There is still some heart left in the world

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to give him real confidence then give him a waterboy/towelboy position on the team but let him do the full practice with the players.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this seems like true "second class citizen" treatment. I am not sure you are entirely cognizant honestly, reading some of your posts on this subject. :lol

From Dictionary.com:
second-class citizen 
Use second class citizen in a Sentence
See web results for second class citizen
See images of second class citizen
–noun 1. a citizen, esp. a member of a minority group, who is denied the social, political, and economic benefits of citizenship.
2. a person who is not accorded a fair share of respect, recognition, or consideration: The boss treats us all like second-class citizens.

That second definition sounds pretty darn close to my meaning.

Man, I'm fired up today on this subject. WTH?
You are also quite wrong. That definition doesn't match yours at all. The boy was treated with exceptional respect by both the players and coaches, and I applaud them for it. He was not denied anything.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this seems like true "second class citizen" treatment. I am not sure you are entirely cognizant honestly, reading some of your posts on this subject. :lol

Well, everything I know about Highschool football I learned from King of the Hill. :lol

I was thinking in most cities in the US they have positions like towelboy and such to give players that juuuuust didn't make the team a position. That's what I meant. Essentially he would still be part of the team but he would never be suited up in the pads and jersey.

You are also quite wrong. That definition doesn't match yours at all. The boy was treated with exceptional respect by both the players and coaches, and I applaud them for it. He was not denied anything.

And now I see how this is a glass half-full/half-empty discussion.

You see the respect of letting him "play" while I see the disrespect of having him dress up like a monkey and dancing for the people.

And now I see how this is a glass half-full/half-empty discussion.

You see the respect of letting him "play" while I see the disrespect of having him dress up like a monkey and dancing for the people.

...I think you must be a pretty pathetic and gloomy person to see something bad in it.

No comment.... :lol

This kid doesn't need "real world knowledge" in the way that fully functioning people do, because he can't do anything with it but become frustrated. How, exactly, is it going to build confidence when the kid just keeps realizing that he can't do anything very well. He probably knows that anyway, and the best he can hope for is to ignore it and enjoy moments like the one in the video.

If you can't play football, then you find something else that you can do. That is part of adapting to life. But kids with Down's syndrome can only do very menial types of things. They can't be treated like typical members of society, who succeed or fail based upon their abilities. Most of these kids will have to be protected and sheltered from the "real world" for their entire life, because they just do not possess the mental or physical capacity to survive out on their own.

Why am I even wasting my time typing something that should be so obvious to any reasonable person. . . :confused: Seriously, if you think kids with serious disabilities should have to go out and compete to succeed like everyone else, then you either don't understand these disabilities very well, or have some very unsettling views regarding the nature of the world, IMO.

I was thinking in most cities in the US they have positions like towelboy and such to give players that juuuuust didn't make the team a position. That's what I meant. Essentially he would still be part of the team but he would never be suited up in the pads and jersey.

You can't really be that clueless, can you? The towel boy is the one of the most disrespected people on the planet, and a perfect example of a second class citizen.

I see what you're saying Shropt but I wouldn't read into it that much, the kid isn't gonna pursue a pro football career because of this, it just probably made his day and gave him a good memory. Good story to read with all the crappy ones of Strangers slapping kids and teens beating unknown animals with sticks and all that crap.

It was a very kind thing for the coaches and players to do for the boy and his family. Unfortunately, he'll probably always have to be cared for due his condition and he'll miss out on a lot of things in his life, but it's great that the teams let him be a hero that day.

Hearing stories like this sure beats reading about twelve year olds beating and stabbing a mentally handicapped boy to death or seeing kids throw batteries at a handicapped kid while he runs down the hallway, which I actually observed during my high school years.

I see everyone's points. My problem is that everyone just believes that someone with down syndrome can't do what they want. I say let them try. The reason why we are who we are today is because of making mistakes.

I see what you're saying Shropt but I wouldn't read into it that much, the kid isn't gonna pursue pro football career because of this, it just probably made his day and gave him a good memory. Good story to read with all the crappy ones of Strangers slapping kids and teens beating unknown animals with sticks and all that crap.

This is my point. This kid may very well believe that he can now play professional ball. That is not helping him in any way and will only lead to future disappointment.

You can't really be that clueless, can you? The towel boy is the one of the most disrespected people on the planet, and a perfect example of a second class citizen.

When addressing this freak, it is highly recommended that you avoid using any words with more than one syllable. :p

No comment...

You should've left it at that. What you're failing to comprehend is that it's a selfless gift of a special moment for a special needs kid and will most likely be a moment he cherishes forever. They could've just gone on with their lives, but they decided to take time out of their own lives to give him a special memory he'll never forget. Something positive to file away with all the other negative memories of people bullying him, calling him a "retard," people like you who would rob him of any ounce of normalcy in a life that will be more difficult than yours could ever be.

Something positive to file away with all the other negative memories of people bullying him, calling him a "retard," people like you who would rob him of any ounce of normalcy in a life that will be more difficult than yours could ever be.

That is the exact OPPOSITE of what I'm trying to say. :banghead:banghead:banghead

Ok, I'm done. I've said what I need to say.

That is the exact OPPOSITE of what I'm trying to say. :banghead:banghead:banghead

Ok, I'm done. I've said what I need to say.

Bub, just because he's mentally challenged, does not mean he's stupid. You're not giving him any credit. Perhaps it'd do you some good to donate your time to a special needs cause, help chaperon then to an event or something. It might help to educate your ignorance here.

Yea he might but he might not, that's what I mean by looking into this too much you and I are making assumptions on a kid we don't even know, I think we should just take this surface deep and not look at this in a bad way. There are enough blatantly negative stories that when a blatantly positive one comes along we shouldn't look for negatives.
This is my point. This kid may very well believe that he can now play professional ball. That is not helping him in any way and will only lead to future disappointment.

Welcome to SSF's beat up Shropt day. :lol

Exactly. I usually try to stay away from long discussions on here. :lol

Bub, just because he's mentally challenged, does not mean he's stupid. You're not giving him any credit. Perhaps it'd do you some good to donate your time to a special needs cause, help chaperon then to an event or something. It might help to educate your ignorance here.

Again, we are both on the same side. I'm arguing on the side of treating the kid like every other kid. Read my posts again.

Now I'm really out. This is what I get for checking the thread again. :banghead

Exactly. I usually try to stay away from long discussions on here. :lol

Again, we are both on the same side. I'm arguing on the side of treating the kid like every other kid. Read my posts again.

Now I'm really out. This is what I get for checking the thread again. :banghead

But that's what they did, and for some reason, your brain's not processing that. You're basically saying he's such an "idiot" that he doesn't know what they did and will want to become a pro based on that. You're wrong, and it's completely ignorant to even suggesting something like that.

They gave him the opportunity to know what it feels like to be a normal kid, to score a touchdown, something every other kid could do but likely he would never, otherwise, be given the chance to do. And you want to take that away from him? :dunno

I can identify with this kid.
I got a VIP backstage tour at Ozzfest one time and was fortunate enough to hold one of Randy Rhoads' guitars that was sitting in Zakk Wylde's guitar rack.
No way in hell could I ever play like either of them, but they gave me a moment to feel "special" anyway.

...... til that roadie snatched it away from me and gave me a wedgie til I cried and told me I was talentless and would never amount to anything... :monkey2

Back