The Official V 2009 TV Series Thread!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOVED the original 2 Mini-Series (actually I still do), so I was a little so-so about this remake/take on the idea/story of 'V'. I really did like the first episode, though I would agree with others that for at least the 30 minutes the show felt REALLY rushed and seemed to bypass regular plot progression (for example...all of sudden the son and friend are flying off to one of the ships! That was fast, ha!)

In some ways I wish the show was a continuation of the 2nd Mini-Series (yes, I'm ignoring the TV series that followed the two Mini-Series here, ha!). Buuuuuuuut, so far the show is interesting enough.

The huge gap between the first 4 episode and the rest of the remaining episodes will most likely be the death nail for the show. If they build up a big enough audience between the next few weeks, the majority of people won't stick around. Frankly the series just should have started in March and run through. It's already been riddled with production issues, so delaying would have been a better decision IMO.

I absolutely loved the first episode shame it's going for a long break after the first 4 but how many episodes are meant to be in this first season?

Didn't read the entire thread, but here are my thoughts:

Pilot episode seemed rushed. I mean it really moved along very quickly and felt like it could do well to have been stretched into a two episode mini-series or at least a 2 hour pilot episode. I felt it really lacked the raw emotional power and suspenseful build up the original. I know it's a modern take on a classic, but it still had that been-there-done-that feel to it overall. BSG, for example, is a great example of how to make a modern re-make of an original series feel fresh, new and interesting again. There was some good characters and some interesting dialogue exchange, but some sub par acting going on as well.

Spoiler Spoiler:
:confused:

Overall, not too terribly bad. The uber hot alien chicks are worth tuning in for the guys, and eye-candy sexual dynamo Morris Chesnut for the ladies. I'll hang on as long as I can for the season and see what it develops into.

"embrace change" "universal health care" "one world people" the media bias during anna's interview, WOW the similarities are undeniably creepy, you can't argue it. I think abc did it intentionally.

You noticed that too, eh? I found that very off-putting and made a comment about it to the wife during the show. For the record I support my commander-in-chief and the efforts of his administration, so subliminally throwing that little tid bit in the show kinda pissed me off a little. Almost makes me want to not watch it again to be truthful. But I'll get off that now because I don't want this turning into a heated political discussion.

The first one was VERY political. They just updated it to reflect this day and age. I am perfectly okay with it. Hell the first one was worse IMO because the V's basically were meant to be a spin off of the Nazi's. That's far worse IMO. Hell they even had a symbol and colors that were similar. That's what the show is basically about.

get use to shows ripping the president and administration. it's part of television and that's life..if president and the administration does not have tough shell or thick skin. then he is not a very good leader.
that's all i am going to say on it..

I was actually pretty surprised that they put that much political content in it (not that it wasn't entirely accurate and appropriate).

As for how fast it went, I've been thinking that not only is it a retelling of a story people are already familiar with, but the whole pattern is familiar. There have been a great many alien invasion stories since the early 80's, and similarly to zombie movies, you come to expect certain things. Rushing through them may have been better than dragging us over ground we've seen a thousand times.

And it may have been a logistical necessity. It doesn't sound like there's a lot of support at the network for this show (and I have to wonder if it has anything to do with the political undertones).

Haha! Yeah I thought that part was bad ass. In the original I can't remember if the visitors were already here in small cells or if they all came at once. This show is Teemu's wet dream. He needs a civil war resistance banner. :lol

Can a mod please change the thread title to add spoilers?

Pretty good episode although I thought it all happened too fast. No buildup whatsoever!!

Favorite scene:

Spoiler Spoiler:

No, in the original there was no pre-existing cells. They arrived, people chose sides, they were found to be lizards, the game was on.

While the "cell" idea isn't too bad, the show pushed into less than 60 minutes, what the first 4 hour miniseries gave us. thats too rushed. As stated, Tyler (nice name) is all of a sudden on a shuttle going to the mothership. Then he becomes the David Packer character from the original. All too quickly.
I like the original ships better and would have liked more similarity to them. And I don't un derstand how aliens dress in human business suits? It reminded me of the BSG crap remake where they still are using phones and dressing in suits, right alongside of amazing future technology. Where were the Visitor uniforms? Certainly not those movie theatre usher jackets they were giving the youth cadets!!
And, even if I accept that the series was rushed because they assume everyone knew what was happening based on the original, how did the guy running the meeting know with such certainty that they were reptilian? Had he found Donovan's missing video tape from decades ago?
Overall? I loved the original. I would have much rather preferred a continuation of Mike, Julie and Ham. But... this does have certain elements that beg to be followed before a clearcut final verdict can be given.
Just my $.02

As for how fast it went, I've been thinking that not only is it a retelling of a story people are already familiar with, but the whole pattern is familiar. There have been a great many alien invasion stories since the early 80's, and similarly to zombie movies, you come to expect certain things. Rushing through them may have been better than dragging us over ground we've seen a thousand times.

And it may have been a logistical necessity. It doesn't sound like there's a lot of support at the network for this show (and I have to wonder if it has anything to do with the political undertones).

Ok, I've been thinking about this. If you want to attract a new audience you can't assume that every teen has seen the original. Rather than rushing, they could have just built up a little slower to a better screen discovery of the humans discovering/confirming that the Visitors were indeed reptilian. As for Ryan being a surprise? Looking at it strictly from a cop show angle, it screamed out for the inside man to be him from the beginning. She told him her theory, they acted on it, it was a dead end. I doubt she tipped off everyone in her own theory.

I don't think today's teens would wait around for it to get good. Look at what happened to Invasion. That show was fantastic. But it got cancelled because it took them too long to get going and people lost interest.

The original V was a masterpiece, and this felt like a TV Show. A TV Show that is trying to be BSG. (OMG - They could be *ANYONE*! ZOMG!)

I'm going to try real hard to not make comparisons when watching the new one, but it's going to be difficult. I mean, when I think "V", I hear Abraham Bernstein yelling "V for victory!" in my head. This show is just throwing around V like it's a catchphrase.

"The V's"?!? :banghead:duh:banghead

{yes, I'm ignoring the TV series that followed the two Mini-Series here, ha!).

As you should...

I don't think today's teens would wait around for it to get good. Look at what happened to Invasion. That show was fantastic. But it got cancelled because it took them too long to get going and people lost interest.

I'm not saying that they needed to wait another 4 hours, but certainly the makers could have built it up a bit more?
And It appeared that the new Visitors might have 4 eyes? A clear cut look would have been nice. But where Ryan was struck, it showed his reptilian eye open. Then, when he grabbed her his "human" eyes opened and they weren't really near/under the gash in his head.
Either way if this series can generate interest that we can get a decent 1:6 treatment, both classic and new, I'll be ecstatic.
Oh, and I guess being as they've been here for years they don't need their sunglasses either.
Dave, any chance of a "V" smiley or two?

Last edited:
Just finished it and thought it was pretty great. Yeah 60 minutes felt rushed for the amount of content we got from it, but it still wasn't that bad. I like the sleeper cell concept. How better to learn about your enemies' weaknesses and how to use them than to live amongst them in the shadows pulling strings??

Just finished it and thought it was pretty great. Yeah 60 minutes felt rushed for the amount of content we got from it, but it still wasn't that bad. I like the sleeper cell concept. How better to learn about your enemies' weaknesses and how to use them than to live amongst them in the shadows pulling strings??

Yeah thought that aspect was pretty damn cool. I really did like this show. The coldness from the Anna character is bad ass.

Back