The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the info fellow Ring Fan. It gives a lot of info to a fan like me.

And I'm happy to say my love for LotR is rubbing on to my almost 9 years old son. Funny thing is he always see me watching the LotR Trilogy atleast 3 time a year and he never really give any attention all those years. But that changes when he saw The Hobbit, he was blown away and now very interested on asking question about how the LotR connects to The Hobbit. And he started reading the book:)

Thanks for all the info fellow Ring Fan. It gives a lot of info to a fan like me.

And I'm happy to say my love for LotR is rubbing on to my almost 9 years old son. Funny thing is he always see me watching the LotR Trilogy atleast 3 time a year and he never really give any attention all those years. But that changes when he saw The Hobbit, he was blown away and now very interested on asking question about how the LotR connects to The Hobbit. And he started reading the book:)

That's very cool. My son just turned seven so he wasn't even around to see LOTR in the theaters. He started getting into LOTR when he was about four and would see us watching it. It was awesome to be able to take him to see The Hobbit a couple times.

Speaking of little kids and The Hobbit just reminded me of something when we saw it the 2nd time. A family about 5 rows below us decided to bring their 2 year-old:slap and she totally freaked out during The Battle Of Azanulbizar. That was the end of movie day for them.:lol

I'm re-reading the Hobbit after seeing the film a few weeks ago. Good stuff.

My copy is actually "The Annotated Hobbit", which is full of notes, including connections to the LotR, but also information on Tolkien's influences, differences between the first edition and Tolkien's later revision (to connect better to the later LotR), and a few definitions of some rather uncommon words. (Did you know what "attercop" meant when you first read it? Didn't think so!)

It's also got lots of illustrations that were made for various editions in other languages. Pretty interesting, overall. I think I paid about $10-15 for mine at a Coles bookstore, and it looks like you can still get it rather cheap on Amazon.

Nice! I think that's great and its what will help Middle-earth last even longer. I mean its been around since 1937 and I hope it lasts well after I'm gone so people can keep on enjoying it.

I'm re-reading the Hobbit after seeing the film a few weeks ago. Good stuff.

My copy is actually "The Annotated Hobbit", which is full of notes, including connections to the LotR, but also information on Tolkien's influences, differences between the first edition and Tolkien's later revision (to connect better to the later LotR), and a few definitions of some rather uncommon words. (Did you know what "attercop" meant when you first read it? Didn't think so!)

It's also got lots of illustrations that were made for various editions in other languages. Pretty interesting, overall. I think I paid about $10-15 for mine at a Coles bookstore, and it looks like you can still get it rather cheap on Amazon.

I have that version. I've just never looked at it. I also have a great 2 book edition that is similar with even more detail its called "The History of The Hobbit." I think either version but maybe especially The Annotated Hobbit will help people understand the importance of adding what Jackson has added to give more to The Hobbit as a story.

These are the versions that I currently own:

My very first copy from 1984. I gave it to my son and at seven he's a very good reader, but it's gonna be a couple years before he tackles the whole thing.:lol It was music to my ears to hear him read "In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit..." all by himself.:yess:
Hobbit-1984_zpsbfe9c88f.jpg

I got this version back in 1987 when I was a freshman in High School.
Hobbit-50th_zpse0f68103.jpg

My Wife got me this pocket sized, leather bound edition for Christmas and is my favorite.
CIMG1098-1_zpsaf7844e1.jpg

^ Nice copies. :)

If I ever become really, really wealthy, I'm going to track down a first edition, so help me god... :)

I have that version. I've just never looked at it. I also have a great 2 book edition that is similar with even more detail its called "The History of The Hobbit." I think either version but maybe especially The Annotated Hobbit will help people understand the importance of adding what Jackson has added to give more to The Hobbit as a story.

Totally agree. :)

That was a good article you posted, btw. Does it strike anyone else that today's audiences just don't have any patience these days? Why can't a movie have a nice, easy pace - so what if it's long? This is a long journey, after all.

I'm sure today's critics would call several of the excellent '60s epics "boring". :)

Thanks! I'm with ya. It's the do now instant culture. Thing is this is the shortest film based on Middle-earth. You cannot watch these films and not know there is a process of a journey to tell these amazing stories.

Wish Christopher Tolkien would take a chill pill and let the Silnarillion be made into a film. Denying his father's work to be adapted seems selfish to me.

I don't agree with his stance but I understand why he's protective. Check out TORn for a great article on the subject.

Wish Christopher Tolkien would take a chill pill and let the Silnarillion be made into a film. Denying his father's work to be adapted seems selfish to me.

I see his point, though.

I, for one, feel very, very lucky that I was introduced to Tolkien as a teenager in the '90s, well before the films were made. As well done as the movies were, I am glad that I read the books first.

That said, the Silmarillion is almost unreadable, for most people anyway. More than either the Hobbit or LotR, its story would benefit from a retelling on the big screen... or perhaps an HBO miniseries?

To be quite honest, if Jackson wasn't going to be involved, I'd feel more secure if it were in the hands of HBO than pretty much any filmmaker out there.

One day it will happen...but CT will have to pass away for that to happen...I would love to see a film on The Kingdom of Angmar/confict of Arnor and the conflict of Earnur and The Witch-King and how the Stewards of Gondor came to be....basically showing the kingdom lose it's territories, Towers and Palintirs...the decline of the Dunedain.....alot could be done there

Last edited:
Im not sure it will happen, and to be honest while I am a huge fan of the movies I am a fan of the books first, it was Tolkiens lifeblood (the Silmarillion) and it would not get the right treatment. I think as previously mentioned a miniseries would be good, like Game of thrones.

If anything, the films have encouraged more people to read the books than ever.

Isn't "The Lord of the Rings" the second most read book in the world next to the Bible? I know it was at one time anyhow. What is the concern?

I see his point, though.

I, for one, feel very, very lucky that I was introduced to Tolkien as a teenager in the '90s, well before the films were made. As well done as the movies were, I am glad that I read the books first.

That said, the Silmarillion is almost unreadable, for most people anyway. More than either the Hobbit or LotR, its story would benefit from a retelling on the big screen... or perhaps an HBO miniseries?

To be quite honest, if Jackson wasn't going to be involved, I'd feel more secure if it were in the hands of HBO than pretty much any filmmaker out there.

I read the books long before the films too. I think Jackson has done a terrific job. Literature is art. Art is interpreted differently in the eye of the beholder. A painter paints a canvas and two people see different things. You read a book and your visualization is very different than anothers. This was Jackson's interpretation of Middle-Earth and I think he has done a wonderful job. I know I did not visualize The Great Goblin and Radagast as he did, but I am ok with it. I know the release of the films prompted me to re-read all the books.

I know the silmarillion is almost unreadable. Making a film and putting it into context would likely dramatically assist others to make sense of the events in the book after watching the film.

It appears Christopher is a dinosaur caught in the past. Hopefully his children will be more open minded.

Im not sure it will happen, and to be honest while I am a huge fan of the movies I am a fan of the books first, it was Tolkiens lifeblood (the Silmarillion) and it would not get the right treatment. I think as previously mentioned a miniseries would be good, like Game of thrones.

A high budget miniseries (like GoT or Band of Brothers) is a great idea. No reason why Jackson couldn't direct that as well.

A high budget miniseries (like GoT or Band of Brothers) is a great idea. No reason why Jackson couldn't direct that as well.

Except he'll probably want to move on from Tolkien's world at that point - and who could blame him? :)

Really? I thought the lord of the rings would be more his magnum opus, his lifeblood.

But your statement intrigues me; I really want to make another attempt at that book; 19 years later.

:panic:

Really? I thought the lord of the rings would be more his magnum opus, his lifeblood.

But your statement intrigues me; I really want to make another attempt at that book; 19 years later.

:panic:

Get the Middle Earth Atlas to help out reading the book...The maps are great seeing where what took place...it helps

Back