The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Official "The Hobbit" movie thread

Actually it should have been the other way round; Orcrist is supposed to be the little sibling of Glamdring. So from a strict interpretation of the book, Orcrist should share greater design similarities with Glamdring than with Sting.

But all three came from Gondolin. I guess I always assumed that Glamdring would be "different" because it was Turgon's, while Orcrist and Sting were "lesser" blades. Did I get the history wrong?

Both of those are fantastic Robo Dad :clap (I'm using the map version because the top of Bilbo's head gets chopped off).

A high(er)-res version in 16:9 would be nice. :pray: :monkey3 :pray:
Thanks everyone! I'll see what I can do for a higher res 16x9 version asap. What is the screen resolution of your mammoth 27 incher?

DwarvesFinal.jpg

Heigh-ho, Heigh-ho its off to the shire we go

But all three came from Gondolin. I guess I always assumed that Glamdring would be "different" because it was Turgon's, while Orcrist and Sting were "lesser" blades. Did I get the history wrong?

You might not actually be wrong robodad. Sting was indeed a lesser blade that was merely an unamed knife until Bilbo named it Sting. Whereas both Orcrist and Glamdring were extremely famous swords in middle earth so much so that when Gandalf and Thorin unsheathed them in front of the goblins, the goblins were able to recognize these two swords immediately. The goblins even had nicknames for these swords.

Now the issue for the nerds is whether or not glamdring and Orcrists are "mates"/a sword pair. If they are a pair, then this means Orcrist's design should be closer to Glamdring (in the thorn picture that has been released, Orcrist looks more like sting).

Many LOTR wiki database refer to Orcrist as the "mate" of Glamdring. But when I whisked out my Hobbit text, the strange thing is i cant find any reference to Orcrist as being a "mate". Quite peculiar.

You might not actually be wrong robodad. Sting was indeed a lesser blade that was merely an unamed knife until Bilbo named it Sting. Whereas both Orcrist and Glamdring were extremely famous swords in middle earth so much so that when Gandalf and Thorin unsheathed them in front of the goblins, the goblins were able to recognize these two swords immediately. The goblins even had nicknames for these swords.

Now the issue for the nerds is whether or not glamdring and Orcrists are "mates"/a sword pair. If they are a pair, then this means Orcrist's design should be closer to Glamdring (in the thorn picture that has been released, Orcrist looks more like sting).

Many LOTR wiki database refer to Orcrist as the "mate" of Glamdring. But when I whisked out my Hobbit text, the strange thing is i cant find any reference to Orcrist as being a "mate". Quite peculiar.

Beater and Biter.

Edit - It is a minor nitpick, I know. But Glamdring (Gandalf's sword) is supposed to glow blue like Orcrist (Thorin's). And they both came from the same makers as was mentioned, so it seems to me like they should have similar appearances. But I am good with the way the movies are.

Always bugged me that Glamdring didn't glow.

Keep in mind that Sting would be more the size of a large knife so it stands to reason that it's not as famous, or if your a goblin infamous, as Glamdring and Orcrist. Maybe it was a secondary weapon for the possessor of Glamdring?

An informed member of another forum states that the reference to Orcrist as a "mate" to Glamdring can be found in the Lord of the rings and not the hobbit.

So there you have it folks!

As the Fellowship departed Rivendell: "Gandalf bore his staff, but girt at his side was the elven-sword Glamdring, the mate of Orcrist that lay now upon the breast of Thorin under the Lonely Mountain”

Man, can't wait to see if they show us anything at SDCC. I doubt they do, but it would be pretty cool to see a poster or some more pics.

Just finished the 3rd production video on Facebook, definitely a treat to see all the dwarves in motion. I'm super-pumped now!

And that tease at the end?! Words cannot describe the joy..

Back