Statue The Silver Surfer Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope it tops this piece with the cosmic trail painted blue purple etc etc

s-l1600.jpg

Target had this Exclusive Cosmic Variant Marvel Icons 12" figure.. very hard to find. I always thought a variant Cosmic Silver Surfer statue would be interesting... much like Genis-Vell repaint Vince Vell customs did awhile back.

I could always have a custom made like that if we dont see a variant.

9772034.webp

chrome looks awful on statues... just my opinion

erases all the details on the sculpt

sideshow-exc-silver-surfer-comiquette_1_cd1bafc621f48cb9db78a085dac181db.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

That is pretty much what I was envisioning when I was trying to articulate the differences I see in Bel versus Harbottle. It's a good example of what i was trying to describe as an "outside in" approach.
Another way to think of the differences- the body attitude that Harbottle usually conveys looks like he choses a key frame from a continuum of fluid motion. I can see what motions brought the figure to that point, and I can easily envision where their follow through motions could naturally take them for the next "key frame".

By contrast, the above design looks like a figure being told to strike a dynamic pose and hold it. Like a typical comic book panel or pin-up/splash page, the pose exists in isolation, with no purpose beyond it's initial visual impact. The preceding or following panel could have the figure in a completely different attitude and it's simply not necessary to see how his body got from point a to point b.

Two schools of approach- and again, I'm not saying one is better than the other. I just would have loved to have seen what an artist, who sees things in terms of fluid, natural motion, could have come up with for this particular character.

Also that body type in the above piece is right in line with the main '90's comic industry aesthetic where every character had a ripped-from-the-pages-of-Muscle & Fitness, 'roided out wrestling superstar's physique.
I suppose that's the formula the main purchasing demographic is going to expect, and almost certainly what SS is going to give them. For something like that, Bel will absolutely deliver the goods.
It should be a good bet that if you dig the above statue, SS's eventual offering will probably be a good companion piece.

I do like the "C" composition for the cosmic trail.

The hype and expectation of this piece is great lol

Chrome can look amazing:

https://sg.carousell.com/p/chrome-silver-surfer-statue-176762033/

I'm one of those who wanted a more chromed colossus, some people prefer to see the sculpt so less reflective. I just think it looks good when done well

I agree. I have the Bowen chrome Colossus and Surfer. I think they look amazing. I also had the Bowen action Surfer customized at Creations n' Chrome and I think that looks fantastic as well. That all said, I can't see Sideshow spending the dollars to have any of their statues chromed out. Especially a statue like the Surfer where the whole figure and board would need the chrome treatment.

It'd be cool to see this with a magnetic effect so it would be suspended with no attachment. Maquette now days is considered something "more than" a standard PF, curious to see what sideshow will try with this. Definitely looking forward to seeing this and Robin.

s-l1600.jpg

Target had this Exclusive Cosmic Variant Marvel Icons 12" figure.. very hard to find. I always thought a variant Cosmic Silver Surfer statue would be interesting... much like Genis-Vell repaint Vince Vell customs did awhile back.

I could always have a custom made like that if we dont see a variant.

9772034.webp

chrome looks awful on statues... just my opinion

erases all the details on the sculpt

sideshow-exc-silver-surfer-comiquette_1_cd1bafc621f48cb9db78a085dac181db.jpg

The hype and expectation of this piece is great lol

Chrome can look amazing:

chrome_silver_surfer_statue_1530332171_5d41feb0_progressive.jpg

I'm one of those who wanted a more chromed colossus, some people prefer to see the sculpt so less reflective. I just think it looks good when done well

semi-chrome vs chrome

I'm liking the semi-chrome at the moment. Seems like the details can be seen better on the semi-chrome.

semi-chrome vs chrome

I'm liking the semi-chrome at the moment. Seems like the details can be seen better on the semi-chrome.

Man, when it?s shown like that, I?ll recant my statement and say ?semi-chrome, please.? Didn?t realize all of the detail lost with full chrome.

Last edited:
Call me crazy but I still love the full chrome better, that's how I imagine him :rock

What time is the reveal supposed to be?

I don't think anyone knows at this point. The fact they didn't show a prototype piece means it is probably isn't close to being ready. My guess is it will be revealed in their Online Comic Con event in July.

What time is the reveal supposed to be?

I?d say a few months and preorder months after that, but I can?t say for sure. The Magneto PF thread would probably be a good thread to reference though. He was announced during 12 days a few years ago.

I?d say a few months and preorder months after that, but I can?t say for sure. The Magneto PF thread would probably be a good thread to reference though. He was announced during 12 days a few years ago.

I hope so, I want to see what it's going to look like but I can wait. That gives some time to clear stuff out and save...

I like the chrome but I don't see SS actually doing chrome. Whatever the finish is, as long as they "deliver" it may mot matter that much. I could be wrong...:lol

Yea, true. Time to clear the PO list that's there right now is a good thing.

Just anxious to see what they have planned for us, tho. Even a art concept of this SSC Silver Surfer would be nice to appease my curiosity.

Hoping for a sneak peek or a reveal before SDCC20.

I mean ...c'mon ...it's not like Silver Surfer is the most complex design to sculpt. Pose, proportions, anatomy and paint are key here.

Not sure if the search function is still kaputs ...so bumping this thread up.

We need an update on this desperately!

Back