The Hobbits coming to Sideshow.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking forward to Thorin PF and what they would do for Bilbo.

I'll probablly pass on the other Dwarves knowing SS won't make them all. :lol :( RIP 1/6th LOTR! :(

LOTS of PF and statue love...I meant a 12 inch posable fig (well smaller but I think you get my point)...that's what I want and it seems like I am in the minority....

I would love if Weta handled the 15 main guys 1/6 scale and include human size characters(Radagast,elves) then leave the 1/6 beasts to Sideshow(Azog/warg,Goblin King,Beorn,Eagle,Trolls,etc)(Goblin King would be $350 if made by SS instead of $500 if Weta did em for example)...That would be my hope

There's too much wrong-ness in this post to point it all out at once!

Answer from Weta at the Shadow and Flame:

Quote:
Originally Posted by star wars vs lotr
Hi Daniel seems sideshow have now announced a hobbit licence as well
Is your lic for 1/6 exclusive to this scale or could they do 1/6 as well
I can't speak for them, but ours is a broad polystone license that includes 1/6th scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by star wars vs lotr
If so do you have eney correspondence with them so you don't make the same statues
We don't co-ordinate our releases with other collectibles companies.

LOTS of PF and statue love...I meant a 12 inch posable fig (well smaller but I think you get my point)...that's what I want and it seems like I am in the minority....

A lot of us would like 1/6 figures, but it's just not going to happen.

I'm still doubting on the PFs though. Sideshow hasn't even finished the LotR PFs. If they can't make a Gimli, I doubt they'll make the other Dwarves.

I'm still thinking props and maquettes.

Honestly, I'm done with Sideshow in Middle Earth.

They missed out on the 1/6 scale figures, they haven't really impressed me on the design or price (since for $50 more I can usually get a PF) of the recent statue line, and the only thing left are PFs - which I'm pretty much out of.

Otherwise, if I jump into a Hobbit line, it'll be thru Weta. Sure, they'll be hard pressed to provide all the Dwarves, but at least there's some hope with Weta's upcoming LOTR Fellowship statue set. I have no problem if they do the same thing with the Hobbit Dwarves.

Sideshow's statue line is pretty damn good IMO.

Weta will do all the Dwarfs I guarantee it and there will be plenty in this line. It will be as deep as the SSW line.

SSC's LOTR statue line isn't that bad, just not my cup of tea and I don't feel like it's picked up steam yet. I guess maybe once SSC gets past a certain number, I'll feel like they've commited to the line. Till then, I have trouble commiting to it.

See, I don't think we'll get all 13 Dwarves from Weta before the end. Realistically, there's just so many other characters that will need to made for a complete Hobbit experience, that I'm not sure Weta will have time for all the Dwarves. At $200-$250 a piece for 13 figures, brings us to $2600-$3250 just on Dwarves. But what about Gandalf, Elrond, Galadriel, Saruman, Radagast, Beorn, Bard, Thrain, Azog, and the number of generic characters they could make like orcs, goblins, soldiers, etc? I just don't think it's smart to force a complete set of Dwarves just for the sake of completing a set. I think Weta could make more money off of any of the characters listed above before they could off of Oin or Nori, for example.

SSC's LOTR statue line isn't that bad, just not my cup of tea and I don't feel like it's picked up steam yet. I guess maybe once SSC gets past a certain number, I'll feel like they've commited to the line. Till then, I have trouble commiting to it.

See, I don't think we'll get all 13 Dwarves from Weta before the end. Realistically, there's just so many other characters that will need to made for a complete Hobbit experience, that I'm not sure Weta will have time for all the Dwarves. At $200-$250 a piece for 13 figures, brings us to $2600-$3250 just on Dwarves. But what about Gandalf, Elrond, Galadriel, Saruman, Radagast, Beorn, Bard, Thrain, Azog, and the number of generic characters they could make like orcs, goblins, soldiers, etc? I just don't think it's smart to force a complete set of Dwarves just for the sake of completing a set. I think Weta could make more money off of any of the characters listed above before they could off of Oin or Nori, for example.

They have already done 3/13 and the first movie just came out. Weta is going rapid-fire on The Hobbit, I imagine there will be another wave of statue pre-orders in February or possibly earlier.

Plus Gandalf has been made :)

Last edited:
They have already done 3/13 and the first movie just came out. Weta is going rapid-fire on The Hobbit, I imagine there will be another wave of statue pre-orders in February or possibly earlier.

Plus Gandalf has been made :)

Of course, we already have Bilbo, Thorin, and Gandalf with Balin and Dwalin incoming. But even if Weta rapid-fires, can the community support such a quick rate of releases? SSC has their LOTR statue line which has a new release, what every three months at best? Here in the past three months, Weta has supplied much more than that and all three aren't even sold out.

Look, I'm all for an extensive Weta Hobbit line, but I don't want to be stuck in a SSC type situation where we come so far and still come up short.

Of course, we already have Bilbo, Thorin, and Gandalf with Balin and Dwalin incoming. But even if Weta rapid-fires, can the community support such a quick rate of releases? SSC has their LOTR statue line which has a new release, what every three months at best? Here in the past three months, Weta has supplied much more than that and all three aren't even sold out.

Look, I'm all for an extensive Weta Hobbit line, but I don't want to be stuck in a SSC type situation where we come so far and still come up short.

Wouldn't that be due to them being open edition?

IMHO, there is no way SS or Weta make all 13, no matter what format. Tolkien didn't write his books with merchandising in mind (like a number of stories are today), he wrote them to tell a story. And in every good story, you have main characters, minor characters and characters that exist to further said story.

This is not to say that Tolkien just cobbled some letters together and gave us Fili or Kili (examples only), just saying that not every dwarf is worthy of a statue when compared to their part of the story.

First and foremost, this is Thorin, Gandalf and Bilbo's story. Sure, the licensees will throw a couple more dwarves at us, along with maybe a Radagast and the always-popular Goblins. But in the end, I highly doubt we get 13 dwarves.

IMHO, there is no way SS or Weta make all 13, no matter what format. Tolkien didn't write his books with merchandising in mind (like a number of stories are today), he wrote them to tell a story. And in every good story, you have main characters, minor characters and characters that exist to further said story.

This is not to say that Tolkien just cobbled some letters together and gave us Fili or Kili (examples only), just saying that not every dwarf is worthy of a statue when compared to their part of the story.

First and foremost, this is Thorin, Gandalf and Bilbo's story. Sure, the licensees will throw a couple more dwarves at us, along with maybe a Radagast and the always-popular Goblins. But in the end, I highly doubt we get 13 dwarves.

I'm keeping faith, however out of reach it may seem now. We already have a Bombur statue shown and he had 0 lines in the entire movie :lol

I've no doubt we'll get all 13 dwarves. Weta has already proven their commitment with 5 characters in-stock, not pre-order, and the movie is not even a week old. Plus we already know Bombur is complete and Radagast underway.

If people think these aren't going to sell and inevitably stop the line short, Gandalf and Bilbo are on their second production run, meaning 500 of each have sold and there's a third production run already planned. They won't all be open edition either so for characters that may be less desirable, they'll likely have an ES to help ship numbers.

Last edited:

Got ya. There is a certain difference though between you having commitment issues and the line being bad. That's kind of why I said something because the statues themselves are really good.

As far as The Hobbit from Weta I will guarantee we get all the Dwarves and plenty of other characters from the movies. There aren't as many characters within this so it's easy to do and from talking with them they're committed to do so.

Another reason why it won't surprise me is both companies when teamed together completed The Fellowship in the original line. That's all 9 members and while not in the first movies outfits they did all 9 characters. So they both have the background to see their lines through.

I don't think SS need to commit to the Hobbit in any particular line as they have more success with other lines and can therefore (hopefully) continue to do the big spectactulars such as the Snow Troll, Sauron, RWoS etc
Exciting times! :hi5:

Wouldn't that be due to them being open edition?

Or being overproduced.

I'm keeping faith, however out of reach it may seem now. We already have a Bombur statue shown and he had 0 lines in the entire movie :lol

Just wait till Mirkwood... Bombur will get some lines... :lol

Another reason why it won't surprise me is both companies when teamed together completed The Fellowship in the original line. That's all 9 members and while not in the first movies outfits they did all 9 characters. So they both have the background to see their lines through.

True, but didn't SSC just state that they don't pay attention to what other companies make? I have a funny feeling that rather than compliment each other they'll both end up working on Thorins and Gandalfs. It would sort of be foolish not to.

I guess I have to go back to my original point - how many of you are really in for $2,600-$3,250 for a full set of Dwarves over the next two and a half years? And that's not including all the other characters they would make, just the Dwarves. I mean, SSC couldn't even get to nine figures in their 1/6 line at the would barely have cost $900 in a reasonable economic climate. Anyway, I stop beating a dead horse.

Got ya. There is a certain difference though between you having commitment issues and the line being bad. That's kind of why I said something because the statues themselves are really good.

Oh, well I'm still not crazy about the line - I do think half of it is bad. Some of the poses leave alot to be desired and the character selections could be better. Again, I'm not really feeling the line, the cost is too much compared to PFs, and I don't trust SSC to go everywhere I want them to with it.

I'd say Balin is somewhat important since he is Gimli's cousin and also happens to be the dead dwarf and lord of moria that was in the mines in Fellowship of the Ring.

Back