The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Official "The Hobbit" movie thread

I hope this turns out to be just as good as the LotR trilogy......I don't see how it couldn't be.

...but I thought the same of Prometheus :monkey2

Yeah, it appears there is talks. Interestedto see where this is gonna go.

:moon

"If Jackson were to keep that battle in the second film, the third movie could center on material from the “Lord of the Rings” appendixes, which have not previously been adapted for screen. (The six appendixes ran with “The Return of the King,” the final book in the trilogy, and feature backstories on many of the characters and cultures in Middle Earth.)"

I said that earlier:

The only way I can see this being made into 3 movie would be to have parts one and two dealing exclusively with the text of the Hobbit and have the third be based on things from the Appendices of the LOTR - namely the story of the white council ousting Sauron (the Necromancer) from Dol Guldur, his stronghold in Mirkwood.

In fact if I remember correctly the original plan was to split the two movies this way, with the Dwarves' quest being the focus of the first and the White council being the second. However that idea was abandoned in favor of intertwining the two stories because they are happening at the same time.

So maybe they are entertaining thoughts of that again.

But Weenie, that's different than making a movie about events that happened after The Hobbit and before LOTR.

I saw the trailer for this during The Dark Knight Rises. Can't wait to see it. Hopefully, it's only the one film though.

Great. And why can't it be translated to film in one go, exactly? I've read the book a few times now and it seems likely. Or are they simply opting to join the new trend of splitting a movie in half?

:ccheerlea:ccheerlea:ccheerleaSounds like a cash grab to me but I will follow PJ into any movie associated with Middle Earth. :ccheerlea

Great. And why can't it be translated to film in one go, exactly? I've read the book a few times now and it seems likely. Or are they simply opting to join the new trend of splitting a movie in half?

There's plenty there.

Recent conversation is about how they may actually make it into 3 movies...

There's plenty there.

Recent conversation is about how they may actually make it into 3 movies...
What... o_O

Dear lord. Three is definitely pushing it and is probably just an excuse to make more movies, which should never be the driving force.

:moon

"If Jackson were to keep that battle in the second film, the third movie could center on material from the “Lord of the Rings” appendixes, which have not previously been adapted for screen. (The six appendixes ran with “The Return of the King,” the final book in the trilogy, and feature backstories on many of the characters and cultures in Middle Earth.)"

I said that earlier:

So maybe they are entertaining thoughts of that again.

But Weenie, that's different than making a movie about events that happened after The Hobbit and before LOTR.

I haven't read them in ages, so are you saying that nothing in the appendixes happened during that period of time?

The Hobbit is a pretty quick read, but translating it to film will be different. The battle scenes for instance will be longer than what they seemed in the book I'm sure.

Right, and it depends on how the story is told and what he tells in the other two movies. There's a lot of possiblities.

There is material out there you "could" make a third movie out of but I'm not sure how it would all fit. I am eager to read more as this develops and would go see it because I love the material a lot.

I feel like I've been talking to myself this whole time. :lol

I haven't read them in ages, so are you saying that nothing in the appendixes happened during that period of time?

What period of time?

If you are asking about the time between the Hobbit and LOTR then no, not a hell of a lot happened.

Like I said:

...if they decide to make an entire movie out of the few things Tolkien barely mentions (literally one or two pages) that happen between the events of the Hobbit and LOTR rather than...

Included in those one or two pages (which are in outline form) are these events:

...I do think it would be cool if they included mention of the following:

1. Bard rebuilding Dale.
  2. Gollum leaves the mountains and begins his search for the 'thief' and his ring.
  3. Sauron declares himself openly in Mordor - his old stronghold rebuilt.

These things would go a long way to tying the Hobbit and LOTR together nicely, and now that I think of it I really hope they are included at the end of the second movie. However, no way there is enough there to build a whole movie out of.

:lecture

The White Council and Dol Guldur stuff did.

If you mean during the events of the Hobbit, then yes.

Again:

The only way I can see this being made into 3 movie would be to have parts one and two dealing exclusively with the text of the Hobbit and have the third be based on things from the Appendices of the LOTR - namely the story of the white council ousting Sauron (the Necromancer) from Dol Guldur, his stronghold in Mirkwood.

In fact if I remember correctly the original plan was to split the two movies this way, with the Dwarves' quest being the focus of the first and the White council being the second. However that idea was abandoned in favor of intertwining the two stories because they are happening at the same time.

If they make 3 movies I expect 1 and 2 to deal with the quest of the dwarves and 3 to deal with the white council stuff.

Right, and it depends on how the story is told and what he tells in the other two movies. There's a lot of possiblities.

Well, they're done with principle photography so it's just a matter of how they chop things up.

Back