The Will Smith slaps Chris Rock thread - plus Sam Jackson gets his Oscar

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
See I'd just assume that people who loved a particular movie would be interested to see that movie's filmmakers/cast in a major show that year (and want to see it get recognition alongside other movies you liked that year,) but it just shows everyone's different I guess.
Understandable and yup, everyone is different.
I have a ton of 1/6 Star Wars figs (and other scales) but my buddy, who's an equally (perhaps bigger) SW fan, has zero interest in SW figures of any kind and never has.
I have a friend who loves all the SW merch, especially figures, but doesn't like the movies :eek: , he'd rather read the books.

We went to see SW in 1977 together as kids and he went ape just like every other adolescent at the time. :lol

I don't get it personally don't understand his way of thinking but to each their own. I still think he's :cuckoo: :monkey3
I can certainly understand people who separate Hollywood itself from the movies/shows it produces - like those who want to keep nightmares and dreams separate. :lol
:lol

See I'd just assume that people who loved a particular movie would be interested to see that movie's filmmakers/cast in a major show that year (and want to see it get recognition alongside other movies you liked that year,) but it just shows everyone's different I guess.

I have a ton of 1/6 Star Wars figs (and other scales) but my buddy, who's an equally (perhaps bigger) SW fan, has zero interest in SW figures of any kind and never has.

I can certainly understand people who separate Hollywood itself from the movies/shows it produces - like those who want to keep nightmares and dreams separate. :lol
Nope. I’m with Darth Snoopy. I really couldn’t give a rat’s behind about any of these award shows. I watch movies, shows, etc, to be entertained. I really don’t care what goes on with the actors or anyone else involved in these things afterwards.

But when you have something like The Slap transpiring live during a ceremony like this, well, you can’t help but read about it. It’s pretty darn amusing. The memes are gold.

Well, some people certainly talk about what they do as if it's the best they've ever done. :lol I was referring to folks who push themselves for real.

I don't think you can just take the ones you respect. For every Arnold, there's a Trump. The workaholic, the salesmen, or the con man -- they're all very much the same. The goal is to convince you they are great at what they do and that you should trust them to do it.

The problem with award shows is that they don't actually reflect what real people think and only that of their microcosm. Then you get studio interference where you see travesties like Shakespeare in Love beating Saving Private Ryan, and Gweneth Paltrow beating Care Blanchett).

Credibility has been even further eroded with all the diversity requirements which has zero to do with the quality of a movie. Historic movies will lose credibility if they need to fit in a diverse cast that didn't exist at the time, or worse still, they won't get made at all.

Oscars ratings were somewhat consistent - within 10-15% of 40m viewers - pretty much from the late 1970s all the way up to the mid 2010s.

While Hollywood has been in decline for two decades (youtube, big screen TVs, corporate reliance on IP, etc etc - whole other conversation) the Oscars were mostly done in by the overall mass-movement away from broadcast over the past 5-7 years, which has impacted pretty all major televised awards shows, along with the old network model itself.

Oddly, the morally "cancelled" Golden Globes (whose demise Amy Schumer joked about at the 2022 Oscars) were the one awards show that bucked this trend, maintaining its total viewership in the last 5 years of its existence even as the Oscars and Emmys nearly halved their viewership.

No Oscars in 40+ years? To quote Jimmy Kimmel from the other night, you've been living under a Chris Rock. :lol So you missed the slap heard around the world as it happened?

And Oscar parties notwithstanding, I reserved the other 364 nights of the year for chasing women and partying.:lecture
Interestingly the US population has increased by 100m in the last 40 years, so relatively the audience has significantly declined.

Coda beating Dune. Sigourney not winning for Aliens, Ian not winning for Fellowship, Alec not winning for Star Wars.

The Academy rarely gets it right. 10 films in the Best Picture category and No Way Home, the highest grossing film during a worldwide pandemic that brought millions of people back to the cinema doesn't even get a nomination?

Plus it's not as fun anymore. No one wants to host it, and the days of knowing every single star in the audience is long gone. Take a look at this clip and see all the real movie stars we had back in the day.

0.00: Will Smith still laughing out loud at Rock's "G.I. Jane" joke

0.07: Rock says "ah-oh..." signalling he's seen Will Smith get out of his seat

0.12: Will Smith slaps Rock.

7 seconds from laughing to rising to go hit someone? 12 seconds from laughing to actual hitting? :horror

Who does that, other than Joe Pesci from Goodfellas?

Forget Alopecia, defending family/wife and open marriage - to go from laughing to snapping and leaving your seat to slap someone in just 7 seconds shows Will Smith's mental problems is solely what this is about.

Even if this happened at a wedding it would bring up serious mental health questions: and this was in front of hundreds of his peers/colleagues and tens of millions of viewers.

I've also seen screencaptures of Smith smirking as he returns to his seat - meanwhile in footage captured from another angle that seems to be real - Jada now appears to be laughing as Chris Rock reacts on stage to the slap. You can't see her face in this footage but the way she shifts in her seat and the way her head moves is indicative of laughter. And then Smith turns serious.

All kinds of weirdness.

Last edited:
Scene from Revenge of the Smiths, lol.

277732149_4918414178248407_6964116160913748765_n.jpg

Plus it's not as fun anymore. No one wants to host it, and the days of knowing every single star in the audience is long gone. Take a look at this clip and see all the real movie stars we had back in the day.

Not sure I ever agreed that popularity of a film, or box office, was criteria for winning an Oscar. But.
I HAD thought films were judged by industry professionals, trained, skilled in their craft, whether it was acting, directing, cinematography, etc.
So it might be irritating if certain films didn't win, but there was probably a reason for the winners.

I was wrong, the whole system seems whack. Or maybe it once was viable, but now it's bs. If ratings were dropping, yeah, so the Oscars had gotten tired; so just don't televise but keep to some standards. Now it's just a classless, overbloated trash mess.

It’s all BS if you ask me. Here’s an idea, don’t televise the Oscars or any of these award shows anymore. Who really cares about some overpaid actor or any of the Hollywood people winning an award and giving some boring speech?

That doesn’t make me sound like a hater at all :LOL: I’m really not though. I’ve always felt it was unnecessary lol. 🤷‍♂️

True, half their speech is thanking their agents and managers and higher-ups who "shepherded" the project.

Then there's the class act when they start "playing off" a winner -- the lower you are on the food chain, the quicker that music starts.

Understandable and yup, everyone is different.

I have a friend who loves all the SW merch, especially figures, but doesn't like the movies :eek: , he'd rather read the books.

We went to see SW in 1977 together as kids and he went ape just like every other adolescent at the time. :lol

I don't get it personally don't understand his way of thinking but to each their own. I still think he's :cuckoo: :monkey3

:lol

I'm approaching that mindset myself.

I truly will never understand why its ok for any given character to be an absolute badass in the books and the comics, and onscreen we get - something else. At this point I'm like look, just give me some good graphic novels....

Imagine for instance that we got a Darth Vader show. Whatever went on there would be a far, far cry from the seriousness and badassitude that we got from his titular comic. No one would die, and Vader would get a cute little sidekick.

I'm approaching that mindset myself.

I truly will never understand why its ok for any given character to be an absolute badass in the books and the comics, and onscreen we get - something else. At this point I'm like look, just give me some good graphic novels....

Imagine for instance that we got a Darth Vader show. Whatever went on there would be a far, far cry from the seriousness and badassitude that we got from his titular comic. No one would die, and Vader would get a cute little sidekick.
Kid Vader!
56e989be8896664ea0e69e6b9bec4294.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back