The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Official "The Hobbit" movie thread

My friend who bought me tickets for Christmas saw the HFR last night and hated it so badly he changed our tickets for tonight to IMAX 3D 24fps. :(

Guess that gives me an excuse to see it a third time. :lol

I'm going to see it one more time at 48 fps, because it's not going to catch on. At this point, I wonder if the other two will even be available that way. I think the complaints will drive it out of theaters. Which reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from The Simpsons, where Marge says, "Call me a killjoy, but I think that because this is not to my taste, no one else should be able to enjoy it."

I just saw it a second time, this time at 24 fps 3D. So much detail was lost compared to 48 fps. It all felt so blurry that I couldn't make sense of some shots that were so clear and vivid at the higher frame rate.

The IMAX HFR 3D remains the best looking movie I've ever seen.

The moving long shots especially. I noticed that too.

As I said in my long winded summary I dug Radagast except for his bird poop. He was what I thought he would be if he was on screen. Azog to be was totally badass looking and for me the cgi was awesome. I will buy statues of both for sure.

Erebor was amazing. The scenes we saw of it just dropped my jaw.

For me this movie was a 9/10.

Why do I get the feeling Jackson downgraded the 24fps to try and swindle the people to see it in 48fps?

As I said in my long winded summary I dug Radagast except for his bird poop. He was what I thought he would be if he was on screen. Azog to be was totally badass looking and for me the cgi was awesome. I will buy statues of both for sure.

Erebor was amazing. The scenes we saw of it just dropped my jaw.

For me this movie was a 9/10.

:exactly:

In fact all of the Dwarf stuff for me was great!

Why do I get the feeling Jackson downgraded the 24fps to try and swindle the people to see it in 48fps?

I liked it just fine at 24fps. Some of the long shots were a bit blurry because of the fast movement, but I see that in alot of films. I think my astigmatism may cause problems with that as well.

It's hard for me to judge the film without including the technical aspects, so I'm going to go with a 7/10. If the HFR and CG hadn't been so blatantly obvious in many scenes, it might have received an 8/10.

Kili 10/10

Thorin 9/10

:D

Mmmmm....I'd "toss" those dwarfs! :lol

I'm just back from seeing it in no frills 2D. Film of the year for me hands down and I often can't make that call straight away. Some reviews complained about the length but tbh this flew in for me.

Almost every scene is so faithful to the book but fans get all the extra goods thrown in. Undoubtedly there are some bad cg shots here and there but nothing that ruins the movie, they could have worked on Azog a bit more. Are they adding bolg to this trilogy or is azog just filling that role too?

Armitage ****ing nailed it as Thorin, what a badass!

I'm just back from seeing it in no frills 2D. Film of the year for me hands down and I often can't make that call straight away. Some reviews complained about the length but tbh this flew in for me.

Almost every scene is so faithful to the book but fans get all the extra goods thrown in. Undoubtedly there are some bad cg shots here and there but nothing that ruins the movie, they could have worked on Azog a bit more. Are they adding bolg to this trilogy or is azog just filling that role too?

Armitage ****ing nailed it as Thorin, what a badass!

:lecture:exactly::lecture

My showing just let out. Absolutely stunning; I hope and pray that the HFR catches on. Granted, it's not for every movie, but it was such a refreshing experience; it was like the first time I watched something in HD.

If it does, i'm going to stop watching future movies. I'll just end up making my own at that point.

Or just play it safe and watch in good old 24fps. No one is forcing us to watch these with the gimmicks tacked on, I'm glad we still have the choice(s).

I don't get why people hate change so much; especially change like this. It's not like anyone is forcing you to accept it as the primary form of entertainment; all of the other options are still there. When 3D came out, did 2D movies stop being shown? What makes HFR any different? Hell, they're still offering standard 24 FPS showings in both 2D and 3D. Stop being so contrarian and accept that change isn't always a bad thing, Celtic P.

Back