouldn't TRY to quit.

You have to try to quit but you also need help.

Also, the first step to quitting is not telling yourself "this will be a piece of cake" just because it might be for someone who doesn't perceive it as an addiction.

"Be a man and control yourself" isn't a solution for real addicts.

I don't think addiction is the problem ... at least not with people who buy toys they can't afford. Lack of self-control is the problem. Chemical addiction is "I can't stop". Lack of discipline is "I won't stop". In the latter case, "addiction" is just an excuse.

SnakeDoc

Addiction is defined as: a strong and harmful need to regularly have something (such as a drug) or do something (such as gamble).

There is physical (chemical) addiction and there is psychological addiction.

Habitual overspending, especially on a particular type of item, to the point of considerable financial detriment is serious, much like gambling. (Yes, habitual gambling is not only a self-control problem but an addiction!) And when one cannot stop doing it, or has extreme difficulty stopping, then it is definitely categorized as an addiction—a psychological addiction. One can self-deny this all day long, and it won't change reality.

Exactly right! Now, try this: Look at your girlfriend and say to her, "You're too fat! You're lazy and you have no self control! I don't want a fat, lazy girlfriend who's weak! Stop eating cookies and exercise!" Try it. That would be constructive to both her weight problem and your relationship. Really, it would.... :yess:

first, she's not fat. so there's that. but i have told her that if she expects to remain unfat, something needs to change.

her options are as follows -

1. exercise and continue eating cookies.
2. dont exercise and stop eating cookies
3. dont exercise and continue eating cookes and stop complaining

she's not getting any younger, and things have to change if she's serious about maintaining her physique. and ive said as much. i dont think there's anything offensive about that. wishing for things to change without changing things is insanity. i want to save more money, but i dont want to stop buying things too. it aint gonna happen. so i can choose one and live with the consequences. not continue blowing money and then complaining about my savings account. thats like saying i want it black AND white!

it reminds me of a saying we have in my business. You can have it cheap fast or good, but you can only have 2. expecting all 3 and complaining about the one your missing isnt an option.

it reminds me of a saying we have in my business. You can have it cheap fast or good, but you can only have 2. expecting all 3 and complaining about the one your missing isnt an option.

Are you a male prostitute? :monkey1 :lol

Addiction is defined as: a strong and harmful need to regularly have something (such as a drug) or do something (such as gamble).

Habitual overspending, especially on a particular type of item, to the point of considerable financial detriment is serious, much like gambling. Yes, habitual gambling is not only a self-control problem but an addiction! And when one cannot stop doing it, or has extreme difficulty stopping, then it is definitely categorized as an addiction—a psychological addiction. One can self-deny this all day long, and it won't change reality.

Just an excuse for not stopping. People who look for excuses why they can't stop don't really want to stop. The problem isn't one of addiction, it is one of will. Actual addiction overrides will. This doesn't ... actions and will are perfectly aligned.

One can deny this all day long, and it won't change reality.

SnakeDoc

Habitual overspending, especially on a particular type of item, to the point of considerable financial detriment is serious, much like gambling. (Yes, habitual gambling is not only a self-control problem but an addiction!) And when one cannot stop doing it, or has extreme difficulty stopping, then it is definitely categorized as an addiction—a psychological addiction. One can self-deny this all day long, and it won't change reality.

what are the limitations to that though? or are there any? 99% of america is addicted to buying things they cant afford if you want to be real with it.

technically anything you dont want to stop doing is an addiction then by your definition. i must be addicted to chipotle burritos and sleeping.

Just an excuse for not stopping. People who look for excuses why they can't stop don't really want to stop. The problem isn't one of addiction, it is one of will. Actual addiction overrides will. This doesn't ... actions and will are perfectly aligned.

SnakeDoc

Let's get something clear. Call it what you want, but in psychological terms, there is little difference between psychological addiction and not wanting to stop doing something that you know is harmful in some way. So, in a sense you're right, people who are addicted to collecting plastic toys DO NOT WANT TO STOP. The problem IS one of addiction. Sometimes the lines are blurred, but, for many people here quitting plastic toys is darn near impossible! THIS IS an addiction, Doc!

what are the limitations to that though? or are there any? 99% of america is addicted to buying things they cant afford if you want to be real with it.

technically anything you dont want to stop doing is an addiction then by your definition. i must be addicted to chipotle burritos and sleeping.

There's a pretty clear line IF you've experienced it.

I've found myself buying less and less 1/6 figures (and toys in general) over the last few months. Not necessarily because I'm loosing interest in the hobby, it's more because I'm trying to prioritize my life and money better and as much as I hate to, that means drastically cutting back on collectibles in general.

There's a pretty clear line IF you've experienced it.

ive quit cigarettes so i know all about it. what i dont understand would be me posting a thread about my quitting cigarettes and expecting some ground breaking solution in it. people are going to tell me to stop putting cigs in my mouth and good luck. and for the most part, they'd be right. thats the only solution.

Let's get something clear. Call it what you want, but in psychological terms, there is little difference between psychological addiction and not wanting to stop doing something. So, in a sense you're right, people who are addicted to collecting plastic toys DO NOT WANT TO STOP. The problem IS one of addiction. Sometimes the lines are blurred, but, for many people here quitting plastic toys is darn near impossible! THIS IS an addiction!

It isn't an addiction if they don't want to stop. That's just run-of-the-mill lack of discipline. It isn't a result of addiction. It is a result of being a child. No different than my 4-year-old son that fusses when we tell him "no". If "no" makes you fussy, then immaturity is the problem.

The cure isn't breaking an addiction ... the cure is growing up.

SnakeDoc

I agree with you to some point but I wouldn't say that to a girlfriend. You'll get a slap in da face and maybe a kick to da nuts! Try positive reenforcement. Its the same trick they use on dogs and maybe cats but it still have a good chance against a weak minded person? :wink1:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back