"The Predator" by Shane Black (2018)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just the other day I watched "The Nice Guys" (which I hadn't seen), and it made me realize what a one-trick pony Shane Black is. There was nothing even remotely interesting about the whole thing... it all sounded and looked so forced, everything was just trying to be cool and hip and "in the know".
I remember loving Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, so after watching The Nice Guys I sat down to see it again, and surely enough, it hasn't really held up.
I fear watching Iron Man 3 again, which I also enjoyed when I first saw it...

I just saw this a few days ago. It seemed really good for the first 1/3rd or so, before falling off the rails in various ways. There was real potential there, though. Shame it didn't quite hit the mark. It was certainly way, way, way better than the AvP movies, and I even liked it more than Predators. Though Predators may have been a more consistent film, it wasn't all that creative. And novel, creative approaches to films are what I will usually root for. In that respect, Black may have not made a great action/horror film, but I appreciate the willingness of the studio to try something different. I was surprised at how good Olivia Munn was, I liked the team of crazy vets teaming up, the main protagonist was well cast and did a good job, as was T'Chaka's brother. I though the regular Predator himself was well done, though the CG monster Predator was not great. But, as usual with Predator movies, it didn't come together as well as it could have. The climax was oddly done, and felt less polished than the early part of the film. I know there were extensive reshoots, and maybe this was an improvement over the alternative, but it was a really strange way to wrap the film up IMO. Many of the attempted parallels to the first film also fell flat to me.

I say just stop with these franchises altogether. In the words of Bishop in Alien 3 they'll ''never be top of the line again''.
That's almost always the case, but. . .

Thank God BR 2049 bombed at the box office and we have at least one iconic sci-fi franchise that might remain forever untarnished.
The fact that a Blade Runner and Mad Max sequel can be so damn good is what makes me hope they keep trying. Attaching Shane Black felt like a really good idea to me. Maybe it was just a miss, or maybe the studio got too involved or something. I haven't followed this movie enough to know.

Just the other day I watched "The Nice Guys" (which I hadn't seen), and it made me realize what a one-trick pony Shane Black is. There was nothing even remotely interesting about the whole thing... it all sounded and looked so forced, everything was just trying to be cool and hip and "in the know".
I remember loving Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, so after watching The Nice Guys I sat down to see it again, and surely enough, it hasn't really held up.
I fear watching Iron Man 3 again, which I also enjoyed when I first saw it...
I enjoyed Nice Guys, and like Black in general. But it's not high art, and I don't usually find myself wanting to watch his movies multiple times.

Wow, you and I basically had the same take on this movie kara, imagine that, lol. I've contended that it was quite good until the Super Predator showed up but that notion has mostly been shouted down in favor of "it sucked from beginning to end" reviews, lol.

I was surprised to see The Nice Guys was very well received by the critics. Goes to show how in touch I am with modern cinema... :lol
I liked the vibe quite a bit. And the actors were so good, that it may have masked some other flaws in the film to my eyes. I didn't love it, but I enjoyed it. Russell Crowe as a hardened tough guy is always a good idea. Loved him in LA Confidential.

Wow, you and I basically had the same take on this movie kara, imagine that, lol. I've contended that it was quite good until the Super Predator showed up but that notion has mostly been shouted down in favor of "it sucked from beginning to end" reviews, lol.
I knew the reviews were lukewarm, and like you say, until the scene right after the Predator got out of the lab I was wondering what eveyone else was missing! I haven't analyzed it all that carefully, but I think there were structural issues with the story. Maybe they were trying to do too much.

I'm usually easy on movies especially this kind of movie where it's just popcorn fun. This move just made me roll my eyes too many times. Munn's character bothered me. I must of missed her back story or I just reached a point I stopped paying attention; but where did she get her skills? Not the scientist, but the Rambo.

Well - my annoyance at "The Predator" has just paled into insignificance . . .

. . . I made the mistake of watching Aquaman. OMG was that terrible :gah: - badly scripted, badly acted, badly cast, bad cinematography, Transformers-style-bad SFX, bad music – can’t think of a single redeeming feature – even the humour (which I will normally fall back on to allow lapses) only worked about half the time.

No idea how that just passed $1Billion worldwide box-office . . . SMH :cuckoo:

Ok, so I've just started watching this, I'm 5 minutes into the movie, and it's already made me roll my eyes twice...
The ship is falling at what one might assume are supersonic speeds, it's already hugging the treeline while the sun is barely setting, but it's already pitch black when it suddenly crashes on our hero's head?
And have any of these guys ever seen a frigging crash site? Fine, the craft itself survived the crash, but the vegetation is almost intact, except for a few cozy flames here and there? That's 1960's TV bad.

Alright, I can see I'm starting on the wrong foot with this one...

Re: "The Predator" by Shane Black (2018)

Ok, so I've just started watching this, I'm 5 minutes into the movie, and it's already made me roll my eyes twice...
The ship is falling at what one might assume are supersonic speeds, it's already hugging the treeline while the sun is barely setting, but it's already pitch black when it suddenly crashes on our hero's head?
And have any of these guys ever seen a frigging crash site? Fine, the craft itself survived the crash, but the vegetation is almost intact, except for a few cozy flames here and there? That's 1960's TV bad.

haha if that bothered you I can't imagine how you felt about the rest of the film. It's horrendous.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

You shoulde have stopped watching it right there and imagined the rest of the movie. Anything you imagined would have turned out better... specially the ending

Yeah well... I did watch it to the end.

It has some redeeming qualities. I liked the first interaction of the soldiers, I thought that was nicely written and directed. There’s also some nice action scenes, but yeah, it’s a pretty crap movie...

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Back