There is still some heart left in the world

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
christian the lion is all the hope I need :love

but that was pretty cool I guess.... or just a crap way of insuring they scored during the game :lol

I'm happy for the kid, but you know that other team wouldn't have felt so generous had they not been shutting out the other team by 46 points.

As with all things in life, it's easy to do a nice thing when it doesn't cost anything.

bah...i think that was more of a pity party IMO
...but then again..i am a heartless b1tch!

I think that there is a world of difference between a pity party and a gesture intended to build confidence. One works more toward pampering a person and one helps to build confidence. And it really is all in the attitude of the people doing it. So I can see where it is unclear which this one was without having been there. But football players (even at the high school level) are taught to be competitive and to work toward gaining confidence, not to be pitiful. So my money is on the intention being in the right direction.

And as long as his parents/teachers/"friends" protect him from the real world he will never know.

Not sure he would have the cognizant powers to understand anyway. I think it was a nice gesture which I am sure made the boy and his parents happy. I don't think it needs to be analyzed any deeper than that. Anything more and I think you must be a pretty pathetic and gloomy person to see something bad in it.

Not sure he would have the cognizant powers to understand anyway. I think it was a nice gesture which I am sure made the boy and his parents happy. I don't think it needs to be analyzed any deeper than that. Anything more and I think you must be a pretty pathetic and gloomy person to see something bad in it.

:lecture:lecture...

Honestly I just hate to see people with these kinds of conditions treated as second class citizens. I would much rather have seen them let him PLAY instead of just dress up like a player and run with the ball.

If that makes me a pathetic/gloomy person then I guess I am.

Honestly I just hate to see people with these kinds of conditions treated as second class citizens. I would much rather have seen them let him PLAY instead of just dress up like a player and run with the ball.

I think its the only proper way to care for people with special needs. They can't comprehend the same things we do so in return require different treatment.

I always smile when I see them having fun.

Yeah see the below.

I don't think a kid with Down's syndrome should be playing serious, contact football. . .

Sadly a child in his condition is in no position mentally or physically to play serious contact football. You are just back tracking because you sort of realised what a dumb comment that was you made. He prolly LOVES football and is happy just to get dressed in the uniform, like a kid playing superman.

Sadly a child in his condition is in no position mentally or physically to play serious contact football. You are just back tracking because you sort of realised what a dumb comment that was you made. He prolly LOVES football and is happy just to get dressed in the uniform, like a kid playing superman.

I'm not backtracking. See my 2nd post about giving kids like these false confidence. Why give a kid false confidence when you can give them REAL confidence?

If the kid can't play real contact football then why is he on the team? Don't give someone a position that they can't handle. If you want to give him real confidence then give him a waterboy/towelboy position on the team but let him do the full practice with the players. Let him scrimmage with the players from time to time. You are still building confidence while at the same time giving the kid the REALWORLD knowledge that he may not be good enough to play on the team.

Hell, I was never good enough at sports when I was in highschool. Did someone pump me full of false hope so that I may have planned to play sports in college? Hell no. They let me know I couldn't play so I could focus on things I was good at.

I don't think you quite understand the meaning of the phrase "second class citizen". What those players and coaches did was anything but "second class" treatment.

From Dictionary.com:
second-class citizen 
Use second class citizen in a Sentence
See web results for second class citizen
See images of second class citizen
–noun 1. a citizen, esp. a member of a minority group, who is denied the social, political, and economic benefits of citizenship.
2. a person who is not accorded a fair share of respect, recognition, or consideration: The boss treats us all like second-class citizens.

That second definition sounds pretty darn close to my meaning.

Man, I'm fired up today on this subject. WTH?

Back