The Order: 1866 (PS4)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't finished it yet, although I think I must be quite near the end now
Spoiler Spoiler:

I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far, graphics shouldn't be the be all and end all of games but it's nice to see something that truly "looks next gen", the order is eye wateringly pretty, it does seem to have a bit of an identity crisis going on, RAD say it's a third person shooter, and it is - at times. It also has a go at being like a point and click style adventure, it also throws in the slightest hint of climbing and jumping. The QTE's could also have been stripped back and replaced with some more 100% controllable "gameplay".

But it does all this in a beautifully realised world in a truely cinematic style. It's almost a movie that you can play parts of, that doesn't sound great and it's been accused of leading players down a very linear path, but its been done so well that I don't mind being taken on that ride.
I hope they do a sequel, if Ready At Dawn have learned lessons from the absolute critical drubbing this has received the next game in this series could be very special. RAD has mastered the tech, if they can use it and open the world up, make it more explorable, more traversable, more "playable" it could be so, so good.

Im on chapter IX now... I really enjoyed the game so far, sure it does have some flaws but can not believe its got bad review

Its not a bad game it just needed a bit more then what it offered imo.

I agree. So far, my only complaint would be the lack of background story via more items you can read or pick up. In the first chapter (or is that 2nd?), when you read the newspaper, I'd like more of that. Cover/action parts all feel pretty good to me. And actually, it kinda reminds me of Uncharted a tad with the mechanics. After having played Dragons Age I for 60 hours and only halfway or less, I was actually looking forward to a smaller game...so this is fitting that bill nicely. And gotta love the half-breed types. pretty creepy

I don't get it, but games like Heavy Rain, and any Telltale get passes, so not sure the hate on this one is truly justified. We shall see, but no regrets on this one

Don't take this too seriously guys, but I stumbled across it and couldn't stop laughing. It is aimed at this game but as a pc gamer myself, I recognise a lot of this across the board...

Don't take this too seriously guys, but I stumbled across it and couldn't stop laughing. It is aimed at this game but as a pc gamer myself, I recognise a lot of this across the board...

That was hilarious.

I don't come around here often so wasn't sure if you'd have seen it or not. It gets funnier with every watch, turns out there's quite a few variations for all kinds of titles.

I'm just glad this is getting bad reviews.
Shows that even paid journalism can't lie to it self and promote the death of gaming.

Game is pretty good. There is some missed opportunities here, for sure. I would love this exact looking game, but with side missions, more open ended options and more backstory. The moment they mentioned jack the ripper, I immediately was like, 'oh yes....'

The time period is definitely a huge saving grace for myself personally

I finished it a couple of days back, played on hard it probably took around 8 hrs. I really liked it, after 100+ Hours on DAI this was quite refreshing. Being able to get somewhere significantly with a story in 1/2 hour or 45 minute blocks of play was great after the trudge that DA became.
The mid credit scene sets up a sequel and I could really see a more "arkham" style game working well.
Spoiler Spoiler:

The order's setting, story and atmosphere are brilliant, it just needs to expand on playability and longevity. It's a fantastic world that RAD have created, they should give gamers a better opportunity to immerse themselves in it.

We are used to sandbox games today so i understand this game doesn't get enough praise.Im fine with the direction they are taking with this game,but it does have some rough edges that needs some polish.

One thing that kinda bummed me though was the Pre-order DLC pack.Why would you add something as an exclusive for Pre-Ordering then find out you can't use any of it on first playthrough.And when you can use them on second playthrough,you can't skip the cutscenes so that DLC pack was a huge waste.I won't bother that's for sure.You have to start a new game,doesn't work if you go back to certain chapters.

The mid credit scene sets up a sequel and I could really see a more "arkham" style game working well.
Spoiler Spoiler:

Hehe then you probably loved this part:
Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:
Ok, I finished the game last night. I had been on the bubble for a long time. My warning came from the fact that every time i saw a preview on it, always seemed like the same preview. . Glad I did get it. I've always loved the Jack the Ripper mythos, the surronding area and time period in general. All things that this game does extrememly well. Its amazing looking and sounding. I thought the voice work was top notch with every character. The look and atmosphere is top notch. When there were shooting parts, I felt that the game mechanic did that very well. Variety of weapons was good. And ratio aspect did not bother me at all this time. Guess I was used to it after Evil Within.

So, what the game does well, it does very very well. I just wanted more of it. levels, extra character development, extra side mission stuff to do. I sure hope this game gets sequel cause I would love them to take the look, characters and put it in a proper game with semi open world mechanics. To me, the game screamed open world. I would love a game in which Whitechapel is fully developed, and you can play within that. A big area, but not GTAV big or anything extreme.

Bottom line: after playing super long games, it was nice to play a shortish one. This one was a little short, but its damn good for what it does....

I give it an 80/100

Deductions for lack of control at times, overuse of QTE at times, and cut scenes that screamed 'cut scenes' but felt the need to make them semi-interactive with said QTEs. Not as bad as I had feared, but still there

hope Assassin's creed Victory catches the same atmosphere of Victorian London like the Order did

Back