The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smaug's folly is precisely that he believes his own press. So the dwarves in that scene don't really bother me. The gold bath on the other hand, while visually kind of cool, was a bit of "hmmm oooookay" moment for me.

He is totally arrogant that's something they captured perfectly from the book. The banter back and forth between him and Bilbo is fanastic. The Dwarves scene could have been a little shorter for me and used that time for something else. The gold bath I like because it harkens to the Smaug the Golden title he has or I should say one of his titles.

I'm not a fan of the gold bath and the Dwarves outsmarting Smaug was a bit much as well. Smaug deserves more respect. But for the most part, he doesn't have that much time in the book so PJ had to stretch his screen time out somehow.

DOS is so far my favorite of the two, but damn that liquid gold looked horrible, it's things like it that take you out of these films. I never had problem like that with LOTR. And still don't, which is saying a lot for a 10 year old series of flicks.

The T-1000 looked better than that molten gold, weta must have left that effect to the interns :lol

It's a concept that probably sounded cooler than how it turned out on screen I think. I could actually see it being in the book.

The T-1000 looked better than that molten gold, weta must have left that effect to the interns :lol

It's a concept that probably sounded cooler than how it turned out on screen I think. I could actually see it being in the book.

I actually like how the gold looks but its not how gold really looks when heated like that. As far as in the book it's not. Actually in the book Smaug gets ticked over a cup and takes off to ruin Lake Town.

I actually like how the gold looks but its not how gold really looks when heated like that. As far as in the book it's not. Actually in the book Smaug gets ticked over a cup and takes off to ruin Lake Town.
Yeah I mean I could see it being something that Tolkien would write, the gold covering scene.

That's why I got a good chuckle when Bilbo picks up the cup in the movie. If you had never read the book you wouldn't think anything of it.

I did the same. It was a nice nod to the book.

Yeah I mean I could see it being something that Tolkien would write, the gold covering scene.

Possibly in the rewrite he was thinking of doing he might have.

DOS is so far my favorite of the two, but damn that liquid gold looked horrible, it's things like it that take you out of these films. I never had problem like that with LOTR. And still don't, which is saying a lot for a 10 year old series of flicks.

It looked bad to me in HFR, but it looked better in 2D. I think they made it too yellow.

I didn't mind the HFR at all, except for the gold.

The marathon is only in HFR. Don't have a choice on that.

All big movies should be filmed 100% in 70mm.

So what if it triples or quadruples the production cost.

Bungie spent 500 million to produce one stupid videogame.

Ok fine, 35mm is good enough. :lol

Last edited:
I didn't mind the HFR at all, except for the gold.

The marathon is only in HFR. Don't have a choice on that.

I don't mind it for one film. I'll see BOTFA in it but all of them might be a bit much.

We had the option of that or regular 3D so we took that. Some places had 2D, which I would have really loved.

So what's the consensus on HFR. Is the industry shunning this tech or are more movies going to use it in the future. I personally had no problem with HFR but I only saw AUJ in it because it wasn't available for DoS otherwise I would have.

Back