The Menu (Disney Plus)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But, on the earlier point of a movie failing to work on two levels, I can relate to your view because of how I perceive The Babadook. That movie is supposed to be a horror film on one level and an allegory on the other, but it just doesn't work *at all* on the litaralist level. It only works as a metaphor for grief/depression/postpartum. For it to work as a horror, the "monster" would have to be literally viable as an actual real-world entity. But the ending undoes that so completely that it doesn't work on both levels.
Yeah that one was particularly bothersome for me as well because it started out *so* strongly as a conventional horror film. And to a lesser extent I felt that that was where The Menu was going both from the trailers and much of the first act. Glass Onion to its credit was much more upfront about what it was presenting right from the get go and was very consistent throughout.

You know the more I think about it the more I want to even question whether The Menu really was even intended to be satire? Social commentary no question, but I can't help but wonder if it was intended to be more of a straight horror film with a message but ended up being executed so cartoonishly in parts that people are assuming it was intentional and praising it as ingenious satire? Just googling it everything seems to list it as a straight horror/thriller, HBO Max called it out as horror (and rated R for language and graphic violence-yeah right on the latter) and so on. Just rethinking about it in the context of Glass Onion, a film that clearly knew what it wanted to be and achieved it, I'm wondering if the same doesn't hold true for The Menu.

Last edited:
I love RoboCop. A++++++

I love Starship Troopers. A++

Glass Onion was OK. Purely mindless drivel, but just dumb fun.

The Menu was OK. Also drivel but dressed up in fancy snobby restaurant terms, but also a lot of fun.

The two felt extremely similar.

I wonder if the pretentiousness in the fine dining world is reaching a tipping point, and this movie is a reflection of that. The proliferation over the last decade or so of foodies, food blogs, food vlogs, endless hours of people cooking and tasting things on youtube, everyone thinking they're such an expert and using all kinds of terms like "mouth feel" (love that the movie called that one out) has really gotten to be a bit much. Even movies like "Chef" and "Burnt" seemed to celebrate the pretension, instead of calling it out.

It's nice to see a movie that actually says "Hey...all this bull **** is ridiculous. Stop it."

Now we need one for modern art.

And high-end doll collecting.
stf.gif

I love RoboCop. A++++++

The Menu was OK. Also drivel but dressed up in fancy snobby restaurant terms, but also a lot of fun.

I wonder if the pretentiousness in the fine dining world is reaching a tipping point, and this movie is a reflection of that. The proliferation over the last decade or so of foodies, food blogs, food vlogs, endless hours of people cooking and tasting things on youtube, everyone thinking they're such an expert and using all kinds of terms like "mouth feel" (love that the movie called that one out) has really gotten to be a bit much. Even movies like "Chef" and "Burnt" seemed to celebrate the pretension, instead of calling it out.

It's nice to see a movie that actually says "Hey...all this bull **** is ridiculous. Stop it."

agree on much of this

I love RoboCop. A++++++

Velvet Buzzsaw did it, but it was a crappy flick. I preferred Tom Ford's take on Nocturnal Animals though that was one of the themes and not the core.

4100_D013_01734a_R4_CROP_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqqv0Fju-aeb1W9_3jsknJjWf2_Bgj-XhaIURFoBYC2gU.jpg

Anyone else watched this? Thought it was a decently fun watch for an otherwise boring evening.

Great cast, some funny and weird WTF moments.
Didn't finish it. It's always a hard watch when there are no interesting or sympathetic characters to root for. Also, I found the plot to be really silly.

It's actually a surprisingly quotable movie. My second time through I let my two teenagers watch it and they loved it. Then of course for our very next meal I told them not to eat but to relish, savor, taste, lol. Then while they were still at the table I got up to get something from the kitchen and couldn't resist saying "now for dessert I present to you...the mess" which cracked us all up (yes we can be a sick bunch, lol.)

Back