The Mandalorian (Star Wars Live Action Series)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well if they show runners start using ST elements not much we can do about it we will have to talk about it here.

IMO it's really not worth ST haters getting so worked up. The Snoke tie-in (if indeed it was) was a blink-and-you-missed-it moment that probably won't be touched upon again. In all likelihood they're going the Dark Trooper route, but they threw in the pickled deformity for fans to infer (if they wish) that the DT experiments could be a precursor to the Snoke/Palpatine cloning.

Well if they show runners start using ST elements not much we can do about it we will have to talk about it here.

Fair enough. But in my opinion, just as the B2 Super Battle Droids in the show's flashbacks are legitimately menacing and brutal doesn't change that they were poorly utilized goofy cartoon characters in the PT, foreshadowing or hinting at a nascent First Order within the Imperial Remnant, and doing it well -- doesn't bestow greatness on the poorly conceived and executed, deeply cynical Sequel Trilogy films.

That doesn't make me a "hater", if by "hater" one means the general vitriolic pile-up the Internet spawns every time something enters collective culture. It makes me discerning and critical of the entertainment Disney tries to sell me every day. Sometimes they succeed, sometimes they fail spectacularly. I don't descend into histrionics about it, but yeah -- as a fan I'm disappointed. Just because it's stamped with 'Lucasfilm' and has an opening crawl doesn't mean I give it a pass.

I *wanted* to love the ST. I was willing to overlook the blatant retread and questionable choices in TFA. I was on-board. And they **** the space bed.

IMO it's really not worth ST haters getting so worked up. The Snoke tie-in (if indeed it was) was a blink-and-you-missed-it moment that probably won't be touched upon again. In all likelihood they're going the Dark Trooper route, but they threw in the pickled deformity for fans to infer (if they wish) that the DT experiments could be a precursor to the Snoke/Palpatine cloning.

They keep making an entertaining show, I'll keep watching it. It's unlikely they'll lean *too* hard into the ST stuff due to time period and the show's concept ... if they do I'll lose interest and go be a grown-up. :lol

That's what I think. And IMO F & F troll us anyway:nana: like the egg-snarfing Baby and Boba Fett. Like Favreau has said, this isn't his first rodeo. Like they knew that an infant of Yoda's species would send everyone insane. It's still a miracle that was kept under wraps:horror - and like the last 4 episodes of this season we're better off not knowing.

I think the cheek is hilarious. Reminds me of the lines Filoni would sneak into Rebels. Like when Kanan Jarrus is fighting the 7th Sister and he tells her "I don't go for crazy...ANYMORE":lol. I was so set up when Baby approached that egg canister, all the gentle music, nose pressed against the glass - waiting for the Force miracle as he brought forth the tadpoles...:cool:

As for the show itself, I rewatched the episode and loved it even more the second time.

When Mando flies in to take out the TIEs (the sequence that Sassafrass partly spotlighted a couple pages back), that was SW heaven for me! I love the transitions; from wide-angle shots of the dogfight combatants... to close-ups of the canons... to interior shots of over-the-top cheesy reactions and celebrations. Quick tempo, great energy, and just really pure. So ****ing Star Wars! And then to cap it off with the little guy puking up his macaroons after that intense roller coaster ride was just *chef's kiss.*

This sequence was both cinematic excellence in execution and total throwback charm. It feels authentic, inspired, and is a blast to watch. I can't remember the last time I watched a SW sequence that made me feel more like I did growing up. Awesome fun!

I wish I could install an entire plasma screen wall in my house just to have that sequence played on a loop.

Appreciate this episode more on rewatches, tho TBH I got trolled:lol. Again. In a way. Was so convinced this was gonna be some fairly heavy episode meeting Ahsoka, the TENSION as Din D'jarin 1)meets a Jedi/sourcerer on this foggy mysterious planet with potentially his first fight against a light saber and 2)facing maybe leaving the Child...:crying

IMO I should expect nothing and I'll get - everything. Like that awesome aerial sequence that I replay. It's perfection:love - the absolute free-fall fearlessness:clap capped off with the Child behaving as expected after a massive sugar rush (and yeah, I've had a toddler throw up on me - smiled the whole time - guess that was fun for him:lol) Srsly the Death Trooper cockpit u can see bits of dust as the light falls - the DETAILS of this show.:love My biggest fret at the moment is wanting to see Olyphant's charismatic Marshall again.

But am happy for Carl Weathers - apparently he really wanted to direct an episode and got the feeling he was really enjoying himself. Pretty good when he only wanted to do a little with this show at first and now he's added to the legacy.:clap

Johnny Favs is trolling JYE and Khev :lol

:lol :lol :lol

The PT and the ST both consist of objectively very poor films, the ST just happens to be prettier and better acted for the most part, but it's even worse in other ways I'm tired of pointlessly itemizing.

Yep

Diehard ST fans, bless their hearts, can't or won't see it. Even the OT films have multiple problems that render them goofy and weak under close scrutiny, but they were innovative, lacked pretense and had heart.

I think they see it. Khev and Jye had issues with TFA and TLJ when they came out. I freaking hated TLJ and didnt think TFA was much better. I happened to like TROS and it helped me accept TFA more. I still dont like most of TLJ/

I think we defend it as much as we do because its usually PT fans that are the loudest complaining about the ST.

And that is where the battle begins :lol

If someone dislikes both the ST and PT they tend to stay out of it or at least are consistent with recognizing that both series of films are problematic to say the least. Thus we can usually have a middle ground.

PT fans keep talking about toy sales to prove that the films are good :lol

The Mandalorian references bad prequel films, and due to their 'canonical' (LOL) nature will no doubt continue to foreshadow (however faintly) the bad ST films. That doesn't render either of the trilogies well written and/or coherent. It so far hasn't tainted The Mandalorian and so long as they don't repeat those cinematic sins, it should be okay. This show has its share of weak episodes too. That's the nature of pulp fiction I guess, even when it's multi-million dollar pulp fiction.

Agreed.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with this..

The more I think about it the more I agree with you. I dont think this will go much farther. Not because they are afraid of the toxic hatters of the ST but because it does not tie in with the timeline as much..

Im not even sure its supposed to be snoke.. I mean it was the Emperor that created snoke.

I would like to see the creation of the first Order though.. I hope its at least planting those seeds but it could be just another failed attempt at bringing back the Empire.

The more I think about it the more I agree with you. I dont think this will go much farther. Not because they are afraid of the toxic hatters of the ST but because it does not tie in with the timeline as much..

Im not even sure its supposed to be snoke.. I mean it was the Emperor that created snoke.

I would like to see the creation of the first Order though.. I hope its at least planting those seeds but it could be just another failed attempt at bringing back the Empire.

*Shrug. Am new to the game more or less. Who didn't/doesn't luv Star Wars? It changed the world.

Agree it's fairly pointless for the show to deal a lot with the ST; both because of the timelines and it doesn't dovetail either with what Favreau's initial vision seemed to be - discussed in articles and at cons. That's it's dealing with worlds/characters we've never seen before. Tied to SW but something new.

Also it would be IMO a wasted opportunity to not do exactly that:google. What's the point of rehash when a lot of that went on in the ST anyway? So in theory it'd be the third time around for some stuff. Or more, if u count the animated series.

As for the lack of toy sales - or not - dunno:dunno. The argument's been made that kids are more into computers/video now vs. toys. Speaking for myself - don't hate the ST. There's some good stuff there. Mildly *&^%$ off that the trend of (among other things) not respecting the craft of writing/narrative contaminated the ST IMO, as well as Disney's hiring choices (haven't forgotten this is the same company that let go of a beloved chairman way back - a move that got Johnny Depp so riled up he nearly walked off POTC and even Spielberg was upset).

And I stopped at HT Rey and Kylo. At the time of TFA thought there would be a new era. Knowing what I do now, I probably wouldn't have purchased. Even with Mando - HT V1 had to ask myself what if I get burned again e.g. if S2 blows. So, yeah, at least for me, it affected sales. Instead am picking up QuiGon and HASBRO Rebels figs. Don't feel a raging need to re-watch the ST either - mostly 'coz it's unsatisfying with the IMO stupid stuff in TROS like Kylo keeling over and the 100 ft wave surfing. E.g. for me, the end didn't pay off vs. feeling rushed and over-crammed. Why am I gonna binge watch the ST when unlike the PT and even Rebels and Clone Wars, I don't feel satisfied, just annoyed:pfft:?

Hopefully Disney learned an expensive lesson. Like, hire directors who actually are fans vs. someone just doing a job. There's gonna be a lot of eyes on the Kenobi series.

*Shrug. Am new to the game more or less. Who didn't/doesn't luv Star Wars? It changed the world.[...]

A lot of people remain indifferent to it. I have to remember my own confirmation bias when thinking about this. Yeah, it's a pop-culture juggernaut but you need to be invested in said pop-culture rather than seeing it as background noise or a weekend diversion at the movies or whatever.

[...] As for the lack of toy sales - or not - dunno:dunno. The argument's been made that kids are more into computers/video now vs. toys.

I'm only speculating here, but it seems the same thing happened with PT toys that happened with comics in the 90s ... people bought them up in droves because they thought they would be valuable down the road like their predecessors. Whoops.

So for ST toys, an awareness of that and what you say above -- a more digital, less tangible landscape for entertainment, plus a lack of nostalgic collectors, a glut of FX driven blockbuster or similar entertainment drowning out SW... and poorly executed stories for the coup de grace ... may have all combined to throttle ST toy sales.

There seems to be a lot more merch for The Mandalorian but I can't prove it, although it's a given that The Brat is a spontaneous sensation more successful than anything they tried to manufacture with the ST.

Don't get me wrong, I'm aware he's also a pre-meditated product, but he's integral to a mostly well-written and resonant story. People everywhere can relate to trying to protect a baby over the increasingly convoluted SW 'lore' propped up by contrived pomp and circumstance. And because he's an alien, you can do things with his character that may be tougher to sell to a general audience had he been a regular human kid.

I'm just now reading all the Gina Carano drama and how "fans" want her off the show.

What a bunch of little bitches. They probably cry if a snowflake hits them. Geez.

I don’t get it Khev I figured all fans of SW would get super excited at Favreau and Filoni putting their own magical touch on the ST.

Yep. Imagine if those with STDS had to endure even a fraction of what OT fans had to put up with over the years. It's not like Disney went back and re-edited ROTJ to show the DS II exploding into giant sections or added a line to their precious ROTS of Palps saying "Only one has achieved this power, once we discover his secret lab on Exegol we can discover it too" or anything. But no they lose their **** when a brand new show that bridges the OT and ST puts in the smallest "blink and you missed it" references. Bunch a crybabies, lol.

I'm just now reading all the Gina Carano drama and how "fans" want her off the show.

What a bunch of little bitches. They probably cry if a snowflake hits them. Geez.

If we canceled every bigmouth actor there would be no entertainment.

I have no interest in trading one mob for another. :slap

Yep. Imagine if those with STDS had to endure even a fraction of what OT fans had to put up with over the years. It's not like Disney went back and re-edited ROTJ to show the DS II exploding into giant sections or added a line to their precious ROTS of Palps saying "Only one has achieved this power, once we discover his secret lab on Exegol we can discover it too" or anything. But no they lose their **** when a brand new show that bridges the OT and ST puts in the smallest "blink and you missed it" references. Bunch a crybabies, lol.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

I don?t get it Khev I figured all fans of SW would get super excited at Favreau and Filoni putting their own magical touch on the ST.
JYE and Khev in The Mandalorian thread except in this case their ST champagne cork hits The Child.
cfa46eab4b77e4f839bdd077867c3861.gif

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

I will say this the ship to ship battles in this season either in the air, the ground or even just with jet packs is now my favorite in all of SW.

I am just blown away by the quality.

Don't encourage Filoni to hop in an X-Wing again, lol.

Actually I like his world-weary delivery. Plus he's one of two:wink1: I feel fawning and pathetic gratitude to. IMO he can pilot any time. Waiting for Paz Vizsla to call Din D'jarin a &*%$ for taking off his helmet and Din D'jarin to go FU and rally everyone for an eye-popping end battle.:cool:

It's way better than Joe Russo doing his sensitive guy thing in EG.

I had pretty much written off any obvious ties to the ST but now that they already seem to be hinting at trying to inject midichlorian blood into human test subjects in tubes I'm starting to get giddy at the idea of some early Snoke/Zombie Palps expiriments. :D

Yep, I?m pretty sure this is Snoke in the making. I don?t think the groundwork for the first order should or could be ignored by SW between ROTJ and ST, so I?m fine with it. :)

But this is quite clearly the early days of the First Order. The Imperial woman at the end even talks about the ?new era?.

Its obvious they are trying to either create a clones vessel for Palpatines essence or its early development of Snoke.

The pilot talks about things happening in the Outer Rim that the Core Worlds wont take seriously, exactly what cause the fall of the New Republic.

Clone Wars wasnt killed by the Prequels, it enhanced those movies and made them better for many people. I dont see why the same cant be done for the Sequels.

Exactly

Back