The WWE Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, WWE did it again.

Despite Joe´s debut, they lost me again.

Same old stale bs.

New day are reduced to short "fun" skits.
Sheamus & Cesaro only do **** again.
Strowman jobs (doesn´t matter that it´s Reigns)
Owens & Jericho are no more.
Goldberg is...lame.

I´m just sad, cause there was a time, not too long ago that I liked WWE again.

:(

So our world title match at WrestleMania will feature a guy who wrestles once every 3 month vs a guy who can't wrestle for more than 2 minutes. That is going to be something to see how they pull this off.

The only thing that really turned me off was strowman jobbing. That was complete BS and enough to get me to stop watching fastlane and raw in general. Everything else like goldberg winning the universal belt is just to put casual fans' butts in seats at wrestlemania, which i dont have too big an issue with. Just how the business works.

I just want to watch smackdown.

I just want to watch smackdown.

This is probably the smart move. The way I'm figuring it, Lesnar will win the belt at Mania. This will be followed by months of having an absentee champion. Then at SummerSlam Roman Reigns will take the title because this time the crowd will love it and totally be on his side.:rolleyes2

While I think AJ/Shane is waste of Styles for Mania, WWE probably thinks of it as a true showcase for him. A few clever spots and crazy bumps and it could be the match most casual fans remember fondly, given the train wreck potential of Taker/Reigns and Lesnar/Goldberg.

So our world title match at WrestleMania will feature a guy who wrestles once every 3 month vs a guy who can't wrestle for more than 2 minutes. That is going to be something to see how they pull this off.

The shame is, even though he was never the safest or best worker, Goldberg's monster face routine worked at the time as an alternate storyline to Sting vs NWO, and he at least had a couple of more moves than most of the juiced up looking faces like Warrior and Hogan during the 80s and 90s.. (maybe I'm just looking at history through rose tinted glasses from being a drunken 20 something year old during a lot of the RAW and Nitro shows in the TV wars era)

Two matches? now (I don't watch, I just use the likes of this thread for my news), and he's done nothing more than spear and jackhammer his way to a title. How is anyone supposed to get behind that?

I'm good with Goldberg being the champ. I don't like any of the other wrestlers on RAW outside of Brock. I'm thinking Kurt Angle will be a special ref at Wrestlemania.

he at least had a couple of more moves than most of the juiced up looking faces like Warrior and Hogan during the 80s and 90s.. (maybe I'm just looking at history through rose tinted glasses from being a drunken 20 something year old during a lot of the RAW and Nitro shows in the TV wars era)
I believe the rose tinted glasses may, in fact, still be on my friend :lol

Honestly, Scott Norton would put Goldberg to utter shame in terms of putting together a match where actual moves were employed. Same with Vader. I would put Goldberg into the same category as Warrior personally, with more or less the same number of moves. Guy succeeded purely on hype. Which is precisely the reason he is getting over the way he is doing 2 moves or whatever. That's all he's ever really done, beyond punching or clotheslining a guy, and a periodic reckless and dangerous kick to the head.

As long as the Smackdown brand exists, I haven't given up on the WWE. I don't know what is going on with the Raw brand, it's completely lost in the booking and storylines. :horror

They don't even use the great NXT talent right

I really think Injuries are doing the Raw Brand in. Creative probably thought Balor and Rollins could carry the new Raw brand up to WM but it looks like they are so desperate, they feel they have to give part timers like Goldberg and Lesnar a title before they disappear just to entice the WM card for the Raw brand :slap

And who's idea was to have Taker and Reigns :pfft:

Thought for sure they would've had Taker vs Cena at WM in case Taker retires after

Who wants to see Taker's last match possibly be Reigns :gah:

And who's idea was to have Taker and Reigns :pfft:

. . .

Who wants to see Taker's last match possibly be Reigns :gah:
EZMti8H.jpg

and probably Triple H. Taker should face Cena in his last match IMO.

Honestly, Scott Norton would put Goldberg to utter shame in terms of putting together a match where actual moves were employed. Same with Vader. I would put Goldberg into the same category as Warrior personally, with more or less the same number of moves. Guy succeeded purely on hype. Which is precisely the reason he is getting over the way he is doing 2 moves or whatever. That's all he's ever really done, beyond punching or clotheslining a guy, and a periodic reckless and dangerous kick to the head.

Hey, he had an occasional routine where he would ground take down a guy... That's at least one more move than Warrior. :lol ... He was never very safe or able to sell any form of match outside a steam-roll, that's for sure however, and once the "streak" ended, there was really nothing they could do with him. It seems bizarre that his age and current physique they can try and convince the audience that he is still that unstoppable force. No wonder they are limiting him to spear and jackhammer. They'd be stupid to do just the same two moves in Wrestlemania... surely, surely.. Maybe a few Brock suplexes and a test of strength first, lol

Mind you, red and yellow WWF champ could never work anything other than start strong and play to the crowd, get beaten up, before Hulking up and finishing a match the one and only way Hogan could (with in the injection of showing how "strong" he was if the guy was allegedly over 100lb heavier than him and he slammed him), so if it works, the creative will stick to it I guess. And I hate to say it now, but as a young teen in that era of Hogan/Savage/Andre, he was the highlight for me when all we got on TV was the show at the time where the Rockers or Tito Santana would squash jobbers, and the only thing you got to see of Hulk and Andre was a highlights reel from the main show, and renting Summerslam 88 or one of the other big 4 on VHS. Sadly, too young and uninformed to appreciate matches like Savage/Steamboat.

Scott Norton in NJPW was where it was at. It's really sad WCW never utilized him more.

I see the parallels between Goldberg and Warrior. Outside of his Halloween Havoc match with DDP, I have a hard time remembering a really great match he had. Warrior at least has the Hogan WM VI, and his high profile Savage and Rude matches that stand out for me.

Wrestlemania 7 hours again? Lots of boring matches for sure.

I just hope Enzo and Pass finally get the tag titles. Sadly, they will probably lose them quickly to the Hardy's (who i assume will make their return soon).

This is in regards of Goldberg, and it might just be a very unpopular post, and that's totally ok.

I'm a guy that started watching wrestling in the 90's and when Goldberg came into the picture, it was something else. He had the look to make anyone believe he could destroy anyone in 20 seconds. It was something really special, that singlehandedly beat RAW's ratings for months. Now, was he the best? Hell no, he wasn't even a wrestler!

But he sold his persona like nobody's business.

He's made me buy a WWE network sub.

He's made me buy WWE T-shirts.

He's made me look into freaking WWE news.

He's made me go online and see if there's new Goldberg toys coming out. Yes, toys.

He's made me buy the latest WWE Game.

He's made me watch RAW again.

I'm willing to assume that many, non-hardcore wrestling fans of the 90's are on the same scenario, and that is just a genius move by WWE. It's made a lot of people care about the product, ratings are up!

Now for the two move and that's it thing: he's freaking 50-51. He can't (maybe?) gorila press and do push ups with an opponent like he did back in the day, but he still looks BETTER than most of the roster! What WWE is doing, is simply using that hype that he had back then, the whole coming out to the ring while walking for a while with everyone looking, the intensity, everything. They are just paving the way for his retirement, and they are doing it with respect.

That last run he had was disastrous, and they are making it up to him. They did nothing but destroy his legacy (or whatever you want to call it) and they are making things right.

And another thing, when you have TWO part timers competing for the brand's title, it's time to understand that the roster, as it is now, sucks. You might not like Lesnar. You might not like Goldberg. But they sell.

Also, **** Roman.

The last 5 Mania main events have showcased "part-timers". I get why they do it, but it must feel like a real kick in the pants for a guy like Kevin Owens to carry things for 6 months only to be cut down right before the biggest show of the year. This was one of CM Punk's biggest gripes when he walked out a few years back and he wasn't wrong.

99% of the guys can't get over. They may be able to wrestle but no one gives a damn if you have no connection. The only thing that can change it given the bulk of the roster is a more adult themed show. I doubt it'll be done but an edgy show is surly missed. The best WWE talent on the mic is Charlotte. She works circles around the guys.

I think you guys make great points. As much as I love watching a 45 minute indie-style technical match, that's not what the masses generally want. Even when you have a guy that can do that day in and out like Daniel Bryan or Eddie Guerrero, the audience only really gets behind them when they have a personality/gimmick that resonates strongly with fans. But on the other hand, having skills to back up the personality, and put together a good in-ring showcase, is what you need to succeed long term in this day and age. Hulk Hogan would be exposed as the emperor with no clothes pretty quickly (like Roman Reigns has). So, I'm hopeful that Owens, Rollins, Styles, and others who can do both of those things will be able to make a real place for themselves moving forward.

Fran is right about Goldberg. The fans are back into it because this is something they are nostalgic about, it's something WWE hasn't done too well in recent years (unstoppable monster face), and it's true that there is some excitement when you see a guy doing stuff like this that no one hardly does anymore, with the exception of Lesnar periodically. This was what really made Vader the headliner that he was, when he would just decimate guys left and right, and the only guys who even had a chance were the main eventers like Sting or Flair. But. . .with Goldberg it's a gimmick, and it has a short life span. Fans will lose interest pretty quickly with something like that, and I think WWE knows it. So, enjoy it while it lasts. Hopefully he can put together a good 15 minutes with Lesnar at WM, though. . .I'm skeptical. Of course, you could always get the audience to pop by having Stone Cold roll out and do what he did last time :lol

https://www.wwe.com/videos/stone-co...r-and-goldberg-with-a-stunner-wrestlemania-xx

The last 5 Mania main events have showcased "part-timers". I get why they do it, but it must feel like a real kick in the pants for a guy like Kevin Owens to carry things for 6 months only to be cut down right before the biggest show of the year. This was one of CM Punk's biggest gripes when he walked out a few years back and he wasn't wrong.

The Punk parallel was pretty glaring here to me. But that's just the way it goes. Frankly, I think Owens, and Punk before him, should be really happy with what they get. And this is from a guy who will take those guys 10 times out of 10 over a mediocre has-been like Goldberg or old man Rock. But they'll live on to fight another day, and they get the lion's share of attention for the better part of the year while the "real" main eventers take that time off. The way Punk responded, you would think he was treated the way Dolph Ziggler or Cesaro has been.

Back