The Sandman - Netflix Series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does Gaiman have any official say in anything in regards to ownership? I thought DC owned the character and all the rights.

Does Gaiman have any official say in anything in regards to ownership? I thought DC owned the character and all the rights.
I'm not sure how all this works. In articles Gaiman described "shopping" the series and went with Netflix, because Netflix was willing to fund 11 initial episodes vs. 10.

In a recent Tweet (), he answered a fan that the series could be moved to another network if Netflix doesn't pick it it up. So maybe it's something complicated where WB doesn't care, as long as they get their cut if a show is being produced.

I think his lawsuit drama was with McFarlane over ownership of the Angela character and the Miracleman rights. Gaiman won.

Apparently DC still owns all of Sandman's characters and trademarks and licensing and all that, but they have a special deal with Gaiman that they don't do anything without his input or blessing. And Gaiman is obviously paid more handsomely than just about any other creator.

My guess is sometime in the 90s they realized what a phenomenon they had on their hands and they might have actually learned from their mistakes with Alan Moore.

I'm pretty sure that going forward, all (most?) of the properties published by Vertigo were creator-owned. (Transmetropolitan, Preacher, Invisibles, Y: The Last Man) but Sandman remained DC's property because Vertigo didn't even exist when Gaiman started writing Sandman. A lot of the characters are even old DC characters, such as Cain and Able, Destiny, Hector and Hypolyta Hall, Dr. Destiny, etc.) The connections to the DC universe were phased out as Sandman became a big hit.

Anyway...TL;DR....DC Comics owns Sandman 100% but they try to be "cool" about it and Gaiman doesn't complain publicly.

Season 2 green lit.
So much mediocre writing and production. And then there are stunning productions like Sandman:clap:clap:clap. It 's almost like I can't assimilate a network made an intelligent decision LOL. Especially the cancel-happy Netflix.

Back