The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strangely enough if Gandalf wore the one ring he would be more powerful than Sauron as he would be adding its power to his own. It would corrupt him eventually though.

Gandalf wields one of the elven rings of power. Narya. It is believed it gives him the power to inspire courage and hope in others.

Right and that's why he turns it down. He could do a lot of good but it would be outweighed by the evil it would eventually do.

It's the Fire Ring. It's given to Gandalf to help with his struggles in Middle-earth as he begins to battle Sauron. Basically starting the fire of hope in Middle-earth to combat the fire of evil Sauron has started. I've also seen where its been said that it helped him in instances against The Balrog. It's also a reason why Saruman did not care for Gandalf as he thought himself more worthy if the ring.

Pretty sure that is debated whether or not that "sickness" is inherent or if it is due to the dwarven rings of power.

I'm sure it's been debated. However, I think the evidence out there shows it helped make the Dwarves more eager to keep digging for treasures. Though this wasn't Sauron's intent as he wanted to take them over just like Men but the Dwarves resisted that part. In the end it just made them greedy and why Sauron just took back the rings he could.

Last edited:
Hi Josh, just quick question.

You suggested a good LotR book a couple of months ago and cant seem to find it, can you post the link again please? And if you have a suggestion on the hobbit please post the link as well. I'm planning to replace my Lotr book box set which i bought some 10 years ago

Thanks,
Rich

I figured I'd create a thread for anyone who might want to talk about the books, movies, and/or how they all relate to each other.

jrr_tolkien_hobbit_alan_lee001_zpsc7c42396.jpg
lotr_zpsde517284.png

I have this one here. It's pretty beautiful.

41cDpLUpsLL._SS500_.jpg

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0618517650/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0618640150&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0XKGKSRY4NY7YXBS6154"]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0618517650/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0618640150&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0XKGKSRY4NY7YXBS6154[/ame]

Hi Josh, just quick question.

You suggested a good LotR book a couple of months ago and cant seem to find it, can you post the link again please? And if you have a suggestion on the hobbit please post the link as well. I'm planning to replace my Lotr book box set which i bought some 10 years ago

Thanks,
Rich

Hey :)

Well, that copy above is one I have and it's worth price. That's probably the best version out there IMO. If you want something else let me know and I'll find ya something as far as The Hobbit I'd go for the collectors edition or the Alan Lee version (cover shown in first post). Both are only being sold through secondary sellers on Amazon.

If you just want paperback there is a 4 book set you can get from amazon pretty cheap.

Not all the dwarf rings were recovered by Sauron. Some were destroyed by dragons.

Sauron created the seven for dwarves and nine for men. He played no part in creating the three elvish. They were made by Celebrimor, son of Feanor.

But he desired the Elvish rings most of all after his own

Thanks Josh, really appreciate it.

Hey :)

Well, that copy above is one I have and it's worth price. That's probably the best version out there IMO. If you want something else let me know and I'll find ya something as far as The Hobbit I'd go for the collectors edition or the Alan Lee version (cover shown in first post). Both are only being sold through secondary sellers on Amazon.

If you just want paperback there is a 4 book set you can get from amazon pretty cheap.

Josh or any of our fellow LotR fan, another question regarding the book, As I never read the Appendeges of any of the book.

Did they mention in the book why did the dwarfs in Erebor did not participate in the events of the LOTR. To think that there is a few dwarfs that join the council on what to do with the One Ring.

Thanks,
Rich

I thought I remembered that there are other events taking place in Middle Earth in Mirkwood and that area east of the Misty Mountains that are keeping the others out of the main battles. The dwarves and woodland elves, etc.

Thanks for the info bud. I'm glad we have this thread and can ask fellow fan of the series.

I thought I remembered that there are other events taking place in Middle Earth in Mirkwood and that area east of the Misty Mountains that are keeping the others out of the main battles. The dwarves and woodland elves, etc.

This is correct. War is all over ME. Mirkwood almost falls...Galadriel has victory in her battle. Minas Tirith is just the main battle. Men, particularly the men of Numenor, must fall. Plus, they are closest to his boarder.

Josh or any of our fellow LotR fan, another question regarding the book, As I never read the Appendeges of any of the book.

Did they mention in the book why did the dwarfs in Erebor did not participate in the events of the LOTR. To think that there is a few dwarfs that join the council on what to do with the One Ring.

Thanks,
Rich

Sauron's forces Attacked Erebor and killed Dain and the king of Dale, Plus one of the reasons they sent some Dwarves to the Council of Elrond is to warn Bilbo that Sauron was looking for him(Sauron sent an emmisary maybe Mouth of Sauron or Ringwraith to Erebor to ask Dain where Bilbo was because he had a ring(trinket) that belonged to Sauron...He promised the Dwarven rings of power back to Dain and even Moria if he gave Bilbo up...They didnt)...another reason they went to Rivendell was to find out what happened to Balin and company in Moria because communications suddenly stopped...

Last edited:

Galadrials kin were fighting the forces of Dol Guldur with the help of Thranduil and the Beornings I believe too

When I read about hog riders, I figured I'd look into any mention of pigs in Middle Earth and found this little tidbit that probably doesn't interest anyone but me... :lol

SOURCE - Arda

Boars
Aggressive tusked beasts common to woodland regions. The most famous of all the boars of Middle-earth was the great Boar of Everholt, that lived beneath the trees of the Firien Wood. This boar was hunted by King Folca of Rohan, and though he eventually killed his quarry, the King was mortally wounded in the encounter.

Last edited:

Thanks,
Rich

Yes... they were actually at war with Orcs themselves at Erebor. So were the Elves of Mirkwood.

LOTR and The Hobbit are written from the perspective of the hobbits.

Edit: Silly forum made the post I quoted appear as the last post here... I see others have already answered.

Back