The WWE Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the same thing as I was watching a few of the '93 RAWs...Those shows are flat out terrible :lol

There was no Smackdown then, so you got Raw--their primary show--and I think one Sunday morning show full of recaps and a couple of new mid-carder vs. jobber matches. Later on they added a few more shows, but I think that was it in 1993. And they didn't even have monthly PPVs. So, you had 4 or 5 PPVs a year on top of that. I'm really curious how they did from a profitability standpoint back in those days.

I imagine people like Randy Savage were really helping out with them bringing in big money from advertisement deals. In fact I think that was some of the hatred/heat that Vince had with Savage because Savage took his Slim Jim deal with him when he went to WCW and that was a huge blow to Vince.

I've been enjoyed watching Raw from the start. It's been a total nostalgia trip. I will agree that the matches haven't been great. A couple have been decent though with Steiner/IRS and Money Inc./Beverly Brothers. They just put up episode 15 which starts the HBK/Duggan mini-feud that culminated in a lumberjack match. Nice to be past the Bartlett episodes.:lol

What I've really liked is the WCCW TV. I just wish they would have them in order. The last episode I watched teased the next episode which should have the Flair/Kerry Von Erich match that ends with the Freebirds becoming the biggest villains in Texas. I can't wait for that one.

What I've really liked is the WCCW TV. I just wish they would have them in order. The last episode I watched teased the next episode which should have the Flair/Kerry Von Erich match that ends with the Freebirds becoming the biggest villains in Texas. I can't wait for that one.
Then that must not be the outdoor NWA championship match. I've never seen another one between those two, so I would like to see it. WCCW is very cool to watch, not so much for the wrestling quality itself (which is uneven), but for the great crowd response they got there. I would love to step into a time machine and visit the Sportatorium in the early '80s.

They should also bring back some of those TV intros that were on the old WWE On Demand network. The ones before WCCW had Michael P.S. Hayes and Kevin Von Erich talking about the show. Raw and Nitro had Michael Cole, so they could be skipped, and the ECW ones had Joey Styles.

I might jump on the WWE Network to go back and watch alot of the stuff from the Attitude Era. that was when I was really into wrestling. Have they added a bunch of content now that I think the free trial is done?

Not really that I've noticed, though I read they were supposed to, right away. There were a smattering of new shows and specials I think (older ones, like a couple more of the Legends of Wrestling episodes). But not many more Raws or Smackdowns, no WCW shows, etc.

I caught the end of the Undertaker/Stephanie wedding last night. I guess I forgot how brutal chairshots can be. Austin was wailing pretty much any member of the Ministry that came by. Mideon took one pretty flush on the head. Definitely not going to see that these days.

I caught the end of the Undertaker/Stephanie wedding last night. I guess I forgot how brutal chairshots can be. Austin was wailing pretty much any member of the Ministry that came by. Mideon took one pretty flush on the head. Definitely not going to see that these days.
I just put this episode on. It's also the Rock's major face turn. Pretty major show. I remember in hindsight how surprising the UT/Stephanie angle turned out. That was when the writers/McMahon/wrestlers knew how to tell some damn good stories.

I hope they put the uncut version of the Clash of the Champions where the Shockmaster fell.
Yeah, too bad the Clashes aren't considered PPVs. Of course, they weren't technically, but they should be treated as equivalents IMO. So much great stuff still missing from the Network.

Read an article today that said there is currently only 1.5% of the WWE video library available on the network right now.

WWE's George Barrios noted at the 26th annual ROTH Conference in Dana Point, CA on Monday that the 1,500 hours of library footage that the WWE Network launched with is just 1.5% of WWE's 100,000 hours of library footage.

That doesn't surprise me too much. The main focus currently is on PPVs. Each PPV is roughly 3 hours, which is a single episode of Raw nowadays, and these weren't monthly until WWF started In Your Houses in the '90s. They've got various NWA libraries, WCW, WCCW, ECW, Raw, Smackdown, house shows, and more. I wonder if Vince will more actively pursue AWA, Calgary Stampede, USWA, and other libraries moving forward (assuming they haven't already acquired some of them). Would love to see some Japanese stuff, as well.

Just found this list for video libraries the WWE owns on the WWE Libraries Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWE_Libraries

For years WWE has engaged in a campaign of purchasing libraries of defunct wrestling promotions. The first significant purchases took place in 2001, when they bought the complete historical archives of their former competitor World Championship Wrestling.[4] The purchase of Extreme Championship Wrestling in 2003[5] gave the company the majority of all national professional wrestling content available at the time.

American Wrestling Association (1957-1991)[3]
Georgia Championship Wrestling (1944-1985)
Extreme Championship Wrestling (ECW)[5] (1994-2001) and its predecessor
Eastern Championship Wrestling (1992-1994)
Memphis Championship Wrestling (2000-2001) *
Ohio Valley Wrestling (1998-2008)*
Deep South Wrestling (2005-2007) *
Florida Championship Wrestling (2007-2012)*
NXT Wrestling (2012–Present) ****
Smoky Mountain Wrestling (1992-1995)[3]
Stampede Wrestling (1948-1989)[3]
Ultimate Pro Wrestling (1998-2007)
Global Wrestling Federation (1991-1994)
World Championship Wrestling (WCW)[4] (1988-2001)
Jim Crockett Promotions (1931-1988) which by the end included
Eastern States Championship Wrestling (1945-1973)
Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling (1973-1988)
Central States Wrestling (c. early 1950s-1986)
Championship Wrestling from Florida (1961-1987)***
Championship Wrestling from Georgia (1984-1985)
NWA Tri-State/Mid-South Wrestling/UWF (1950s-1987)***
World Class Championship Wrestling (1966-1988**)[6]
Maple Leaf Wrestling (1930-1995)

^* Former WWE developmental territory
^** Angelo and Mario Savoldi, the former owners of International World Class Championship Wrestling, own all post-1988 footage of WCCW and its successor promotions.[6]
^*** While the promotion was bought by JCP the video library was not part of the purchase. WWE bought the video library from the private owner.
^**** current WWE Developmental territory

Props to Daniel Bryan. It takes some stones to trust someone to not hurt you while your hands are cuffed behind your back. Even though a lot of that stuff is planned in advance he took some pretty big risk there.

Just found this list for video libraries the WWE owns on the WWE Libraries Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWE_Libraries
I saw lots of AWA stuff on ESPN and assumed it wasn't under WWE control. Surprised that isn't the case. There is some great stuff there they should show, a lot of it from guys who later became major stars in WWE--Hogan, Andre, Curt Hennig, the Rockers, Scott Hall, Heenan, Mean Gene, Road Warriors.

The real gem there is the Crockett stuff. We need some classic Mid-Atlantic and NWA/WCW stuff on that channel.

Props to Daniel Bryan. It takes some stones to trust someone to not hurt you while your hands are cuffed behind your back. Even though a lot of that stuff is planned in advance he took some pretty big risk there.
Triple H would be taking one of really two major faces in the company (and the only one totally over with the crowd) out of the picture if Bryan were injured. I'm sure he was in safe hands.

Back