The Terror coming to Blu-ray March 29th 2011!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:panic::panic::clap:yess::peaceHAPPY FOR YA BUD---But ME: I absolutely refuse to go blu on movies that are gonna be old and grainy no matter what they do to them. My dvds will have to do until I finally drop dead. Mans gotta eat. Cant spend all my money "upgrading" when what I have right now is fine. But go for it, Nickie!!!!! I know you must gobble up all new things that are KING KARLOFF.

:panic::panic::clap:yess::peaceHAPPY FOR YA BUD---But ME: I absolutely refuse to go blu on movies that are gonna be old and grainy no matter what they do to them. My dvds will have to do until I finally drop dead. Mans gotta eat. Cant spend all my money "upgrading" when what I have right now is fine. But go for it, Nickie!!!!! I know you must gobble up all new things that are KING KARLOFF.

Yes I have not made the change to Blu-ray yet as well. But I do have a few for when I do. :D Waiting to buy a new TV, I do not have the money right now. :( I want to get one of those 3D HD flat TVs and a 3D Blu-ray player at some point. Will those play all DVDS, Blu-rays, and 3D Blu-rays? Anyone know?

Nick

I'm still holding out on 3D. BluRay makes all the difference sharpening up 70's films and the like. But I'm still of the opinion that, like it was back in the day, 3D is a gimmick that will run its course.

I'm still holding out on 3D. BluRay makes all the difference sharpening up 70's films and the like. But I'm still of the opinion that, like it was back in the day, 3D is a gimmick that will run its course.

Apple has already logged a patent for 3D TV technology that doesn't require special glasses, so the technology is still very much in its infancy.

I'd encourage enveryone to wait before jumping on the 3D bandwagon. Buy a larger, cheaper HDTV instead.

Holy hell, they are doing a Dementia 13 blu-ray too. I thought it would be ages before these films got the blu-ray treatment but being in the public domain I guess someone was bound to do it. If these actually look substantially better, my mind will be racing in anticipation for more possibilities. All those Lugosi, Karloff, and Price public domain titles could actually see the light of day on blu-ray.

Last edited:
'Splain it to me Lucy:dunno---why exactly would you shuck out extra clams for a movie that will look and sound exactly the same in blu as on dvd? :(Doesnt a blu player up convert regular dvd anyway? :dunnoIf so--isnt that about all the clearer the oldies would become? I am by no means a "stuck on 8 tracks" kind of guy, and I upgraded all my vhs tapes to dvd. But it seems like there just cannot be that much more room for improvement on a film that is 80 years old. :monkey1That being said I am not one of those sitting around waiting for the blu ray release of Nosferatu 1922.:impatient::lecture:slap

'Splain it to me Lucy:dunno---why exactly would you shuck out extra clams for a movie that will look and sound exactly the same in blu as on dvd? :(Doesnt a blu player up convert regular dvd anyway? :dunnoIf so--isnt that about all the clearer the oldies would become?

I used to think this way too until I learned that film, even the old stuff, is still higher resolution than anything being distributed today. I even argued that I couldn't tell the difference between up-converted DVD and blu-ray until I got glasses! (true story)

Blu Ray isn't always the best for these oldies, as is the case with Gojira. With the blue ray version, you can really see all the dust and scratches from the old film. However, the color (er, blacks and grays) are much better than the DVD. So it's kind of give and take for these old films.

I used to think this way too until I learned that film, even the old stuff, is still higher resolution than anything being distributed today. I even argued that I couldn't tell the difference between up-converted DVD and blu-ray until I got glasses! (true story)

Blu Ray isn't always the best for these oldies, as is the case with Gojira. With the blue ray version, you can really see all the dust and scratches from the old film. However, the color (er, blacks and grays) are much better than the DVD. So it's kind of give and take for these old films.

Imma save my money for toys then......:yess:

Blu-ray players do indeed "up convert" standard DVDs, but when a company makes an effort to polish up black-and-white movies like Universal did with Psycho, the results are pretty impressive.

That said, I really only find Blu-ray about 25% sharper than DVD. I don't think it's a huge leap like it was from VHS to DVD. For example, if I get Them!, I won't really care if it's DVD or Blu-ray. Same goes for TV stuff.

A lot of older movies look better in blu. Basically, any film recorded on 35mm is already a kind of HD; the resolution of 35mm film is greater than that achieved on a standard DVD. So when these older films are remastered for blu-ray, they appear clearer than their DVD counterparts.

The problem is that many of those older 35mm films no longer exist, either due to decomposition, or destruction. A lot of films were transferred onto 16mm to save money, or transferred directly onto videotape, and the 35mm prints destroyed.

That's why certain older films, like the early James Bond movies and the Warriors look almost HD when viewed on blu-ray. I believe the recent blu-ray releases of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly, and True Grit are also remastered from the original 35mm prints.

At least, that's how it was explained to me. I couldn't figure out how they could air HD versions of the original Hogan's Heroes episodes on TV. It turns out the original films have all been preserved.

Yes I have not made the change to Blu-ray yet as well. But I do have a few for when I do. :D Waiting to buy a new TV, I do not have the money right now. :( I want to get one of those 3D HD flat TVs and a 3D Blu-ray player at some point. Will those play all DVDS, Blu-rays, and 3D Blu-rays? Anyone know?
Nick

Yes they will..:wink1:

I still aint going for it. I have a bluer ray player, and some blus..but tons of dvds. So unless one of my dvd versions is stolen, melts, gets scratched or has a Rhedosaurus step on it, then the dvds will be my last official upgrade of my treasured classics in any format. Considering I used to watch these films with cracks, pops, wheezes, scratches, dirt, splicing, etc. on late nite tv for years...the dvds already make it look like they films have been reborn for the most part anyway. Plus--I like to eat.

The Terror is not going to be remastered. Only upscaled from whatever crappy master already exists. Sorry Nick, it's just not worthy of that kind of attention, even with the two masters of horror in it.

If anyone is wondering if it's worth upgrading to blu ray on these older releases, check out Metropolis. However, keep in mind that Kino usually does it right.

The Terror is not going to be remastered. Only upscaled from whatever crappy master already exists. Sorry Nick, it's just not worthy of that kind of attention, even with the two masters of horror in it.

I heard the opposite, scroll down to 3/25: https://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa191.html

"We've got a little more information for you today on Film Chest and Virgil Films & Entertainment's 4/16 Blu-ray/DVD Combo release of Roger Corman's The Terror (SRP $15.99). The film has been restored from original 33mm film elements, and the disc will include a restoration demo and trailer. You'll also get a postcard reproduction of the film's poster. Not bad for a B-lister. "

This will be awesome if true, and promising if this company keeps these releases coming.

I only have The Terror from the 50 horror film movie pack, and have been meaning to buy a standalone dvd but with so many versions to choose from it was hard knowing which was the best, so a relief that this blu-ray came along.

I heard the opposite, scroll down to 3/25: https://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa191.html

"We've got a little more information for you today on Film Chest and Virgil Films & Entertainment's 4/16 Blu-ray/DVD Combo release of Roger Corman's The Terror (SRP $15.99). The film has been restored from original 33mm film elements, and the disc will include a restoration demo and trailer. You'll also get a postcard reproduction of the film's poster. Not bad for a B-lister. "

This will be awesome if true, and promising if this company keeps these releases coming.

I only have The Terror from the 50 horror film movie pack, and have been meaning to buy a standalone dvd but with so many versions to choose from it was hard knowing which was the best, so a relief that this blu-ray came along.

Thanks for posting this info! :D To everyone else, Anytime a Boris Karloff film comes to Blu-ray I am going to make a big deal out of it, That's just the way it is because KARLOFF IS KING! :D

Nick

Back