The Official Rocketeer Appreciation Thread.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Premium Format Rocketeer

I was just reading some of the comments that since this isn't really a big main stream character and its pretty expensive I just figured a low ES but we'll see. Guessing the ES has become part of the fun.

Indeed, I was just thinking a whole lot of Dealers and Toy Stores picked this up too because it's such a great display piece, but then again MOST will display it with the helmet as the iconic pose. Maybe there was also a cadre of Chickadees like Dusty who wanted it.

Notice I said "Chickadees" as a nod to WC Fields, who appeared in the Film in the Night Club Scene with Jennifer and Tim. :D

Last edited:

I'd REALLY like to see the left hand be able to hold the helmet separately. That would be an awesome display when showing the Campbell head.

I'd REALLY like to see the left hand be able to hold the helmet separately. That would be an awesome display when showing the Campbell head.

I agree, that'd be WAY better that the 'Thumbs-Up' pose of the left hand... :angelsmil

That said, it's not make or break for me, I really dig it as is for the most part...but that tweak would be REALLY awesome! :D

i really like the Statue :rock but I do not know the Movie... need to watch them next time

I agree, that'd be WAY better that the 'Thumbs-Up' pose of the left hand... :angelsmil

That said, it's not make or break for me, I really dig it as is for the most part...but that tweak would be REALLY awesome! :D

Where are you guys getting the thumbs up thing from? Hes about to click the power on to the rocket pack... Have you guys not seen the movie?

Where are you guys getting the thumbs up thing from? Hes about to click the power on to the rocket pack... Have you guys not seen the movie?

:lecture :lecture Some Freaks have homework this weekend. :naughty

I sat in front of the TV last night, laptop in hand, logged into the Sideshow newsletter, hitting F5 every couple of minutes, because I was so excited to get this item and knew I'd want the exclusive. I am glad the ES was big enough for me to get one, although it didn't sell out til, what, sometime this morning? Good for everyone who got one. And I LOVE it, every bit of it! :banana

I'm going to say the ES will be 375, just to pick something different from all the other guessers, but I have a feeling this could be as high as
750. I've always wondered why this info isn't posted immediately upon the item going up for sale. :monkey3

Anybody know why an ES is sometimes kept secret for a while, even when an item is "sold out"? What's the issue? :confused:

I sat in front of the TV last night, laptop in hand, logged into the Sideshow newsletter, hitting F5 every couple of minutes, because I was so excited to get this item and knew I'd want the exclusive. I am glad the ES was big enough for me to get one, although it didn't sell out til, what, sometime this morning? Good for everyone who got one. And I LOVE it, every bit of it! :banana

I'm going to say the ES will be 375, just to pick something different from all the other guessers, but I have a feeling this could be as high as
750. I've always wondered why this info isn't posted immediately upon the item going up for sale. :monkey3

Anybody know why an ES is sometimes kept secret for a while, even when an item is "sold out"? What's the issue? :confused:

It won't be 750. With the recent economy, and with the larger more popular characters that SideShow have released RECENTLY to date, have all come with low ES. Even companies like Weta have scaled way down. That, and they have a better understanding of the market, supply that meets the demand. Just have to check out the transactions portion of this forum to see what I mean. Pisspoor economy combined with a cult character like the Rocketeer, I say 300 is a good guess.

Also, watch the movie people. It's a button trigger, thus why his thumb is positioned like that. Also, it would be silly to have him with a helmet in one hand and gun in another. He wasn't shown in the film that way, errrr, to the best of my memory. This pose and the execution make perfect sense. Stop complaining you jerks!

I hope you are correct, and probably 750 is too high or it wouldn't be sold out at this point.

This looks like a keeper to me, it appeals to me on a nostalgic level as well as a design level, as I am a huge art deco fan, and that base rocks! :D

I am amazed at the amount of folks in this thread who haven't seen this movie yet.

Stunning.

It pretty much lives on my 'currently watching' shelf.

Damn, Missed the exclusive. are you all up all night? the newsletter gets to me at like 2am lol

Just sign in to the NL on Sideshow's site. It goes up around 6:00PM Pacific nearly every week.

I hope you are correct, and probably 750 is too high or it wouldn't be sold out at this point.

This looks like a keeper to me, it appeals to me on a nostalgic level as well as a design level, as I am a huge art deco fan, and that base rocks! :D

Hey Mig. How are ya, Gal? :wave

Stunning piece indeed. Yeah, SOME of you Guys need to seriously watch the film. :lol

ES, who knows. Maybe Dusty will share that with us...

Speaking of Dusty and the head size of the Campbell Sculpt...

And, speaking as someone who studied MANY photos of Campbell as a teeny-bopper ;) :naughty :eek: - I always thought his head was a bit large for his body anyway. I think the same about Robert Downey, Jr. sometimes - his shoulders are TINY.

So excited about this PF!!!! :banana

I do have a little info on that I'd like to share...

The head, as you know, was sculpted by the imcomparable Trevor Grove. And yes, the head size is a bit big. Maybe 10-15%, although it looks just fine to me in most of the Proto Pics. The reason for this is the Sculptor sometimes ONLY has the head to work with, not having the base body to match it up scale wise. It's tough sculpting a head without the exact mannequin that would accompany the Head. Most often the Tailors get to work with the Body first to make sure the Outfit is done correctly so the Poor Sculptor has to do some guesswork. Anyway, I believe that is the story here, as some Freaks have astutely pointed out. Maybe SSC can shrink the head a bit, there are ways and materials available to do this, but as Dusty says, Bill DID have a big Noggin anyway...

Cheers :duff

Last edited:

I had the chance to meet and talk with Dave Stevens just when The Rocketeer began its first published run with Pacific Comics. He was a really nice guy, very down to earth and friendly. It is too bad he did not get a chance to see this PF before passing away.

:lecture :lecture Some Freaks have homework this weekend. :naughty

QFT! I'm one of the few who has not seen this film but I youtubed the main theme and listened to it while I looked over pics and I got goose bumps. Even without the film and just listening to the score the PF seemed to capture the spirit of Horner's Music. It's the same feeling I get when I ride DCA's soarin over California.

So glad I jumped on this piece!

Hey pjam! How's it shakin'? :dance

I think his head actually looks fine. I'm not seeing the 'big head', but I would agree that for those who think the head's too big, it could definitely be the hair that's making it look that way.

I'm not overly concerned about the ES, but I admit to being oddly curious about it, as I am with any as yet undisclosed ES of an item I've purchased. Just a quirk of mine, I guess. :D

Huge fan here. I've got all the old Pacific Comics, the Comico comics... Even when he began as a backup story in Starslayer. I'm looking forward to displaying it along my MR helmet.

Back