The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Official "The Hobbit" movie thread

You just said yourself you were uninformed. The best course of action for you would be to buy a copy of The Hobbit and just read it. Tolkien wrote The Hobbit before writing LOTR. It's essentially Bilbo's story of how he found the ring, among other things.

But reading may hurt his brain. It may cause side effects like growing an informed opinion without relying on the input of others. :monkey2

I just reread the Hobbit for the nth time and it is a very adult story told with a much more childish tone than LOTR.

Basically you have three teirs of writing style with Tolkien:

The Hobbit (compelling story, accessible and easy to read)
LOTR (compellingly epic story with more complex writing style but easy enough to follow if you don't get distracted)
The Silmarilion (fantastic tome and bible-like in it's epicness but reads like chewing 4 truck tires and trying to pass them in an outhouse).

:D

@pixletwin: Thanks for the info. Finally a useful post.

Last edited by a moderator:

My 12yr old son is working his way through The Hobbit now. He's up to Flies and Spiders. Having a great time as he playing Skyrim these days too.

I haven't informed myself about the Hobbit yet.
So will this be a movie like LOTR or for children.
Because the dwarfes look really stupid like the whole Narnia crap.

If it's any consolation, The Hobbit is what got me hooked into LOTR. So, it's completely up to PJ to do this justice. He's done it previously with LOTR, but time will tell if he does The Hobbit the same justice.

I won't go down the path that PJ is like some directors out there (cough, Lucas, cough) who can ruin a great thing just because they think they're in god-mode.

I don't expect the tone of these films to be all that different from the LotR trilogy, especially as PJ wrote those films a little "lighter" than the books (the characters of Gimli, Pippen, and Merry have more comical moments, for example). Different protagonists will naturally make these two films more lighthearted (the Dwarves are naturally more comical, while Bilbo's state-of-mind is not as grim as Frodo's was). Overall, I think continuity with the trilogy is what they're aiming for.

Basically you have three teirs of writing style with Tolkien:

The Hobbit (compelling story, accessible and easy to read)
LOTR (compellingly epic story with more complex writing style but easy enough to follow if you don't get distracted)
The Silmarilion (fantastic tome and bible-like in it's epicness but reads like chewing 4 truck tires and trying to pass them in an outhouse).

:D

:lol That's about right.

had to do the hobbit in school.....it seemed to go on forever

I just hope the dragon scenes are longer in the movie. The whole fighting the dragon didn't last long in the book.

I just hope the dragon scenes are longer in the movie. The whole fighting the dragon didn't last long in the book.

I'm sure they will. Its gonna be a big moment so I doubt Jackson lets it go so fast.

When I read "The Hobbit", I get a very "childrens'-book" feeling from it. Not so with LOTR. It is a much more mature read.

This makes my biggest concern is how much hate PJ might get for turning the lighthearted attitude of "The Hobbit" a little dark for the sake of staying with LOTR.

Personally, I am looking forward to it.

He might get some but I would venture to guess most will be pleased.

He won't win either way. If he made the movie lighthearted, people would then complain about that.. Probably even more.

I doubt there's anything to worry about.

There was a telephone interview with one of the writers (either Fran or Philippa) in which they stated that they were aiming for the same audience as the trilogy.

The people who will be upset that the Hobbit films will be action adventure films rather than child's fantasy will mostly be those who believed PJ and co. "butchered" the trilogy. I'm not worried.

I daresay 99% of fans of the lotr movies will be glad that Jackson takes the mature audience route.

I really dont see anyone complaining about not having any tralalalas in the valley cinematic moments!!

Nobody ever thought Hot Toys would get Star Wars, has there been even a remote hint that they might pick up The Hobbit/LOTR?

I know that I want to see PJ make The Hobbit as close to the LOTR as possible. Thankfully from what we've seen it seems to have the same feel.

Back