The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's any consolation Josh, I never read the wikis and, just going off of what I gleaned from my own reading of the Sils., I thought the same as you.

If it's any consolation Josh, I never read the wikis and, just going off of what I gleaned from my own reading of the Sils., I thought the same as you.

Glad someone was on the same track. :lol I've read the Sil just once but as you I took it that way as well. So when combining the two I had it a certain way.

I wasn't sure either that's just the way I interpreted it. That's why I like talking about this stuff. :rock For the record, I keep a copy of the books on my phone, my ipad and both my office and home computers so a search is only seconds away. :monkey4

For the record, I keep a copy of the books on my phone, my ipad and both my office and home computers so a search is only seconds away. :monkey4

UF8uKNC.gif

Faramir was an awful character in TTT.. Unlikable and boring... Made much richer in the EX version of the film and thus made much richer and more important and relatable in ROTK.

And so I say.. Khev is just wrong, wrong, wrong. wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, and wrong.

;)

Sorry but as cool as Faramir's extra scenes were:

Helm's Deep >>>>>>> Faramir's backstory

The EE improves Faramir's character but messes up the centerpiece conflict of the entire film. Fail. :lecture :)

Sorry but as cool as Faramir's extra scenes were:

Helm's Deep >>>>>>> Faramir's backstory

The EE improves Faramir's character but messes up the centerpiece conflict of the entire film. Fail. :lecture :)

Too bad for you. Oddly enough, it never disrupted anything for me. It made an already great chapter even greater.

I wasn't sure either that's just the way I interpreted it. That's why I like talking about this stuff. :rock For the record, I keep a copy of the books on my phone, my ipad and both my office and home computers so a search is only seconds away. :monkey4

I'm with ya. It seems like there may be a couple ways to take it. I will ask one of the guys at TORn that knows this stuff like the back of their hand. See what they say. Maybe they can clear things up a bit. :lol I'm the same way. Have multiple copies all over the place both digitally and physical.

Too bad for you. Oddly enough, it never disrupted anything for me. It made an already great chapter even greater.

:lecture

Yeah well after the disappointing FOTR EE I remember having two requirements for the TTT EE: Don't mess up Helm's Deep and don't mess up Sam's speech at the end. The EE did both. :( It just bugs me every time I watch it, regardless of how cool they made one Ranger dude.

Encylopedia of Arda is the only source I trust, besides the original texts from the Sil. Screw Wiki. It has too much garbage from the video game story lines....

It does but usually only tied to those things. The rings of power stuff didn't though.

Yeah well after the disappointing FOTR EE I remember having two requirements for the TTT EE: Don't mess up Helm's Deep and don't mess up Sam's speech at the end. The EE did both. :( It just bugs me every time I watch it, regardless of how cool they made one Ranger dude.

Maybe only the most obnoxious of purists would use dissapointing in regards to any of the EE films.

List of Extended things I do like,

Fellowship

- Isildur being a *****, yanking the ring, turning invisible, then getting shot
- Concerning Hobbits
- Sackville-Bagginses, Bilbo and Frodo talking (theatrical isn't as good because Bilbo and Frodo don't even have an exchange till Rivendell)
- Green Dragon, happy Frodo
- marshes, Strider/Frodo exchange
- Stone trolls in the forest
- Boromir and Aragorn exchange about narsil
- the departure from Rivendell (left or right?)
- Moria beheadings, Aragorn saving Boromir from a moria orc stab when the troll throws Boromir
- Lothlorien meeting, not allowing passage, Gimli insult, everyone looking at Frodo, Boromir telling Frodo Gandalf's death isn't his fault
- Gandalf fireworks poem
- gift giving
- Boromir watching Gollum on the river, telling Aragorn he's afraid, Frodo and Sam exchange
- Amon Hen neck slits, dismemberments, decapitations, Boromir fighting a little longer, Merry and Pippin helping, Aragorn struggling to get to them, Lurtz knife lick
- "they will look for his coming from the white tower, but he will not return" *tear*

Two Towers

- More Merry, Pippin, Ugluk and Grishnak "give him some medicine!"
- "we will die for Saruman"
- Eomer banished
- Merry and Pippin "they think we have the ring"
- Gollum tries lembas
- Gandalf and Aragorn, night, "sam went with him"
- black gate with Frodo, Sam and Gollum
- Grima being spared, spitting
- Grima and Saruman talking about Aragorn
- Aragorn tames Brego
- Faramir introduction when he captures Frodo and Sam and talks about war
- Boromir down the river, Boromir/Faramir/Denethor flashback
- beating/interrogating Smeagol
- Mina's Tirith in the background when Faramir is taking them to osgiliath. In the theatrical, they painted it out because New Line execs thought audiences were too stupid and thought they would think it was Helms Deep
- added Helms Deep violence
- "he's got my axe imbedded in his nervous system"
- Faramir strangles and warns Gollum not to **** with Frodo and Sam

Return of the King

- Saruman and Wormtongue (pretty crucial in my opinion, the theatrical "reasoning" was lame)
- Gandalf explaining Gondor to Pippin, Gandalf the White's lungs not handling weed well
- Sam threatening Gollum, ringing his neck
- the orcs in the river, Gothmog telling them to keep quiet
- Merry pledging himself to Theoden
- Denethor's Boromir hallucination
- Pippin and Faramir exchange
- Gothmog, Grond more orcs at Minas Tirith
- Witch King vs. Gandalf
- death of Gothmog
- Pippin searching for Merry all day/night (theatrical has it during just the day)
- Orcs vs uruks at Cirith ungol
- shagrat taking the mithril shirt
- Faramir and Eowyn hooking up briefly
- Aragorn challenging Sauron
- Frodo and Sam orc disguise, going through a orc platoon, inspection! (One of my favorite scenes)
- the Mouth of Sauron
- "Smeagol lied"

List of things I don't like and think are unnecessary.

Fellowship

- Wood elves. Do not want.
- Boromir trying to grab the ring and Gandalf going ape****
- Aragorn's mom?
- Elrond and Aragorn

Two Towers

- Frodo, sam, the rope . . . Roast chicken?
- Theodred, who cares
- Legolas telling them that elves taught trees to talk. Gimli acting like an idiot in fangorn
- treebeard songs
- ent draft (unnecessary)
- all extra Ent crap
- Treebeard extras
- funeral of theodred
- Aragorn is . . . 87. Eowyn sucks at cooking
- more Aragorn and Arwen visions
- Eowyn wants "Aragorn's hand in marriage" Part 1
- treebeard "good morning" nonsense (though I like when he yells when Pippin and Merry trick him and he sees the leveled forest)
- Uruk Hai going into the Forrest and getting killed by the trees after running from helms deep
- Merry and Pippin finding Saruman's weed, meh, we see it in Return of the king

Return of the King

- legolas, gimli drinking game, ugh. The extended makes Gimli look retarded
- Aragorn, eowyn's dream
- goofy scene where Sam and Frodo see the beheaded statue and the sun light hits the flowers. That's too on the nose and corny
- Eowyn wants "Aragorn's hand in marriage part 2"
- Paths of the dead. Worst part of the extended. Kills suspense. gimli acts like an idiot. skull avalanche?
- Corsair pirate ship take over. Extremely lame and ruins the arrival later on. Shouldn't have happened.
- Aragorn healing peeps. We're approaching the climax here, ain't nobody got time for dis! Kills pace and momentum.
- Sam sees a star in the sky!

Last edited:
Back