The Many Saints of Newark (The Sopranos prequel film)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you get a lot of fan service sure but nothing of substance, this didn't need to be made.

Yeah. Pretty much just places all your favorite characters in time within a story that has nothing to do with them.

You do not walk away with a greater understanding of the Sopranos nor Tony.

Yeah. Pretty much just places all your favorite characters in time within a story that has nothing to do with them.

You do not walk away with a greater understanding of the Sopranos nor Tony.

After reading the comment below, all the comments here become less surprising and make sense.

"I was against [the movie] for a long time and I'm still very worried about it, but I became interested in Newark, where my parents came from, and where the riots took place ... I was living in suburban New Jersey at the time that happened, and my girlfriend was working in downtown Newark. I was just interested in the whole Newark riot thing. I started thinking about those events and organized crime, and I just got interested in mixing those two elements."

—David Chase in 2019, writer and producer of The Many Saints of Newark[7]

Hey, at least they made sure to capitalise Black in every sentence in the subtitles, always use whitey (all lowercase; don't get any ideas cracker), always refer to Italians as dagos, guineas and every other slur, but "true to life", the Italian Mob always referred to the Black Mob as just "coloureds". I mean, with real life accuracy like that, who cares about plotting and pacing? I, for one, think that the addition of a cuckoldry subplot and Black Poetry was powerful. Hell, Carmella gets one line! John Bernthal (as Tony's dad) and Corey Stroll (as Uncle Jun) get, what, I think 5 whole scenes? And boy, don't get me started on all the development like... that and, you know... that other thing. What more can you ask for? The final scene having literally nothing to do with any of the Sopranos characters was brave and stunning.

BRAVO CHASE!

But seriously, if he just wanted to make a flick about the Newark Race Riots, he should've done that and left the Sopranos out of it. This is HBO Watchmen all over again. Something entirely different dressed up in an existing IP's "clothes" for marketing purposes.

Posted By My iPhone In Hell... But That Comes Much Later

Last edited:
Who was this movie supposed to be about? Just went from scene to scene with no real purpose or connection between the two. What was the point of the riots in this? What was the point of the small "credits" scene? This should have been set over the course of several episodes and not crammed into one movie. Almost like they tried to go for fan service and setting up a sequel.

Because that's what it was. Chase wanted to do his Newark flick, the studios pressured him to add the Sopranos name for brand recognition and we got this nonsense.

I wanted to see a Sopranos prequel and apparently this ain't it. Too bad. I'll wait for Ghostbusters.

Who was this movie supposed to be about?
It was first billed as a story about Dickie, then the news of it being based around the Newark Riots broke out, and it was obvious it was going to be about that. The problem is, it was advertised as an "Origin Story" for Tony, how he got in the Mafia, his realtionship with Cristopha's dad, all that jazz. None of which was actually in it. They wasted Stroll & Bernthal as well. They should be ashamed that they put such a trashfire out.

Just went from scene to scene with no real purpose or connection between the two.
That's because the Sopranos name was just used as the vehicle to sell the other part.

What was the point of the riots in this?
Same as the Tulsa one in Wokemen.

What was the point of the small "credits" scene?
The age of whitey is finished (Sopranos is over and done with) and the Black King (capitalised, as it should be) is taking his spot in the new era. That scene closes the film instead of the one with Tony, as Harold is now the homeowner tipping whitey carrying his stuff.

This should have been set over the course of several episodes and not crammed into one movie. Almost like they tried to go for fan service and setting up a sequel.
No thanks, I wouldn't want to waste more time on such trash. There was 0 fan-service in this, more like fan-kick-in-the-nuts.

I wanted to see a Sopranos prequel and apparently this ain't it. Too bad. I'll wait for Ghostbusters.
This is nothing. It's not a Sopranos prequel, neither in spirit nor in narrative, and it's also not a proper film about the Newark Riots. I have no desire to watch the latter, but if it didn't have to ride on the coattails of the Sopranos and ruin its story, it'd have at least been its own movie.

You know what this reminded of? Subirbicon. This is just like Subirbicon. Same mashup that doesn't work, same politics, same false advertising, same everything.

The guy playing Christopher's father looks kind of bland for some reason. Odd choice for a protagonist.
I didn't mind him. I actually liked the Dickie parts. The problem is that there barely were any. They tried another "supernatural" element with Liotta's 2nd character, but it wasn't anywhere near the level of Kevin Finnerty or the Bling Madonna. Livia had a bigger arc than Jun and Johnny Boy. This movie was just an insult, period. I'll even go far enough to say that at least Wokemen had a great production value and did the costumes, even if everything else sucked. This was just amateur hour, narrative and false advertising be damned. 2hrs and I can't tell you anything that was covered.

He was on Josh Horowitz's Happy Sad Confused podcast recently and slid back into the voice for a minute. It was hilarious.

Speaking of which, where's my Archer and Troy figures? Those would be amazing 👏

🤭

Not enough Dickie.
Don't you hate it when that happens? 🤭
CURSE YOU AND YOUR APT DICK PUNS CLOWN!

giphy.gif

Pretty much what Darth K said.

If I got into the real reasons this "movie" was such a steaming pile of mushy turd, baking in the afternoon sun, I'd get banned immediately cause it's 100% political and 0% art.

Back