The official "Blu-Ray is not as good as DVD" Thread.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like them both, but obviously if I had a choice I;d get the movie on Blu. I just have to deal cause of my 1,000 DVDs that I do not wish to replace...

Does anyone really argue that DVD is better?

I still have a lot of DVDs, but new stuff will be bought on BluRay and I'll probably swap out a few choice films, but most of them I'll just keep on DVD since the PS3 is upscaling.

People may think DVD is better because:

More titles available
Cheaper movies
Cheaper Players
quality "almost as good as Blu-Ray"
Cheap burners
Already have hardware in their computer

Or a million different reasons. Quality of the picture or disk space arn't the only factors is someones decision.

I guess this same discussion could be had during the switch from VHS to DVD then .....
Obviously the quality gap is smaller, but all the others apply ...

I guess this same discussion could be had during the switch from VHS to DVD then .....
Obviously the quality gap is smaller, but all the others apply ...

Indeed, as with most new technology there are always pros and cons. They can be very different from person to person.

I like DVD better the Blu Ray. Its just not worth it to me. Is it better then DVD? Yeah...kinda...but do I want to buy them? No...

I guess for me the main thing is the higher resolution. I do a bunch of 3D animation work so to get references it's great to have the movie in high-definition so I can get large screencaps.

i hate Blu-ray but i dont deny that they are better than DVD's. it is just funny how they think everybody wants to rebuy all their favorite movies every few years when a new format comes out. i'm never gonna own Blu-ray until you absolutely cannot buy anymore DVD's, which sadly enough, is probably gonna be soon.

words of a poor man. :lol

I've got a Sony HDMI DVD player and I love it. It upconverts the standard to 1080P or 1080I, can't remember which. The quality of the picture is absolutely amazing compared to standard DVD players.

I had this same player, the NS700H, but ended up returning it because of a problem with the progressive mode. Instead, I picked up the Pioneer 410V, the #1 rated player in Consumer Reports and it's on par with the Oppo 980, but at half the price. A wonderful player that does practically everything, including playing DiVX and has a USB port. Certain DVD's simply look exceptional and very close to their HD counterparts.

As of right now, DVD is the better more reliable format. Of that, there is no denying. Technically, Blu-Ray is superior, but they have yet to get all of the bugs worked out of the system and bring prices down. Until then, it's destined for a small market among home entertainment. When $5 Blu-Ray's start showing up on Wal-Mart's $5 shelves, then the format will be here to stay.

There are a lot of movies that I've seen on Blu-Ray that I just laugh at the idea of paying the high price for. Basically any chickflick or standard comedy. I just don't see the point in that. Oh, "Analyse This" on Blu-Ray...I just long to see Billy Crystal in high definition. LOL.

For 90% of movies I just don't see the point. For stuff like Star Wars, LOTR, Harry Potter, etc, yeah gimme Blu-Ray everything else pass.

Then again, I don't buy many movies since NetFlix.

Every time I watch a DVD my eyes water and it’s not because I get all emotional it’s because the picture hurts my eyes...lol.

The cure. Pop a BD into either of my PS3's or Panny and hey presto eye soreness gone.

Honestly after a year of blue-ray and HD tv channels I have a hard time just watching a dvd even upscaled and I don't even want to turn on a tv channel unless it's in HD, you just get spolied.

I can understand the money issue though, I've got over 1300 DVD's and about 75 blue rays so far and I'd be hard pressed to replace all those DVD's with the current pricing, but blue-ray's will come down in price and I will slowly replace movies that really deserve the upgrade but I can't see replacing say a copy of Caddyshack on DVD for a blue-ray, just not worth it currently.

I know a lot is said about the upgrade in picture quality but for those who also have spent a lot of money on speakers, reciever's , sub's and amp's blue-ray makes a huge difference in soundtrack options as well.

Evan

Honestly after a year of blue-ray and HD tv channels I have a hard time just watching a dvd even upscaled and I don't even want to turn on a tv channel unless it's in HD, you just get spolied.

I can understand the money issue though, I've got over 1300 DVD's and about 75 blue rays so far and I'd be hard pressed to replace all those DVD's with the current pricing, but blue-ray's will come down in price and I will slowly replace movies that really deserve the upgrade but I can't see replacing say a copy of Caddyshack on DVD for a blue-ray, just not worth it currently.

I know a lot is said about the upgrade in picture quality but for those who also have spent a lot of money on speakers, reciever's , sub's and amp's blue-ray makes a huge difference in soundtrack options as well.

Evan

I have alot of DVDs that I would never replace with BR. Mostly comedies or TV shows.

Why are people obsessed with the idea of "having" to upgrade all their DVDs. You are missing out on a great piece of technology. You shouldn't have to upgrade all your DVDs. Just buy newly released films on BD and replace your favourite movies. I have over 1000 DVDs and have no plans on replacing them all. With all the new releases at the moment its costing enough.

It all comes down to money, like everything else in this world. And I've made the decision that Blu-Ray simply isn't worth the money I would have to spend to have it. Eight/Ten years ago I would have been all over it because I always had to have the latest and greatest, but that was before living expenses kicked in and I had to grow up some. My one hobby of collecting is all I can afford - I can't go out and buy a new TV, a Blu-Ray player or Blu-Ray movies on top of collecting. I would have to choose between the two and it's no choice at all because I'm satisfied with DVD. Clearer picture quality isn't worth the money I'd have to spend on it. The difference between VHS and DVD made the DVD switch worth it. The difference between DVD and Blu-Ray doesn't make it worth it.

It all comes down to money, like everything else in this world. And I've made the decision that Blu-Ray simply isn't worth the money I would have to spend to have it. Eight/Ten years ago I would have been all over it because I always had to have the latest and greatest, but that was before living expenses kicked in and I had to grow up some. My one hobby of collecting is all I can afford - I can't go out and buy a new TV, a Blu-Ray player or Blu-Ray movies on top of collecting. I would have to choose between the two and it's no choice at all because I'm satisfied with DVD. Clearer picture quality isn't worth the money I'd have to spend on it. The difference between VHS and DVD made the DVD switch worth it. The difference between DVD and Blu-Ray doesn't make it worth it.

Thats exactly how I feel too.

Back