The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Official "The Hobbit" movie thread

I thought he already confirmed it on his website.

What you meant the one i just posted a few replies ago.:pfft:

That sounds promising and i would be suprised if he's not in it, i think there just letting us get over all the other shocks we have had to endure so far.

Orlando Bloom is apparently close to signing on to appear as Legolas.

Of course, he didn't appear in the book, but they can easily write him in since a major segment of the story takes place in his father's realm, and he could conceivably be involved in the Battle of the Five Armies as well.

I guess that would be good.

Movies are always gonna be a tad different.

Legolas could easily have a role in Mirkwood. Not sure what, but I'm sure they can find a way.

Can't see him being real friendly with the dwarves though...

Orlando Bloom is apparently close to signing on to appear as Legolas.

Of course, he didn't appear in the book, but they can easily write him in since a major segment of the story takes place in his father's realm, and he could conceivably be involved in the Battle of the Five Armies as well.

Thats fine. Those are minor tweaks I don't mind seeing added nor would I mind seeing Aragorn added in.

Thats fine. Those are minor tweaks I don't mind seeing added nor would I mind seeing Aragorn added in.

Same here. The books are just as much about what probably happened as much as 'did' happen. Aragorn and Legolas are already well known to each other during LOTR and Gimli doesn't (initially) have a dislike of Leggy for no reason!

Should be interesting to see how the story gets tweaked :)

I am interested to see what and how they tweak things. I'm sure there will be a Frodo sending off Sam moment (my most disliked part of the LOTR Trilogy) but there will be many great moments.

Okay. Aragorn was alive but he was only a boy of 10 years:

# 2931 - Birth of Aragorn, son of Arathorn II and Gilraen
# 2933 - Arathorn II is killed while hunting Orcs
# July, 2941 - Bilbo Baggins obtains the One Ring; the White Council drives Sauron out of Dol Guldur
# 2941 - Esgaroth is attacked by the dragon Smaug, who is consequentially killed by Bard the Bowman; Battle of Five Armies
# June 22, 2942 - Bilbo Baggins returns to Bag End
# 2951 - Sauron reveals himself in Mordor, and starts raising Barad-dûr anew. Estel, later known as Aragorn, comes of age and is told about his heritage; the Corsairs of Umbar officially ally themselves with Mordor and destroy great monument commemorating Ar-Pharazôn's victory over Sauron
# 2953 - Last meeting of the White Council. Fengel, fifteenth king of Rohan, dies. His son Thengel returns to Rohan to succeed him.
# 2956 - Aragorn first meets Gandalf the Grey

So if Viggo shows his face I will be all like this: :mad:

Legolas is ok though... :monkey1

But Viggo could cameo as Arathorn II, not that I subscribe to the overuse of cameos to the point of distraction.

Legolas works because he was already centuries old at the time. He obviously doesn't appear in the book, but according to continuity/lore, he was presumably present in Mirkwood/Thranduil's palace during the events of The Hobbit.

Aragorn was brought up by Elrond at Rivendell from the age of two, and so they could give the character a little cameo--but Viggo playing a ten-year-old is a bit much. And Aragorn didn't meet Gandalf until fifteen years after The Hobbit, so they need to respect Tolkien's timeline, however they end up using him. Aragorn's father died eight years prior to The Hobbit, so casting him as Arathorn would really be stretching things just to force Viggo into this movie.

I'm more concerned about Christopher Lee. He is probably unwilling and unable to return to the role of Saruman, particularly if it's a big part requiring location shooting. It would be great to see Elrond, Galadriel, Gandalf and Radagast being led into battle by Saruman the White, but Lee might not be up to that. I really don't want to see his role recast but that seems quite probable. It's a shame, because I would love to see more of him before he switches sides and see him as the leader, with some hints and foreshadowing about his temptation and fall.

Yeah, they probably should respect the timeline and I expect they will. Its just one of those selfish moments that I would like to see even knowing he shouldn't be there. :lol

I would like to see Lee back as well. To see him as full on good guy would be quite cool and even more impactful for when you watch LOTR.

Legolas just sitting there by his father would be alright. Anything much more than that would seem forced to me...

I can't imagine seeing Aragorn in it though. I wouldn't like that at all... You would think that all the forced cameos/connections in the SW prequels would have been a lesson to Jackson - I trust he won't go overboard...

Though if you're going to have the White Council and Saruman in it, it would be a damn shame if Christopher Lee wasn't in it. Is he simply too old at this point? Maybe they could have him do the voice with a computer generated face or something? (It worked pretty well in Terminator Salvation...)

Lee is definitely ancient but he's still an active actor to this day. I think it's 50/50 If we see him. He's made it clear he can't handle the travel to NZ, he'll defo not be able to handle any action scenes. So if they convince him to star, they will have to be very cute as to how the utilise him. CG, stunt doubles, filming his scenes in the U.K...
I hope he's in it. That would be the cherry right there :)

Favorite successful cameo of the Star Wars prequels:

Millenium Falcon! It was hard to find, unobtrusive, and did not detract from the "story." Plus, it obviously belonged in that universe and had a storied history.

So that type of cameo is copacetic with me. :D

Maybe. Maybe not.

The Narnia films can't do it right when they keep bringing back the White Witch. Besides, I don't see it as something PJ would be interested in. Thats what sets the LOTR films apart from most other franchises (like Narnia) is that PJ has no interest in injecting Fan Wank into his films.

Back