The Official T-800 Comparison Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why you spoiled brat! :mad:

Remember the action? Remember the danger? Remember the emotion? Remember the mission?

Those are some great pics it has to be said. They already have a sense of nostalgia about them in fact and only a few years old. I never said MMS117 couldn't take great pics though.

But the existance of a few great pics won't change how I feel now. :dunno

Those are some great pics it has to be said. They already have a sense of nostalgia about them in fact and only a few years old. I never said MMS117 couldn't take great pics though.

But the existance of a few great pics won't change how I feel now. :dunno

I don't know what I'm hearing. You've changed.

I don't know you anymore. You're breaking my heart. You're going down a path I can't follow!

In all seriousness though, you said your biggest problem with the MMS 117 is that it doesn't pose or look the way you want it to for the dioramas. I just looked through your great pics of the Pescadero set up and he looks great to me? :dunno

And it's not just the Pescadero set up making it look good either. He looks great in there. Looking up at the elevator ceiling with his shot gun, aiming at the T-1000 before he blasts his head, even just in the hall way with the light shining down on his head looking cool. It looks just like the movie, or, well, as close as a collectible action figure could. I literally don't see a single shot that makes the T-800 look off or bad and the squashed face literally disappears.

This is the figure you bought how many of!?!? Nudes, Galleria, Pescadero, Arm reveal, Cyberdyne, etc.?

I don't know what I'm hearing. You've changed.

I don't know you anymore. You're breaking my heart. You're going down a path I can't follow!

This is about Obi-wan isn't it?! *super whiny voice* You brought him here to killll mmmeee!

In all seriousness though, you said your biggest problem with the MMS 117 is that it doesn't pose or look the way you want it to for the dioramas. I just looked through your great pics of the Pescadero set up and he looks great to me? :dunno

And it's not just the Pescadero set up making it look good either. He looks great in there. Looking up at the elevator ceiling with his shot gun, aiming at the T-1000 before he blasts his head, even just in the hall way looking cool. It looks just like the movie, or, well, as close as a collectible action figure could. I literally don't see a single shot that makes the T-800 look off or bad and the squashed face literally disappears.

Thanks for the compliments about my pics but, like I said, when you're looking at the movie while taking those pics you can clearly see how things don't match up. Sure, taken in isolation by themselves they look awesome - that was certainly the least I hoped to achieve with those pics.

As to the part I've highlighted in bold - I don't agree. IMO DX10 proves it can be better. And it probably could be even better again.

IMO DX10 proves it can be better. And it probably could be even better again.

Well, yeah?

Look at any of the Batman threads. It's proof that anything "could be better". Of course the DX 10 could be better and whatever comes after that could be better and so on and so forth. I know there's going to be a day where another regular T2 T-800 pops up and outshines both of these, as long as these sort of collectibles and Hot Toys exists. This applies to the Tech Noir '84 Arnold as well.

But then where does it end, where is the line drawn? Can anyone ever be happy with what they have? Or are these figures just temporary fillers for "the next one"? It's like running a race and having an extra mile tacked on when you're about to cross the finish line. I don't want to collect that way where the prices keep getting higher, each thing I own becomes obsolete and the community just gets more and more obnoxious about every release. It ain't fun.

Well, yeah?

Look at any of the Batman threads. It's proof that anything "could be better". Of course the DX 10 could be better and whatever comes after that could be better and so on and so forth. I know there's going to be a day where another regular T2 T-800 pops up and outshines both of these, as long as these sort of collectibles and Hot Toys exists. This applies to the Tech Noir '84 Arnold as well.

But then where does it end, where is the line drawn? Can anyone ever be happy with what they have? Or are these figures just temporary fillers for "the next one"? It's like running a race and having an extra mile tacked on when you're about to cross the finish line. I don't want to collect that way where the prices keep getting higher, each thing I own becomes obsolete and the community just gets more and more obnoxious about every release. It ain't fun.

OK well look, to start, you said in your previous post you couldn't see how it could be better so I responded to that. Now you're saying that 'everything could be better'. Which is it.

Where does it end? I dunno. We have no control over that. All any of us can do is offer our opinions on what we have currently. What else are we gonna do, especially in a thread called The Official T-800 Comparison Thread? :dunno

If DX10 is the last version of the clean T2 T-800 we get from HT....OK. Thats that and so be it.

I dunno. I just don't know.

It's like nothing in this hobby is stable anymore and everything changes on a whim, from prices to opinions. This is great, now it's not, best figure, not anymore. I have a tendency to look back at old discussions in threads, sometimes months, sometimes years apart and it's amazing to see the discrepancy and contradictions from everyone's thoughts as time and releases progress. It begs to question, is anything really good? If my perception changes with in a few short years, or in some cases, less than a year, is anything I have worth owning?

****ing toys. I'm not even sure what's good anymore. Maybe it's time to book.

Unfortunately I don't have the figure yet. I just know theres no way barrell-bodied, toadfaced MMS117 can be more accurate than DX10. Any comparison to the film shows how off that figure is much as it impressed when it first came out.

DiFabio, in fairness to you - rereading it, I can see in this post of mine where you might call it 'harsh' or even obnoxious - the word you more recently used.

The tone is very unapologetic, the choice of words pretty derogatory. While technically speaking I didn't say anything there that I haven't said before, since long before we ever knew DX10 was coming, I get how I sounded like a spoiled brat determined to just $h!t on his old toys and look to the new. Thats not at all how I actually want to come across. In that post I chose to just use those shorter descriptors rather than go into detail yet again about my issues with 117 and it had a consequence I would not have desired.

Last edited:
I don't see how the MMS can compliment the DX figures. It's such a completely different sculpt of the same nearly expressionless character, it would look weird wouldn't it? You'd have a Galleria version then suddenly his face is structurally changed for the Cyberdyne/Steel Mill versions. Not to mention the different colours which could get even worse if HT changes the paint/material back to the old way when the DX13 is produced. Then we'll have the MMS and DX13 similar in paint but radically different in sculpt and the DX10 would have the same sculpt as the DX13 but radically different in paint.

God, a person can go crazy thinking about this.:lol

DiFabio, in fairness to you - rereading it, I can see in this post of mine where you might call it 'harsh' or even obnoxious - the word you more recently used.

The tone is very unapologetic, the choice of words pretty derogatory. While technically speaking I didn't say anything there that I haven't said before, since long before we ever knew DX10 was coming, I get how I sounded like a spoiled brat determined to just $h!t on his old toys and look to the new. Thats not at all how I actually want to come across. In that post I chose to just use those shorter descriptors rather than go into detail yet again about my issues with 117 and it had a consequence I would not have desired.

When I posted obnoxious, I wasn't even referring to you, seriously! :lol Remember, I also mentioned the DC comics/Batman threads which is most certainly obnoxious. That's all.

And that spoiled brat thing was just in jest. We have a similar sense of humor, as well as opinions and posting style (I think), so I assumed that you "got it". You're not spoiled unless of course someone else is funding your figures.

But it is kind of harsh I guess. I pretty much have the same criticisms for the figure you do, I have since day 1, but then when I really start to think about it, I can find faults, major and not so major, with nearly every figure I own. I just guess the tone of late is (not talking about you specifically is), "meh, MM117 sucks, it's crap **** that figure" or the lolz that's made about it's shortcomings in comparison to what else is out there. It's sort of disheartening.

It just feels like any "remakes" or new versions of previously released figures get **** on and most of them were the cream of the crop, the best of the best. I mean, seriously, from some posts you'd think that the MMS 117 was the Sideshow Terminator from all those years ago.

8303_press01-001.jpg

8303_press04-001.jpg

It's like nothing in this hobby is stable anymore and everything changes on a whim, from prices to opinions. This is great, now it's not, best figure, not anymore. I have a tendency to look back at old discussions in threads, sometimes months, sometimes years apart and it's amazing to see the discrepancy and contradictions from everyone's thoughts as time and releases progress. It begs to question, is anything really good? If my perception changes with in a few short years, or in some cases, less than a year, is anything I have worth owning?

Things are really good for that snapshot of time when they are released. Until something better comes along, in which case you simply sell your old, and buy the new...if you think the new is better. If someone could just do a comparison of just three pics:

A. One pic of an actual portrait of Arnolds face in the movie
B. One portrait pic of the MMS117 to match the pic in "A".
C. One portrait pic of the DX10 to match the pic in "A".

Then, we'll be able to put this whole argument to rest.

Yeah I noticed you were viewing the MMS117 thread before this post.

You sound pretty frustrated with the hobby. I'm having my own frustrations with it too, maybe a little different. Circumstances are forcing me to re-evaluate things, to write off stuff I till recently considered absolute must-haves and coming to terms with that - y'know, first world problems. :rolleyes2

The only certainty I feel is that I definitely want to continue buying the Terminator stuff. Everything else I have in my collection right now is something I'm looking at and wondering about - yes right now I look at it, see how cool it is and I think I must keep that....but should I. Because as long as I have that thats the door still open on all this other stuff stretching years into the future. Do I want to or is it going to be possible for me to still be buying this stuff at that point? Am I just wasting my time and money because I'm destined to have to sell it all anyway when the first child comes along? etc etc.

Well, yeah?

I think we've reached the point in 1/6 where the sculpts, paint and tailoring are at a level of realism that will make future relases, if they are better, it'll only be incrementally so. There's been a lot of comparisons between the DX 10 and the original MMS 117 version, and while I do think the DX 10 is an improvement, it's certainly not a quantam leap like the first wave of HT MMS figures to what we have now. I don't have the MMS 117, but if I did, I don't know that I would be fussed with upgrading, especially if I'd already bought the extra gear to kit him out in the Cyberdyne look.

When I posted obnoxious, I wasn't even referring to you, seriously! :lol Remember, I also mentioned the DC comics/Batman threads which is most certainly obnoxious. That's all.

And that spoiled brat thing was just in jest. We have a similar sense of humor, as well as opinions and posting style (I think), so I assumed that you "got it". You're not spoiled unless of course someone else is funding your figures.

But it is kind of harsh I guess. I pretty much have the same criticisms for the figure you do, I have since day 1, but then when I really start to think about it, I can find faults, major and not so major, with nearly every figure I own. I just guess the tone of late is (not talking about you specifically is), "meh, MM117 sucks, it's crap **** that figure" or the lolz that's made about it's shortcomings in comparison to what else is out there. It's sort of disheartening.

It just feels like any "remakes" or new versions of previously released figures get **** on and most of them were the cream of the crop, the best of the best. I mean, seriously, from some posts you'd think that the MMS 117 was the Sideshow Terminator from all those years ago

No no its fine and fair enough. Sometimes we're all in moods where our posts aren't the most considered and can make us look a certain way. That was one for me. A lot of my posts are typed while I'm in work of all places and you kind of just want to get it down as fast as possible knowing you're going to be interrupted at any moment by nuisance people expecting you to actually do work. :cuckoo:

That feeling of being disheartened - *Morpheus voice* I know...exactly what you mean.

I remember feeling it in the Joker threads when the custom VS stock debates were at their most vicious. There appeared to be so many people saying that the stock figure, what I had, although so highly praised it seemed not that long ago, was suddenly a POS. It bothered me at the time, not really now - because of the passage of all the time since maybe. Also because I happen to disagree that the jump in likeness between a Bobby C or Adam headsculpt over a HT one was worth hundreds upon hundreds of price difference. Likewise the Kato clothes. Better yes, but not $1000 better. It was never possible to genuinely be $1000 better.

Last edited:
Yeah I noticed you were viewing the MMS117 thread before this post.

You sound pretty frustrated with the hobby. I'm having my own frustrations with it too, maybe a little different. Circumstances are forcing me to re-evaluate things, to write off stuff I till recently considered absolute must-haves and coming to terms with that - y'know, first world problems. :rolleyes2

The only certainty I feel is that I definitely want to continue buying the Terminator stuff. Everything else I have in my collection right now is something I'm looking at and wondering about - yes right now I look at it, see how cool it is and I think I must keep that....but should I. Because as long as I have that thats the door still open on all this other stuff stretching years into the future. Do I want to or is it going to be possible for me to still be buying this stuff at that point? Am I just wasting my time and money because I'm destined to have to sell it all anyway when the first child comes along? etc etc.

Yeah.

Instead of sticking with one thing though, I'm not even sure I'd do that. I hate picking favorites. I've had thoughts of getting rid of it all, even my most cherished and loved characters like Terminator and Batman, even my previously most desired must haves. I mean I've gotten my "OH MAN I REALLY WANTED THAT *insert grail character here*". I got the Battle Damaged T-800 now, I got the 1984 punk T-800, the Keaton Batman, Reeve Superman and Nicholson Joker.

I think the process of cleaning everything out would be therapeutic.

But then I'd be without a hobby (well a main hobby), so I dunno. This stuff ties into my childhood. I do know this. Collecting isn't as fun as it used to be. Now it seems like a bit of a chore.

I think we've reached the point in 1/6 where the sculpts, paint and tailoring are at a level of realism that will make future relases, if they are better, it'll only be incrementally so. There's been a lot of comparisons between the DX 10 and the original MMS 117 version, and while I do think the DX 10 is an improvement, it's certainly not a quantam leap like the first wave of HT MMS figures to what we have now. I don't have the MMS 117, but if I did, I don't know that I would be fussed with upgrading, especially if I'd already bought the extra gear to kit him out in the Cyberdyne look.

I'm trying to find the post in the MMS thread but I remember commenting on the MMS 117 and how good it was but having some issues with the sculpt upon seeing the specs/pics.

Then I remember suggesting a DX release (I think it was Cyberdyne :lol) and being scolded for including a "new regular undamaged headsculpt" in the fictional specs list.

I think the process of cleaning everything out would be therapeutic.

Perhaps, but that would only come, if it comes at all, after the pain and doubt as you take your FS pictures and box that Keaton Batman up. :gah:

I just don't think I can do that, I don't have the strength. It was hard enough listing some of the things I've got listed.

I've considered keeping just Reeve Superman and Keaton Batman but then immediately I think ''if you're gonna keep them you also need to keep Spiderman and Wolverine''...."and how iconic is Nicholson Joker, gotta keep that"...."and the modern equivalent, Ledger Joker is a must"....."Ooop, don't think I can have a modern Joker without a modern Batman, keeping that Bale"....."Y'know if they're ever going to make John McClane I will have to buy him, so y'know I might aswell keep that TV action hero Jack Bauer, they'd look good together''....."and since thats a varied group of movie genres how about the war movie genre - gotta keep Sgt. Barnes from Platoon then. And get Elias if he gets made"...."Gangster genre? Gotta get that Blitzway Carlito Brigante figure"..... and on and on and on and on.......***king collector mentality :banghead

Last edited:
Things are really good for that snapshot of time when they are released. Until something better comes along, in which case you simply sell your old, and buy the new...if you think the new is better. If someone could just do a comparison of just three pics:

Then, we'll be able to put this whole argument to rest.

It won't put the argument to rest. Post Arnold next to the MMS and DX and it will still be as divided as ever.

It won't put the argument to rest. Post Arnold next to the MMS and DX and it will still be as divided as ever.

True, let me rephrase:

... If someone could just do a comparison of just three pics:

Then, hopefully, we'll be able to come to a closer conclusion...if at all possible

Oh man, I'm glad I didn't buy Barnes and Chris Taylor. I doubt Elias ever happens. That was the only way I was in, if I could get that Platoon trinity of the three of them. In the back of my mind though, I knew it'd be Watchmen all over again.

Then again, these toy companies are unpredictable and their communication sucks. Elias could be out tomorrow for all we know.

But yeah, the collector mentality sucks.

Speaking of predictability, I found those posts about the MMS 117 and future releases,

May of 2010,

I don't know. I'm somewhere in the middle on this one. I'm a huge Terminator and Hot Toys fan, so naturally ANY Hot Toys Terminator combination is a must for me. I WILL be getting this guy.

However, with that said, I still think something is a bit off on this one so I understand the criticisms I'm seeing. I can't put my finger on it. Without the sunglasses the portrait around the eyes, cheekbone and mouth look strange. Too many wrinkles, lines, glossed texture or something. I've seen members here claim that it looks too old, to me it looks a bit rough. I don't know like Yuli and Hot Toys were more determined with the sculpt looking more life like than an actual portrait of Arnold himself. Haha, here I am complaining that a toy looks TOO real.

Arnold is there all right, there's no doubt about that but from what I've seen in pics and videos it could be a little bit better. I'm not going to lie either, I HATE the neck joint on this one. I really wish it was just a solid head sculpted to the neck post instead of two separate pieces. Yeah, it limits range of motion but it looks much better in my opinion. From the shirt collar to the head it's just off slightly.

It's also worth noting that I have NO idea what this guy is like in hand. I thought the pictures from other collectors of Harvey Dent, Two-Face and the Cop Joker looked HORRID. Like a really weird flesh tone and a really crappy soft sculpt (the opposite of this hard, rigid sculpt on the T-800 here). But once I had the three of them in hand they were absolutely perfect and on par with everything I owned.

So needless to say I'm very excited to finally get this amazing figure in the coming weeks. I highly doubt it will be the best Hot Toys figure yet (come on guys, we say that about every LATEST figure) but I do think it will be one of their best. Between NECA and Hot Toys these are the Terminator figures I've always wanted.

Bring on the T-1000 and 1984 T-800 I say!

I have trouble using the term "best" for anything. Like I said I'll probably feel very passionate about the figure once I own it and probably rank it above the rest, but it's a spur of the moment kinda thing. A hype situation.

Like I said in my previous post, there's no doubt in my mind that this is one of the best, but surpassing MMS DX Joker and some of HT other work? Can't do it. Like with the films, each figure has it's own unique feeling of nostalgia and quality that the other does not have.

Like when the inevitable T-1000 and Battle Damaged T-800 come out, are we going to be like, "oh that old MMS 117 was a thing of the past! These new ones are much better." That's one of the reasons I have a hard time understanding people that are eager to sell an "inferior" or "obsolete" figure when a better one comes out.

I fully expect atleast two more versions of this T-800. I think a battle damaged version is a given either as a regular MMS figure or an MMS DX version. But I don't see them stopping there, I can definitely see them putting out a T-800 V2 with the same accessories and some new ones like the minigun, ammo bandolier, gloved hands and alternate head.

This is a brand new license for them and we just got a glimpse of an obscure exclusive Sarah Connor variation. Judging by Hot Toys past figures (Batman, Joker, Predator, Alien, Rambo) I'd be surprised if T-1000 and the T-800 didn't have multiple releases.

I fully expect atleast 2 more Arnold T-800 figures before this line ends. Final Battle/Battle Damaged definitely, Cyberdyne/Other variations probably.

Really, because I'm thinking the opposite. I don't think it would be impossible for Hot Toys to improve the MMS 117 head. They've done that in the past with tons of figures. We also have to take into account the possibility of including multiple heads. I wouldn't put it past Hot Toys producing either two more MMS figures or one MMS DX figure to finish off all the different looks of this T-800, a brand new clean head, a semi battle damaged portrait and the final stage head with the fully exposed endo included. Three more heads, three variations of clothing.

I'm prepared either way. Most of the parts for the MMS 117 are cheap. I plan on buying the sunglasses, rose box, black shirt, model 1887 Shotgun, pistol and hands very soon. That way if they do indeed make another "clean" version except a Cyberdyne variation I'll have all the parts to make the definitive Uncle Bob from the events prior to the second act.

If Hot Toys doesn't (which again, I doubt) I'll take the loss and buy the MMS 117 on ebay.

Well, that's the reason I decided to pass on MMS 117. I really don't see Hot Toys passing up the chance to milk the T-800. There's no doubt in my mind that we'll see another "clean" T-800. If it happens people will get pissed but I guarantee they buy it anyway.

Yeah and that could be the shotgun, ungloved hands and shotgun. Only time will tell.

Speaking of Sarah Connor, I wonder if Hot Toys would make a Pescadero Escape Sarah Connor, bare foot and all. Maybe throw in that denim jacket she jacks at the garage too.

Or who knows, if they're afraid that that version of Sarah and John Connor wouldn't sell, maybe an exclusive and/or expensive limited 2 pack.

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2529839&postcount=4861

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2560617&postcount=5821

Funny, my gut told me almost three years ago that there would be another regular head sculpt in the future. I even said I'd wait and see and kept going back and forth. Yet, I still pulled the trigger. I'm a sucker. :lol

No regrets though because the MMS 117 was/is better in person. I'm glad I didn't wait and pay the secondary market prices. Though I do regret getting a second one just to have two different options. It didn't look or turn out as well as the first.

Back