Premium Format The Incredible Hulk The Avengers

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of this talk about secondary market value makes my head spin. I myself got into this hobby with no thought what so ever about what the value might be down the road. This is a hobby for fans IMO. They are mass produced replicas of pop culture icons. Sure it's nice to know that perhaps something I buy might increase in value down the road. But I don't buy something and hope it goes up in value. It is a crap shoot as someone said. If I decide to sell because I need funds for something else I am happy if the value is the same as when I first bought it.

Flippers have ruined this hobby a bit. And imo they should GTFO but hey it's a free country.

But I personally don't care if they make 15 or 10,000 Hulks as long as I get one. If it goes up in value...Great. If it goes down in value....Great. As long as I have it and love it I really don't care.

When I bought my JAWS NTT limited edition of 75. I did not buy it because I thought it might shoot up in value. No I bought it because I love JAWS and it was the best Jaws related product out there. If it ends up being worth only 10.00 tomorrow I don't care. I have no plans to ever sell it. Yes it is cool that I am one of 75 who own it. But I really would not care if there where a 1000 of them out there.

If selling the items was the first thing on my mind I would never have gotten into this hobby in the first place.

People who get into this just to flip really kind of suck IMO.

Thats really great, I am very happy for you and I regret I havent reached this higer level of collecting Nirvana. Iv been collecting SS for ten years and collecting other companies way before then. I have seen these crazes rise and fall whenever a company gets greedy and I feel I am seeing that now. When they start charging alot, quality starts dropping and things become unlimited...YES I do worry. Im sitting on over 10k in reward points, have over 20 PF's and a bunch of comiquettes and bust. I also collect bowen, Koto, CS Moore, square enix. Sometimes my collection becomes a little overweight or to large and I need to sell something, not flip it, I love comics and collecting, its a passion but its not fun to be the last one holding a bad asset. The main reason SS keeps ahead of the competition is because their items are exclusive and rare. Quality has been dropping, take away the exclusivity and good luck.

What you describe is the opposite and extreme side of what some of us suggest. Nobody is saying to make only 25 pieces of anything. Those days were here and are long gone. What we ask for is to make pieces with clear edition sizes and for exclusives to be worthwhile and with a smaller edition sizes. You know, actually "exclusive".

There is no excuse for an exclusive to be 1250 pieces (Joker PF). If the exclusive sells out in a few hours or less so be it. We all know when these things go on sale. You don't have to keep items ULTRA limited, but reward those that follow your product religiously. Make them feel like they did get something special and not just some print on a 750 exclusive edition size. An accessory to display your expensive statue differently goes a long way. Just look at this thread: page after page of people falling over themselves for a piece that probably won't be sold for weeks. I think that kind of devotion is worth rewarding.

I know Sideshow is trying to maximize their profits and sell as many statues as possible. I guess I just see the difference on how the hobby was and how it is now.

Yeah it's moving into a mass production hobby, Sideshow may soon go the way of Bowen if they keep making open edition sizes. With everything having an NRD and selling out in days to months there doesn't seem to be need for that. If you want it, just order it within that timeframe, seems reasonable. There's very little that rewards the hardcore sideshow collector anymore. It used to be exciting to get the newsletter every week, now it's just kinda boring. Even the SDCC exclusives are pretty uninteresting.

Agreed about prints, original art with signatures ftw.

Like every hobby this one seems to be evolving to the level of mass production and decreased weight, with not much limited appeal as it used to have. jmho.

Thats really great, I am very happy for you and I regret I havent reached this higer level of collecting Nirvana. Iv been collecting SS for ten years and collecting other companies way before then. I have seen these crazes rise and fall whenever a company gets greedy and I feel I am seeing that now. When they start charging alot, quality starts dropping and things become unlimited...YES I do worry. Im sitting on over 10k in reward points, have over 20 PF's and a bunch of comiquettes and bust. I also collect bowen, Koto, CS Moore, square enix. Sometimes my collection becomes a little overweight or to large and I need to sell something, not flip it, I love comics and collecting, its a passion but its not fun to be the last one holding a bad asset. The main reason SS keeps ahead of the competition is because their items are exclusive and rare. Quality has been dropping, take away the exclusivity and good luck.

Your collecting habits are on a whole new playing field. 10K in reward points??? Wow. Well at least the items you own now by SS are more limited and should keep their value. Sounds like you and I are very different collectors. Even if I could afford it I would not collect that many pieces. But thats just me. One thing we do have in common is we are not looking to flip.

But I still feel that as long as the quality is there I really don't care about the increase of value.

Take my Conan PF for example. I love that damn thing and there is no way I would sell it. And If I found out tomorrow it was worth only 20.00 I would be fine with that because I love it for what it is not it's value.

Now I have had fun buying and then selling items so I can buy something I like more. So yes it would suck if the value went down. But it also helps that I tend to buy things that I would be OK with keeping if they did go down in value to the point that they would not be worth selling.

But yeah if I had all of the stuff you did then yes I would be afraid of them losing value. But like I said, since it's the older stuff you should be safe. And as for the newer stuff, if open editions scare you then don't buy it unless it's a character you really love. Then you win no matter what.

YESSSSS i love mixed media, its way better than sculpted on, Makes it more real and classy, great for displaying in a lighted case.

Does anyone know the color of the pants? i hope they change the brown to dark purple like the hulk pf that looks greaaaaattt :panic:

They were not purple in the film though. Purple would still be cool.

Maybe I missed something...? With us all talking about Open ES, aside from LSFs is SS offering any other signature items with Open ES? I stated pages ago why OES probably doesn't matter as much for the highest priced items like LSFs, but as far as I know, everything smaller than LSF has an ES.

Also if this keeps the cloth pants I hope SS starts calling it a PF instead of Maquette. We have 1/4 mixed media and fully sculpted PFs, 1/4 mixed media and fully sculpted maquettes, I rather like consistent naming across differnt formats but the branding is all screwed now.

Maybe I missed something...? With us all talking about Open ES, aside from LSFs is SS offering any other signature items with Open ES? I stated pages ago why OES probably doesn't matter as much for the highest priced items like LSFs, but as far as I know, everything smaller than LSF has an ES.

Also if this keeps the cloth pants I hope SS starts calling it a PF instead of Maquette. We have 1/4 mixed media and fully sculpted PFs, 1/4 mixed media and fully sculpted maquettes, I rather like consistent naming across differnt formats but the branding is all screwed now.

Maquettes are for movies, so this will be a maquette since it's a movie version Hulk.

I would say don't even try to make sense on branding. Look at the Thor movie version "premium format".

I assume they use the term maquette when there is some sort of authentic pedigree from the movie studio.

They were not purple in the film though. Purple would still be cool.

its brown in the movie and it looks crap!! make it purple or grey or at LEAST for the EX another color, the brown just dident go with it at all in the pictures it looked dull, come on pull finger out of anooos and do it good sideshow :clap

Your collecting habits are on a whole new playing field. 10K in reward points??? Wow. Well at least the items you own now by SS are more limited and should keep their value. Sounds like you and I are very different collectors. Even if I could afford it I would not collect that many pieces. But thats just me. One thing we do have in common is we are not looking to flip.

But I still feel that as long as the quality is there I really don't care about the increase of value.

Take my Conan PF for example. I love that damn thing and there is no way I would sell it. And If I found out tomorrow it was worth only 20.00 I would be fine with that because I love it for what it is not it's value.

Now I have had fun buying and then selling items so I can buy something I like more. So yes it would suck if the value went down. But it also helps that I tend to buy things that I would be OK with keeping if they did go down in value to the point that they would not be worth selling.

But yeah if I had all of the stuff you did then yes I would be afraid of them losing value. But like I said, since it's the older stuff you should be safe. And as for the newer stuff, if open editions scare you then don't buy it unless it's a character you really love. Then you win no matter what.

If you beleive the bolded part, I have some swamp land to sell you.

Back