The Princess and the Frog

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I am a big fan of 2D animation and totally hope for a successful comeback, I have to say that P&F (for me) was an "okay" movie. The quality of the animation and the songs were excellent, but it just did not have an emotional connection or impact on me. Two hours after I left the theater, the movie was out of my mind. Beauty and the Beast, on the other hand, haunted me for a good month and I had to go back and see it a couple of times in the span of a week. Who knows what makes an audience connect so intimately with a movie? Of course a great story line and characters you care about is at the core. But for whatever reason, Beauty and the Beast had it, and P & F did not (and this would hold true if both films were in CG or one was in CG and the other in traditional hand drawn animation).

I saw a poster for Rapunzel at Disney Hollywood Studios over the weekend. Looks like its going to be in 2D as well.

I saw a poster for Rapunzel at Disney Hollywood Studios over the weekend. Looks like its going to be in 2D as well.

I believe Rapunzel is a CG film. When Glen Keane was the lead director, the studio wanted him to go 2D, but he refused. Keane was trying to push the boundaries of CG by trying to make it not look like a CG film. The "painterly" style we are now seeing from released images is a result of that direction (of course I could be totally wrong and it turns out to be 2D...LOL)!

From High-Def Digest:
https://www.highdefdigest.com/news/...Frog_Blu-ray_Announced,_Box_Art_Revealed/4129

'The Princess and the Frog' Blu-ray Announced, Box Art Revealed

Disney's return to traditional 2D animation will give high-definition a kiss in March.

Disney/Buena Vista is prepping 'The Princess and the Frog' for a Blu-ray release on March 16.

The Blu-ray will feature 1080p video, a DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack, and supplements will include: Filmmaker intros; Audio commentary; Play movie with “Work in Progress”; Backstage Disney; Deleted scenes; Bringing Life to Animation; Magic in the Bayou: The Making of a Princess; The Return to Hand-Drawn Animation; The Disney Legacy; Disney's Newest Princess; The Princess and the Animator; Conjuring the Villain;A Return to the Animated Musical; Art Galleries; Disney Family Play; “What Do You See?” Princess Portrait Game; Music & More; “Never Knew I Needed” Music Video by Ne-Yo; and an Easter Egg: Drawing the Frog.

The release apparently will be available as a single Blu-ray or a Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo pack.

Suggested list price for the Blu-ray has been set at $39.99 and $44.99 for the combo pack.

Here's a peek at the packaging:

original.pjpeg

They changed the cover art a little. A shiny nickel if you can guess what it is :D

61ai3lmWAgL._SS500_.jpg

I believe Rapunzel is a CG film. When Glen Keane was the lead director, the studio wanted him to go 2D, but he refused. Keane was trying to push the boundaries of CG by trying to make it not look like a CG film. The "painterly" style we are now seeing from released images is a result of that direction (of course I could be totally wrong and it turns out to be 2D...LOL)!

That's too bad. But if its got a story like P&F and others I'll be fine with it. I enjoy the 2D animation, but I'm okay with the CGI as well. I will say that the poster certainly looked like 2D so if it is indeed CGI its very impressive.

Looks like they're using both styles. The blue border is for the regular version and the yellow is for the combo pack (BR+DVD+DC).
Also there's special features on the combo version that's not included on the regular.

blue border!

I want my nickel! :chew :lol

jefferson-nickel-photo-296x300.jpg

:D

Back