The Lord of the Rings Polystone Statue and PF Lines are alive!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I am assumed the term "treated" was more inclusive of the total experience not your one time a year interaction with ephemeral staff at SDCC and QC emails. I admit their CS has been great. Sadly I know this because their QC has issues. But anyone not on gagaliya's page at this point in time is crazy IMO. If they release a Merry and Pippin maquette then great, no harm done. But until then, ugh.

And - nothing at all in today's newsletter!!!

Just for the record, maybe SS should consult a dictionary before giving out time-frames for possible future announcements...

soon
suːn/ 1. in or after a short time; "everyone will soon know the truth"
synonyms: in a short time, shortly, presently, in the near future, before long, in a little while, in a minute, in a moment, in an instant, in a twinkling, in the twinkling of an eye, before you know it, any minute (now), any day (now), any time (now), by and by

I personally don't like how they do rewards, gift cards, and discounts. I haven't bought anything from WETA yet so I don't know how they compare.

Weta rewards (Weta Dollars) crap all over the SS Reward points.

Read all about it: https://www.wetanz.com/why-should-i-buy-online-from-weta/

Out of interest, how long till we rename this thread to reflect reality. "Lord of the Rings Polystone statue line is dead, PF line on life support"?

Waiting till end of the month I guess.

Read all about it: https://www.wetanz.com/why-should-i-buy-online-from-weta/

Out of interest, how long till we rename this thread to reflect reality. "Lord of the Rings Polystone statue line is dead, PF line on life support"?

Waiting till end of the month I guess.

Yeah, reading it, it seems like it's a lot better. If you use weta dollars on a purchase do you still get weta dollars for it, or loose it like on sideshow does it?

Yeah, reading it, it seems like it's a lot better. If you use weta dollars on a purchase do you still get weta dollars for it, or loose it like on sideshow does it?

You still get your 10% or 15% in Weta Dollars on any amount of the item that your still paying (postage is never counted).

For example, on the Thranduil pre-order that just happened, I used $25 Weta Dollars, making the statue $250. I'm a Gold Collector, so at 15%, I then earned back another $37.50 in Weta Dollars. It's a total win-win, unlike Sideshow.

Given that Weta have warehouses in NZ, US and UK, making shipping usually fairly low, it's why when some say they can get the item cheaper from a local dealer, unless it's like $50+ cheaper, it isn't even on par with ordering direct.

So yeah, Weta's rewards just leaves Sideshow in its dust.

True story. Since we're comparing companies, how does Gentle Giant handle their reward points?

Out of interest, how long till we rename this thread to reflect reality. "Lord of the Rings Polystone statue line is dead, PF line on life support"?...

Why would you say polystone is dead and PF on life support? Why not both either dead or both on life support?

You still get your 10% or 15% in Weta Dollars on any amount of the item that your still paying (postage is never counted).

For example, on the Thranduil pre-order that just happened, I used $25 Weta Dollars, making the statue $250. I'm a Gold Collector, so at 15%, I then earned back another $37.50 in Weta Dollars. It's a total win-win, unlike Sideshow.

Given that Weta have warehouses in NZ, US and UK, making shipping usually fairly low, it's why when some say they can get the item cheaper from a local dealer, unless it's like $50+ cheaper, it isn't even on par with ordering direct.

So yeah, Weta's rewards just leaves Sideshow in its dust.

Wow, you're right. That is better than Sideshow. Rewards are nice, but SSC shouldn't take away rewards points cause you use rewards or a discount. You're still paying for the thing.

I need to find something to buy from WETA as soon as I have the cash.

True story. Since we're comparing companies, how does Gentle Giant handle their reward points?

I have no idea, since I've never order from them and actual don't own any GG items at all. So someone else is going to have to answer that question.

Why would you say polystone is dead and PF on life support? Why not both either dead or both on life support?

Sideshow dropped the LSB and Dio lines and basically no longer have the 1/6th scale statue license for either the Hobbit (which they never had) or LOTR (which Weta now have), as such making polystone dead.
I still suspect that Sideshow have the 1/4 scale mixed media license, in other words PF's, for both the Hobbit and LOTR. It's just that so far, since an announcement some 10+ months ago for the Hobbit, not a thing has been seen. And so far, there's only vague references to seeing anything, anytime 'soon', with no new LOTR PF's shown, previewed or even teased at SDCC. More or less making the PF line on life support.
I still do expect a middle-earth PF or two to show up, maybe by the end of the year, but it must be clear to anyone, that over the past 2-3 years, as Marvel, Star Wars and DC ramp up, LOTR drops off.

The only plus side, is that unlike the Disney PF line that just died without a word, from a Middle-Earth point of view, Weta have been stepping in to fill the void.

I have no idea, since I've never order from them and actual don't own any GG items at all. So someone else is going to have to answer that question.

Sideshow dropped the LSB and Dio lines and basically no longer have the 1/6th scale statue license for either the Hobbit (which they never had) or LOTR (which Weta now have), as such making polystone dead.
I still suspect that Sideshow have the 1/4 scale mixed media license, in other words PF's, for both the Hobbit and LOTR. It's just that so far, since an announcement some 10+ months ago for the Hobbit, not a thing has been seen. And so far, there's only vague references to seeing anything, anytime 'soon', with no new LOTR PF's shown, previewed or even teased at SDCC. More or less making the PF line on life support.
I still do expect a middle-earth PF or two to show up, maybe by the end of the year, but it must be clear to anyone, that over the past 2-3 years, as Marvel, Star Wars and DC ramp up, LOTR drops off.

The only plus side, is that unlike the Disney PF line that just died without a word, from a Middle-Earth point of view, Weta have been stepping in to fill the void.

I agree completely. Just holding out hope that we get a Cave Troll PF since I sold my original a while back, and possibly one or two more PFs after that. It is clear that SS does not put any effort or resources into Middle Earth anymore. It's too bad, but that's life. Still , their lack of communication on these lines has been horrendous. I think it's a case of getting too big for your britches too fast. Middle Earth put SS on the map, the least they could do is talk to their collectors about what is going on instead of dropping cryptic hints about what may, or may not, happen in the next few months.

GG is alright. Every 20 points equals a dollar. I'm not sure if you still build points even if you use them. I haven't done that yet. You can only redeem when you hit every 100 points.

This is not only the shipping. When an item comes out from European Union, we have to pay the VAT (21% item+21% shipping) at customs. With WETA, the warehouse is at UK, that's EU and it means that we are not going to pay the VAT, and the item will be 21% cheaper that if it comes from US (SS items).

Thanks a lot theguru1 for the license analysis. I just have one question if you don't mind. The fact that SS does not have the 1/6 LOTR and HOBBIT licenses is something you know for sure, probably from someone inside SS, or is it an assumption based on the fact that WETA has these licenses? Thanks again.

...Sideshow dropped the LSB and Dio lines and basically no longer have the 1/6th scale statue license for either the Hobbit (which they never had) or LOTR (which Weta now have), as such making polystone dead.
I still do expect a middle-earth PF or two to show up, maybe by the end of the year, but it must be clear to anyone, that over the past 2-3 years, as Marvel, Star Wars and DC ramp up, LOTR drops off...

But, but...

"Hi Bill,

Thanks for your email and for your kind words. It’s been a pleasure bringing you LOTR collectibles of all shapes and sizes. While I myself don’t know and specifics about any particular lines, I do know that we have some LOTR pieces still up our sleeves. Middle Earth is still being explored by Sideshow and not to give up hope on anything.

Best Regards,

Michael Tolentino
Customer Service Manager"

Dear Masterside,

Thank you for the email and for your continued interest in Sideshow Collectibles.

While it is true that we did not have any new LOTR items showing at Comic Con this year; it does not mean the line is dead. We have not lost the license and have product coming down the pike; just nothing that was ready to show during the Con (except the Sauron LSF that was displayed).

If you should have any further questions please feel free to contact me.

Jeff Dean
Processing Coordinator

:pigfly: :peace

Masterside is a Sideshow insider either works for them or is very very close to someone who does. You will never get that type of info like him

Back