"The Predator" by Shane Black (2018)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't believe how bad it was...or maybe I can I guess. How often do we good genuinely good sequels to the classics anymore? Bladerunner 2049 was about it and even that would be disputed by some.

My guess is those that hated BR2049 probably liked this...

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Shane Black was the reasons fans were hoping it wouldn’t be like the others and be more like the original.

But hey even Lucas made an ugly mess of SW.

Yeah I thought Shane Black might know how to do it but

z5ce668328bacc8d7c507c47ba08f8e55d6cde11de873e047f54a6e78a165daf2.jpg

If the next Terminator is just as bad as this, good lord that will be the systematic death of three of my beloved childhood properties in a row. :slap

Though to be fair Covenant and Genisys are much better films even if the latter is still crap.

Prometheus and Covenant at least had some visual artistic merit and David was quite a standout character - the films overall just didn't quite work unfortunately, not as a backstory to Alien.

Terminator Genisys and The Predator are just trash. Somehow I find guilty pleasure in Genisys though whereas The Predator I got very little enjoyment.

There was 2 bits I thought were cool which I would have liked to have seen in a much better film - blood landing on the cloaked Predator and him improvising with a machine gun in the absence of his own weapons. With the latter I thought, yeah, this is a race of Aliens who are obsessed with weapons and killing so why wouldn't they have curiosity and knowledge of another species weaponry. The problem is though one feels like he shouldn't have been killing anyone at all given his overall mission. - if you buy that there would be a rogue Predator who wants to assist humans against his own kind (which I expect not everyone can, P. probably detests the notion) what sense does it then make that he is still sadistically and brutally killing humans from his very arrival on Earth? He even strings one up for dramatic effect.

Prometheus and Covenant at least had some visual artistic merit and David was quite a standout character - the films overall just didn't quite work unfortunately, not as a backstory to Alien.

Terminator Genisys and The Predator are just trash. Somehow I find guilty pleasure in Genisys though whereas The Predator I got very little enjoyment.

There was 2 bits I thought were cool which I would have liked to have seen in a much better film - blood landing on the cloaked Predator and him improvising with a machine gun in the absence of his own weapons. With the latter I thought, yeah, this is a race of Aliens who are obsessed with weapons and killing so why wouldn't they have curiosity and knowledge of another species weaponry. The problem is though one feels like he shouldn't have been killing anyone at all given his overall mission. - if you buy that there would be a rogue Predator who wants to assist humans against his own kind (which I expect not everyone can, P. probably detests the notion) what sense does it then make that he is still sadistically and brutally killing humans from his very arrival on Earth? He even strings one up for dramatic effect.

If you want the Rogue Predator's character to make sense (not that I expect you to care one way or the other) then IMO the best way to go about it is assume that the humans were clueless as to why he was on Earth. Just assume that there were two warring factions of Predators and that the Rogue stole some battle armor tech that would help his side kill the "super" Predators but his jump drive malfunctioned in the ensuing battle bringing him to Earth. The humans were never the intended recipients of the stolen tech and were simply caught in the middle, arrogantly (and wrongly) assuming that they were an important piece of the other-worldly conflict which is why the Rogue slaughtered anyone who got in his way.

Last edited:
There are many movies that are works of art like BR 2049 or the new Planet of the Apes Trilogy that will get the recognition they deserve. Then they are movies that the general masses will define as absolute **** and yet we might revisit them more due to our “guilty pleasures” (i.e. The last two Terminator Movies). So I ask you….which is the better movie one that is defined to be good or one that is horrible but you tend to watch more.

If you want the Rogue Predator's character to make sense (not that I expect you to care one way or the other) then IMO the best way to go about it is assume that the humans were clueless as to why he was on Earth. Just assume that there were two warring factions of Predators and that the Rogue stole some battle armor tech that would help his side kill the "super" Predators but his jump drive malfunctioned in the ensuing battle bringing him to Earth. The humans were never the intended recipients of the stolen tech and were simply caught in the middle, arrogantly (and wrongly) assuming that they were an important piece of the other-worldly conflict which is why the Rogue slaughtered anyone who got in his way.

Yeah the film was just too much of a write-off to be bothered trying to salvage any one aspect but if I was so inclined I could buy your suggestion. However, in all likelihood, the real intention was exactly as speculated by the human characters and it would be continued in any follow-up....which hopefully now won't happen.

. . . the real intention was exactly as speculated by the human characters . . .

Nah - as I posted WAY back - it was all conclusion drawn by characters with little information, who proceeded to speculate wildly.

. . . bit like all our "news" networks these days.​

But then this is pure speculation on my part (regarding the plot, not the news comparison) :)

I know but you just know any follow-up movie would not be able to resist having more 'ally' Predators and more Predator VS Predator action. Thus the human character's 'speculation' would inevitably be proven correct by any sequel.

I know but you just know any follow-up movie would not be able to resist having more 'ally' Predators and more Predator VS Predator action. Thus the human character's 'speculation' would inevitably be proven correct by any sequel.

They can do the "Pred on Pred" stuff without confirming any of the supposition though. So many great ideas in the graphic novels already.

I certainly hope that's the case anyways - and regardless - I don't want to see Black, Decker, or any of the execs that greenlit "The Predator" ANYWHERE NEAR this franchise EVER AGAIN.

Can't help but smile at the irony of "the loonies" being the best part of the film, whilst the real idiots held the purse-strings and wrote the script
icon_rolleyes.gif

my god....was Shane Black paid to torpedo the franchise? I'm beginning to think so....

Sigourney Weaver never would have approved it given her previous comments about how Alien VS Predator cheapened the Alien series. She's either not a fan of Predator or at the very least thinks they should not have crossed over. So it would never have been her playing the role and thus....what would have been the point? Not to mention the fact that Ripley A) isn't a superhero and B) shouldn't even exist yet so that means they must have had in mind to bring time travel into it or something...Christ. :slap

Back