The good ol' days?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always bought my sideshow stuff off ebay. It's only been recently that I've been addicted to ordering from their site directly. I used to check out the website but never ordered. Anyway, I guess it's been a year or so ago, it seems like sideshow would send out an email saying on such and such date and at this and that time we are releasing whatever statue. Then the site would get slammed, I couldn't even view the website because of the volume of users, and a statue would sell out in minutes. I could be wrong but that's how I saw it. Does that not happen anymore because sideshow releases all their pieces with such high edition sizes that anyone and everyone can order everything even months after it debuts?? That kind of blows if that's the case.

I miss those days, it was exciting then. Now I can go on vacation for 3 months come back and say "what did I miss?" and still be able to order whatever it was I missed lol

I'm finding I'm waiting until a piece is almost sold out months after its release to place the order, in part just to get some of that excitement back.

If PCS wasn't around to fill this gap I don't know what I'd do......probably buy more cars I guess lol

Chris

The Good ole days are always better cuz they're behind you.

SS is still putting out good stuff, just be more discriminating what you purchase. And truly like what you buy.

Last edited:
I miss those days, it was exciting then. Now I can go on vacation for 3 months come back and say "what did I miss?" and still be able to order whatever it was I missed lol

I'm finding I'm waiting until a piece is almost sold out months after its release to place the order, in part just to get some of that excitement back.

If PCS wasn't around to fill this gap I don't know what I'd do......probably buy more cars I guess lol

Chris

Well that's not a bad alternative if you can afford it :lol

It was fun back in the day to get caught up in the rush of priority pre-ordering or locking in an item that already had a set ES, and then watching it sell-out within a few hours...or even less in most cases. There was this immense satisfaction of securing an order for something that was only available for a very short time. The Predator LSB Savage edition and White Storm variant was a nice reminder of the way things used to be.

Now, I can appreciate the slower ordering pace with the TBD ES. I know I can take my time and not have to worry about it selling out anytime soon. And if it does, well I can put myself on the waitlist and be pretty much assured of it converting. I had the opportunity to buy both the Predator LSB and the Storm PF, but passed because I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the money on items that weren't initially on my list or that I already had. I guess my collecting habits have changed. Years ago I wouldn't have hesitated on either one.

I don't mind the NRD, but what I don't like are the continued delays. Waiting a year or more for something that I've paid an NRD for I find unacceptable.

From what I see anything that's popular and comes out good still sells out around release time no matter what the ES size is as long as they are under $400. That's what I noticed this year from Sideshow. Low ES's obviously help unsure buyers jump on quick but sideshow has definitely not killed the hobby.... far from it. I would say they revitalized it by getting new people to get into it like me.

Those good ole days sound horrible imo. The hobby's popularity has grown and Sideshow has matched that. If I have to pre-order something in the first 5 minutes to have a shot at getting something that's pretty lame imo.

From what I see anything that's popular and comes out good still sells out around release time no matter what the ES size is as long as they are under $400. That's what I noticed this year from Sideshow. Low ES's obviously help unsure buyers jump on quick but sideshow has definitely not killed the hobby.... far from it. I would say they revitalized it by getting new people to get into it like me.

Those good ole days sound horrible imo. The hobby's popularity has grown and Sideshow has matched that. If I have to pre-order something in the first 5 minutes to have a shot at getting something that's pretty lame imo.

i spent tens of thousands of dollars with sideshow prior to the NRD. although i canceled some, i purchased a majority i ordered. to get people to order, they used to advertise urging collectors to preorder specifically because you can cancel before shipping with no penalty. i guess people that say canceling led to a NRD never saw sideshow's 'cancel when you wish with no penalty' campaign or don't remember it.

now since the NRD, i've spent a few thousand on just ss exclusive hot toys figures. i no longer purchase PF, comiquettes or busts. the NRD has severely restricted my ordering habits. so in my case, sideshow has lost some huge business.

i spent tens of thousands of dollars with sideshow prior to the NRD. although i canceled some, i purchased a majority i ordered. to get people to order, they used to advertise urging collectors to preorder specifically because you can cancel before shipping with no penalty. i guess people that say canceling led to a NRD never saw sideshow's 'cancel when you wish with no penalty' campaign or don't remember it.

now since the NRD, i've spent a few thousand on just ss exclusive hot toys figures. i no longer purchase PF, comiquettes or busts. the NRD has severely restricted my ordering habits. so in my case, sideshow has lost some huge business.

They said cancel if you need to, not abuse the **** out of it

Ahhhh I miss the PPO....and the floodgate of crashes that followed suit. Those F5 refresh buttons was awesome. Swearing at the computer monitor brought back so many great memories lol....

The PPO and the pre-orders with a predetermined ES were great times. The site crashing and the constant hitting of the refresh button served an equal helping of both rage and excitement for me.

I started back in 2005 and while I've always bought what I liked, the thrill of snagging the item before the inevitable sellout was a great feeling.

My personal opinion is, I think SS has too many irons in the fire. Very happy to see them get the DC license along with Marvel and Star Wars. However, they have put the LOTR collectors through hell (I used to be one). GI Joe took a backseat until just recently and they will have to structure their own DC 1/6 releases around HT's as they won't want their products competing at the same time. I think SS makes some of the best collectibles out there - but if they get every damn license available, what's left for the competition?

They said cancel if you need to, not abuse the **** out of it

their entire promotional campaign focused on the fact that there was flexibility if you pre-order right away. cancel anytime with no penalty. NOT cancel anytime but don't do it more than twice.

i did this from 2005 to when they initiated the NRD so i'm afraid you are wrong. i also know at least 5 other collectors that did the same exact thing.

Well if items are sold out during 1st launch. Should that mean that they should sell more of them to make more profit?

Also i don't really like the Exclusive marketing gimmick. Sure it attracts buyers to preorder and line up for it since it is priced around the same as normal edition but can't they just make all releases exclusive?

Back