The Resurrection (The Passion of the Christ sequel)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Passion of the Christ sequel

If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.

Some old news on this. Seems pretty intriguing that Gibson is attempting to explore Christ's possible relation to other worlds aside from Earth. It's something I've pondered about, myself.

https://realnewsrightnow.com/2016/01/mel-gibson-at-golden-globes-im-filming-passion-of-the-christ-2/

I'm honestly intrigued by that. You know very well I'm not religious, but open to the idea of it. Or at least, something above human understanding. And seeing what any raised Christian (I was) has imagined in their heads at a young age, or even now, flushed out in a very serious tone makes it pretty compelling to see it.

I would so watch Mad Max Jesus fight off aliens.

kwcRp24Wz4lZm.gif

Some old news on this. Seems pretty intriguing that Gibson is attempting to explore Christ's possible relation to other worlds aside from Earth. It's something I've pondered about, myself.

https://realnewsrightnow.com/2016/01/mel-gibson-at-golden-globes-im-filming-passion-of-the-christ-2/

Not sure I buy it. Sounds like an interesting concept that shouldn't be called a 'sequel' to Passion. Marketing a work of Christian sci-fi as a 'sequel' to a literal depiction of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ is likely to cause more harm than good. Sounds like a weird departure for a director that was so intent on faithfulness to the Bible that he had to be talked into using subtitles.

Also ... if true, I'd like to take a moment to thank James Franco for refusing the part. I wouldn't want that clown anywhere near it. Joaquin Phoenix? Eh. He's a good actor, but not exactly what I was thinking. He's also supposed to be playing Christ for a Mary Magdalene movie of some kind, which makes me think maybe some wires were crossed in this reporting.

Is Jim Caviezel unavailable? Too old?

SnakeDoc

Pretty ridiculous if Mel really is considering following The Passion with a planet hopping Jesus movie. Hopefully Caviezel won't have anything to do with this if true.

isnt religion and alien life theory not compatible?

found this:

The Bible gives us no reason to believe that there is life elsewhere in the universe; in fact, the Bible gives us several key reasons why there cannot be.

However, that has not stopped theologians, astronomers, and science fiction fans and writers through the years from contemplating the “what ifs” long and hard. The debates have narrowed down where the problems would arise, if the existence and discovery of extraterrestrial life could be proved.

It is often asked, ‘Just because the Bible teaches about God creating intelligent life only on Earth, why couldn’t He have done so elsewhere?’
After all, Scripture does not discuss everything, e.g. motorcars. However, the biblical objection to ET is not merely an argument from silence. Motor cars, for example, are not a salvation issue, but we believe that sentient,intelligent, moral-decision-capable beings is, because it would undermine the authority of Scripture.

In short, understanding the big picture of the Bible/gospel message allows us to conclude clearly that the reason the Bible doesn’t mention extraterrestrials (ETs) is that there aren’t any.
Surely, if the earth were to be favoured with a visitation by real extraterrestrials from a galaxy far, far away, then one would reasonably expect that the Bible, and God in His sovereignty and foreknowledge, to mention such a momentous occasion, because it would clearly redefine man's place in the universe.

I wouldn't trust the news from this site. For one, it seems to be conflating things... Joaquin Phoenix is actually playing Jesus in the unrelated MARY MAGDALENE film, starring Rooney Mara.

I also think the "sci-fi" thing is being a tad overblown, but I do believe there will be more fantasy elements in this one. THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST is probably the most purely Catholic work of art since the Renaissance. It's so utterly Catholic, in fact, that I'm still shocked at how many Protestant Christians supported the film. It was essentially a Passion Play come to life, and cross between a Stations of The Cross film and an adaptation of The Dolorous Passion by Anne Catherine Emmerich, an 18th Century German nun who suffered stigmata and also had detailed visions from the Virgin Mary of the Crucifixion and Jesus' descent into Hell (and eventual ascension 3 days later). There are little moments in the film that are right out of that book, such as when Jesus is flipped over on the cross as the Romans bend the nails back... but instead of landing on face he is seemingly held up by an unseen force, which only Mary Magdalene notices. The film also goes to great lengths to show why Mary (Jesus' Mother) is so revered within Catholicism. On that day, she suffered second-most (or even more, depending on one's point of view).

So, that said... If you expect Mel Gibson to make a sequel featuring a smiling Comic Book Super-Jesus (ala RISEN and many contemporary Christian films), then you're almost surely going to be disappointed. I'm betting this will indeed feature Christ's 3 days wandering the Afterlife (including Hell) before he is resurrected. It's actually here where his true suffering and salvation both came to fruition (well, that's what us Catholics believe anyway). It could also make for a very interesting film, both narratively and thematically. And it would most certainly be viscerally interesting. Also, in some Catholic teachings Hell is essentially an astral realm... existing outside physical time and space... so perhaps that is where people are gleaming this Sci-Fi, planet-hopping stuff?

isnt religion and alien life theory not compatible?
Only for Fundamentalists. The Vatican actually has Astrologists, Astronomers and Astro-Physicists, many of whom are both Scientist and Theologian. The "mystery of faith" has been a foundation of the Church since the beginning, and the Church is absolutely open to the notion of alien life.

Wonder what Jim Caviezel would think of Jesus and aliens, if rumors be true.

Caviezel is actually a member of Knights of Columbus, and studies at Notre Dame all the time.

found this:

The Bible gives us no reason to believe that there is life elsewhere in the universe; in fact, the Bible gives us several key reasons why there cannot be.

However, that has not stopped theologians, astronomers, and science fiction fans and writers through the years from contemplating the “what ifs” long and hard. The debates have narrowed down where the problems would arise, if the existence and discovery of extraterrestrial life could be proved.

It is often asked, ‘Just because the Bible teaches about God creating intelligent life only on Earth, why couldn’t He have done so elsewhere?’
After all, Scripture does not discuss everything, e.g. motorcars. However, the biblical objection to ET is not merely an argument from silence. Motor cars, for example, are not a salvation issue, but we believe that sentient,intelligent, moral-decision-capable beings is, because it would undermine the authority of Scripture.

In short, understanding the big picture of the Bible/gospel message allows us to conclude clearly that the reason the Bible doesn’t mention extraterrestrials (ETs) is that there aren’t any.
Surely, if the earth were to be favoured with a visitation by real extraterrestrials from a galaxy far, far away, then one would reasonably expect that the Bible, and God in His sovereignty and foreknowledge, to mention such a momentous occasion, because it would clearly redefine man's place in the universe.

You say there are "several key reasons" why the Bible precludes extraterrestrial life ... but notably didn't list them.

First, the potential existence of extraterrestrial life and the ability of extraterrestrials to visit Earth are two very different things. Which are you arguing would be counter-Biblical? If God were inclined to spawn multiple civilizations with no chance whatsoever of encountering one another, I'd have trouble thinking of a better arrangement than the universe as currently understood controlled by the laws of physics as currently understood.

Second, what if the existence of extraterrestrials isn't a 'Salvation issue' either? What if it doesn't change anything about our Creation, our Salvation, our place in the Universe, our relationship with the Almighty? Would God having other children necessarily diminish us? We are just as unimportant and as important as we ever were.

The Bible isn't a comprehensive guide to the universe. It's a need-to-know guide to humanity and our relationship with the Creator. I don't know that the existence of extra-terrestrials would necessarily make the cut. It seems to me that the 'big picture' of the Gospel wouldn't change either way.

SnakeDoc

Last edited:

It's so utterly Catholic, in fact, that I'm still shocked at how many Protestant Christians supported the film.

I'm a Baptist. I've read a bit of criticism of Marian themes, etc. in it ... but, I didn't see anything objectionable when I watched it. Yeah, there was some 'suffering Mary' stuff in there, but that's not contrary to Protestant Christianity ... you'd have to figure Mary had a pretty rough time watching her son tortured to death. Neither are the Stations of the Cross, or the parts they took from The Dolorous Passion, or whatever. It's all consistent with Protestant beliefs of about the crucifixion of Christ, even where there's artistic license.

The "descended to Hell" part is a departure, but not an extreme one. The Bible itself, as opposed to the Apostle's Creed, isn't especially clear on what Christ was doing between His death and the Resurrection ... so, I tend to view the "descended to Hell" belief as extra-Biblical artistic license. Possible, but not Gospel. Calvin, Luther, and the Westminster divines all differ on their interpretations of this.

I found nothing contrary to Protestant Christianity in Passion.

SnakeDoc

Last edited:

I would think if you're making a sequel to the Passion, you'd want to bring Caviezel. I thought that was a fantastic performance in Passion of the Christ.

Dunno about this space and other planet stuff though. Sounds like what they abandoned for Prometheus with "Engineer Jesus".

I actually think The Book of Acts would make for an interesting sequel. Pick up after the ascension and show how these guys started the Church. That, too, was fraught with peril and drama.

Back