The Mandalorian (Star Wars Live Action Series)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[...] It's way better than Joe Russo doing his sensitive guy thing in EG.

I didn't know who Russo was when I saw it, so I just thought he was some guy. It served the story just fine. You figure after something like that a lot of people are left ****ed up.

Get on it Hot Toys!
BC96EDF7-F6E0-4432-82CC-3C3128754800.jpeg

A very minor screw up compared to this...that is if it's actually what some are suggesting
b87c620710de6ccd94f92f8f80733453.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Hey... not sure what you?re expecting. The ST is canon if you like it or not. The First Order is going to build a giant army and a planet into yet another ?Death Star? - all controlled by Snoke. They sort of need to start working on him at this point [emoji1745] I understand that you have a deep hatred towards the ST, but that doesn?t undo it. So calling linking to canon movies a screw up... well, at least you have to get used to the fact that the movies exist and always will - if you want to follow new SW content without having a stroke (or Snoke).

Hey... not sure what you?re expecting. The ST is canon if you like it or not. The First Order is going to build a giant army and a planet into yet another ?Death Star? - all controlled by Snoke. They sort of need to start working on him at this point [emoji1745] I understand that you have a deep hatred towards the ST, but that doesn?t undo it. So calling linking to canon movies a screw up... well, at least you have to get used to the fact that the movies exist and always will - if you want to follow new SW content without having a stroke (or Snoke).

I'll be closely watching. If they go down this idiotic path I'll just call it quits and take my money with me. They will be risking over half their paying customers and an even higher percentage of the biggest spenders.

Things can be retconned btw, and Disney needs money like never before. I still think Favreau is too smart to go down this losing road. We'll see...

They’ll never retcon the ST. It’s not like a minor comic book or a novel that a few thousand people read. The movies are too big to undo. Unless they go through some elaborate, in-universe reboot with time travel and such like Days of Future Past, they’ll keep it all canon. Pretending they never happened would be a mistake with the Mandalorian long term. They don’t have to transition quickly but pretending the Empire stayed the Empire until a day before the Force Awakens would be pretty idiotic. I do hope they keep the Empire designs going as long as possible though, maybe even retconing the first order stormtroopers into phase 2 looks, not unlike the clone troopers.

Pretending they never happened would be a mistake with the Mandalorian long term.

Why? It has nothing to do with The Mandalorian. I'm not necessarily optimistic about an all out retcon(would be nice though) but ignoring the ST would be the prudent thing to do, especially from a financial standpoint. Disney is hurting badly right now and The Mandalorian is single handedly carrying it's streaming service. You think risking the show's popularity is a mistake? The mistake is continuing on with what you are suggesting.

Well, The Mandalorian takes place 5 years after Endor.

TFA takes place 30 years after Endor.

So the Imperial Remnant or a portion thereof has 25 years in which to continue to fight off and/or evade the New Republic, regroup, decamp to the Unknown Regions, revive, clone, or otherwise resurrect Emperor Palpatine, clone up a Snoke or two, kidnap several hundred thousand kids to raise as stormtroopers, train and equip a heavily armed and technologically advanced army, convert an entire planet into a star-eating hyperspace weapon of mass genocide, incite and thereafter tangle with a Resistance, all while squirreling away a giant, fully crewed fleet of Star Destroyers with Death Star-class Super Lasers mounted on them so amongst other things Palpatine can die again and be reborn inside his fetching young female descendant.

This being the same imperial army that got its ass kicked by spear-wielding dwarven teddy bears and a ragtag alliance of disgruntled citizens and lost two giant planet killing battle stations.

Got it.

So the Imperial Remnant or a portion thereof has 25 years in which to continue to fight off and/or evade the New Republic, regroup, decamp to the Unknown Regions, revive, clone, or otherwise resurrect Emperor Palpatine, clone up a Snoke or two, kidnap several hundred thousand kids to raise as stormtroopers, train and equip a heavily armed and technologically advanced army, convert an entire planet into a star-eating hyperspace weapon of mass genocide, incite and thereafter tangle with a Resistance, all while squirreling away a giant, fully crewed fleet of Star Destroyers with Death Star-class Super Lasers mounted on them so amongst other things Palpatine can die again and be reborn inside his fetching young female descendant.

This being the same imperial army that got its ass kicked by spear-wielding dwarven teddy bears and a ragtag alliance of disgruntled citizens and lost two giant planet killing battle stations.

Got it.

A) It is still possible to retcon away or at the very least ignore the existence of the First Order garbage. Or

B) The Galaxy is huge, it could all be ignored by simply focusing on other regions and plots like Mandalore, etc. The ST need not be explained/supported by this show. If they use The Mandalorian extensively for this purpose they will lose half or more of their customer base, all over again.

Main point here i guess is priorities. What is higher priority to Disney right now, making as much money as possible at a time when the company has never been financially weaker? Or supporting the framework of a trilogy of movies that severely underperformed, damaged future franchise profitability, and alienated it's fan base?

Got it.

I disagree with the characterization of the timeline you lay out here. Even by the bizarre logic of TROS, Palpatine would've sent his spirit via a Force FedEx into a clone body right after being thrown into the pit by Vader.

That means that Palps already had a clone host ready 5 or 6 years before the start of the Mando timeline. If you take TROS as canon, Palps has already been on Exogol scheming away for 5 or 6 years.

So, for all we know, his entire Sith Fleet was already being constructed. We're just not seeing it. And there's no reason why Mando can't keep that going. Technically, I think TurdFurgusonsHat is absolutely correct that the show could go several seasons without needing to reference the ST. We're two seasons in, and I'm not even sure they've covered more than a few months of in-universe time.

And if you take the novels into account, the New Republic leadership claimed to be unaware of a credible First Order threat just *6 years* prior to TFA. Mando can stay very much free of ST connections and still be within the bounds of their established canon.

A) It is still possible to retcon away or at the very least ignore the existence of the First Order garbage.

I really don't think they'll ever retcon it. Downplay it, at best.

B) The Galaxy is huge, it could all be ignored by simply focusing on other regions and plots like Mandalore, etc. The ST need not be explained/supported by this show.

That's a valid point. There's nothing to prevent this from being a self-contained Star Wars story. That said, the entire franchise suffers from 'small galaxy' syndrome. In 1977 Tatooine was a remote world on the edge of civilization.

Now it's where pretty much everyone stops and everything happens. :slap

It's like freakin' space-Cheers.

That said, the entire franchise suffers from 'small galaxy' syndrome. In 1977 Tatooine was a remote world on the edge of civilization.

Now it's where pretty much everyone stops and everything happens. :slap

It's like freakin' space-Cheers.

;)
86de4ef44c4ead5fd557e55ad696248d.gif
bed6049ff4a072efbc6b1e9dcc62f2f7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Even I must admit that they seem to be going out of their way to include ST elements, lol. I was under the impression that Palpatine was doing all of his dark Sith clone magic (including the creation of Snoke) under the secrecy of Exegol and that the remnants of the Empire were reforming into the First Order largely *outside* the known galaxy, not just on backwater Outer Rim planets that are visited by any number of travelers who can report back to the New Republic in the Core Worlds. Other than this being about the time that the FO started snatching babies for Stormtroopers which didn't have to be addressed on this show they really had an open playing field to do their own stuff.

Who knows, maybe that's what they'll say and it'll turn out that Gideon simply wants midichlorian blood for his dark troopers. But that sure looked like Snoke, lol.

I disagree with the characterization of the timeline you lay out here. Even by the bizarre logic of TROS, Palpatine would've sent his spirit via a Force FedEx into a clone body right after being thrown into the pit by Vader.

That means that Palps already had a clone host ready 5 or 6 years before the start of the Mando timeline. If you take TROS as canon, Palps has already been on Exogol scheming away for 5 or 6 years.

So, for all we know, his entire Sith Fleet was already being constructed. We're just not seeing it.

So that gives us...30 - 35 years with presumably some prep by Palpatine well before he *cough* most unexpectedly *cough* *cough* because that never happens *cough* *cough* *cough* ... gets betrayed by his Sith apprentice.

Just not sure where he got all the manpower and resources. The raw materials are easy enough, since space is vast and they can strip-mine entire star systems, but the technological stuff and skilled labour makes me go "hmmm", especially given they were at the time busy making Death Stars, Star Destroyer fleets and terrorizing systems etc. -- and for the really fancy stuff they still went to a lot of trouble to get shooters like Galen Erso to play for their team, so I'm assuming they needed some heavy hitters on all the big-time science-y stuff.

Starkiller Bases don't just make themselves.

Just spitballin' here, because it's Star Wars you can always just say "Space is vast, we didn't see x y and z etc."

And there's no reason why Mando can't keep that going. Technically, I think TurdFurgusonsHat is absolutely correct that the show could go several seasons without needing to reference the ST. We're two seasons in, and I'm not even sure they've covered more than a few months of in-universe time.

And if you take the novels into account, the New Republic leadership claimed to be unaware of a credible First Order threat just *6 years* prior to TFA. Mando can stay very much free of ST connections and still be within the bounds of their established canon.

All fair enough. As for the New Republic, Din did say they were a joke.

Overthrowing a government is one thing, actually governing is another. The New Republic was clearly incompetent.

So that gives us...30 - 35 years with presumably some prep by Palpatine well before he *cough* most unexpectedly *cough* *cough* because that never happens *cough* *cough* *cough* ... gets betrayed by his Sith apprentice.

Just not sure where he got all the manpower and resources. The raw materials are easy enough, since space is vast and they can strip-mine entire star systems, but the technological stuff and skilled labour makes me go "hmmm", especially given they were at the time busy making Death Stars, Star Destroyer fleets and terrorizing systems etc. -- and for the really fancy stuff they still went to a lot of trouble to get shooters like Galen Erso to play for their team, so I'm assuming they needed some heavy hitters on all the big-time science-y stuff.

Just spitballin' here, because it's Star Wars you can always just say "Space is vast, we didn't see x y and z etc."

Some of it depends on how literally you want to take the one Final Order officer saying "The Emperor has conjured a fleet..." I mean he did raise his hands at the beginning of the movie and all the Star Destroyers immediately lifted out of the ground. :)

I believe the official canon answer is that the entire planet of Exegol were Sith loyalists working on the new fleet since the time of the OT. I'm okay with Palps have multiple fleets under construction. I mean if you accept a second Death Star just a few short years after the first why not, lol.

Even if he never died what would he have done once the Rebellion was crushed and Jedi were wiped out for good? Probably branched out into other galaxies. Maybe Exegol was originally intended to give him his fleet of galaxy terrorizers that would have spread out across the universe with their planet killing weapons.

:rotfl

If you're having a hard time making sense of the logistics surrounding how all of the First Order and Sith Fleet would've been built in that time frame yet remain elusive to everyone else, then try to imagine being Favreau and Filoni having to make sense of it in a coherent way while still getting to tell the gunslinger story they started.

Leaving it all a mystery, just like it would've been to the New Republic until 6 years prior to TFA is an option for the Mando creative team, imo. And most likely the more attractive option for them.

All fair enough. As for the New Republic, Din did say they were a joke.

Overthrowing a government is one thing, actually governing is another. The New Republic was clearly incompetent.

Understood. But my point is also that it'd be hard to tie the Palpatine business, and rise of the FO, into a show where they are working angles with the New Republic if their canon stories say that Leia was among the first to learn about the threat a mere 6 years prior to TFA.

They can go there if they choose, but I think it'd actually be easier to leave a "mystery" as the stand-in for an explanation to the logistics of this stuff.

[...] Even if he never died what would he have done once the Rebellion was crushed and Jedi were wiped out for good? Probably branched out into other galaxies. Maybe Exegol was originally intended to give him his fleet of galaxy terrorizers that would have spread out across the universe with their planet killing weapons.

In the EU wasn't he actually sort of an anti-hero (ha ha) for unifying the galaxy under the Empire in anticipation of the Yuzhan Vong attack or whatever?

(Guess the old man was just misunderstood. He was tough but fair!)

[...] my point is also that it'd be hard to tie the Palpatine business, and rise of the FO, into a show where they are working angles with the New Republic if their canon stories say that Leia was among the first to learn about the threat a mere 6 years prior to TFA.

They can go there if they choose, but I think it'd actually be easier to leave a "mystery" as the stand-in for an explanation to the logistics of this stuff.

Very sensible and elegant course of action.

Back