The Future Of Star Wars Article

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the latest issue of Total Film magazine(UK) there's an interview with Lucas and he explicitly states that he's made sure there are to be no more SW feature films after he's gone. He said the story has been told and the future of the Star Wars franchise is TV shows, books, video games, etc. So, I think it's pretty clear there won't be any more live-action films unless someone goes against George's wishes once he's dead which would be pretty despicable IMHO.

That's what I've been saying. And if it's legally stated that way (and it almost certainly is) no one can even go against his wishes. That is, until STAR WARS becomes public domain, which isn't going to happen during any of our lifetimes.

Yeah, I'm sure he has it clearly stated in legal documents that the Star Wars property can't be used for any future live-action films. Everything else seems to be fair game, however, so I think there will be plenty of SW content to keep us entertained for years to come(especially the two upcoming TV shows). :cool:

In the latest issue of Total Film magazine(UK) there's an interview with Lucas and he explicitly states that he's made sure there are to be no more SW feature films after he's gone. He said the story has been told and the future of the Star Wars franchise is TV shows, books, video games, etc. So, I think it's pretty clear there won't be any more live-action films unless someone goes against George's wishes once he's dead which would be pretty despicable IMHO.

The guy has a serious ego/god complex!!

^^^^ you George!!!!!!!!!

The guy has a serious ego/god complex!!

^^^^ you George!!!!!!!!!

Hey genius, when you create franchises like Star Wars and Indiana Jones, amass a net worth of over $3 billion dollars and become one of the most highly-regarded creative geniuses of our time maybe you can make those types of decisions for yourself. I'm sure we can all plan on that happening real soon. :rolleyes:

No,cause he knows someone else would do a better job with franchise than he did/is.

That's immaterial. Regardless of how you feel about his work (which is subjective anyway) the truth is that he owns STAR WARS both legally and ethically... and thus every right to do with it what he wishes.

And this is coming from someone who thinks ROTJ could have been much better, doesn't like a lot of what he did with the Special Editions and was quite disappointed with the prequels.

That's immaterial. Regardless of how you feel about his work (which is subjective anyway) the truth is that he owns STAR WARS both legally and ethically... and thus every right to do with it what he wishes.

And this is coming from someone who thinks ROTJ could have been much better, doesn't like a lot of what he did with the Special Editions and was quite disappointed with the prequels.

That's just the problem!

He claims too much ownership over the Star Wars franchise because its a huge emperical money making machine that he won't let go of for that reason.

And,he has even said plenty a time that he became the exact same thing that he was fighting against,the empire/studios.

Look,I would really have no problem with him wanting to hold on to his baby,and it would be different if he was pumping out some quality work,but when you start getting sloppy then maybe it's time to pass the torch.

Look,I would really have no problem with him wanting to hold on to his baby,and it would be different if he was pumping out some quality work,but when you start getting sloppy then maybe it's time to pass the torch.

Why? Because you say so? Give me a break! He created this entire franchise and as far as I'm concerned he should control it until a.) he's tired of it and wants to pass the responsibility to someone else OR b.) he dies. Yes, I'm sure there are other creative people out there who could possibly do better work, but that's true in every walk of life. The bottom line is that without Lucas there would be no Star Wars so if he wants to retain control of something that is HIS then it's more than acceptable for him to do so(despite the wishes of the many armchair internet quarterbacks out there).

Why? Because you say so? Give me a break! He created this entire franchise and as far as I'm concerned he should control it until a.) he's tired of it and wants to pass the responsibility to someone else OR b.) he dies. Yes, I'm sure there are other creative people out there who could possibly do better work, but that's true in every walk of life. The bottom line is that without Lucas there would be no Star Wars so if he wants to retain control of something that is HIS then it's more than acceptable for him to do so(despite the wishes of the many armchair internet quarterbacks out there).

I have to agree. I know if I ever came up with something like Star Wars there is no way in hell I would EVER let it get out of my hands.

That's just the problem!

He claims too much ownership over the Star Wars franchise because its a huge emperical money making machine that he won't let go of for that reason.

And,he has even said plenty a time that he became the exact same thing that he was fighting against,the empire/studios.

I think it's time one or two of you need to be reminded. George owns these films, he owns Lucasfilm, the company that made these films, it was never Fox, they only had a distribution deal apart from the first one i believe.
Seriously, this guy can do what he likes because this is his property and more power to him for that! Too many great films have been ruined recently because studio execs interfered. It's like you decorating your front room and someone coming in once you've finished and saying no, I want it done this way, how would you react to that?

Too much has been said about the prequel trilogy, about how dissapointing they were, they weren't at all. Fanboy expectations had grown to uncontrollable levels, there was no way to meet them. It didn't stop all the complainers going to see Ep2 and 3 though did it?

Without these films, we wouldn't have had some of the great films we have now, we wouldn't have had all these great effects houses, no ILM, no Weta, no great programs like Photoshop, (which was invented at ILM during work on Terminator 2), no outlet for creative individuals, the list goes on. as does the arguement over what was better, OT or PT.

Some of you have to ask yourself, do you simply remember when you first watched Star Wars for the first time, or do you remember being young and watching Star Wars for the first time. What is it you missed the most about the experience????

I think if George has said that there'll be no more movies after he's gone then so be it, like he said, the stories been told.

D

Don't know if you guys are reading this series.....

13453.jpg

I think it's time one or two of you need to be reminded. George owns these films, he owns Lucasfilm, the company that made these films, it was never Fox, they only had a distribution deal apart from the first one i believe.
Seriously, this guy can do what he likes because this is his property and more power to him for that! Too many great films have been ruined recently because studio execs interfered. It's like you decorating your front room and someone coming in once you've finished and saying no, I want it done this way, how would you react to that?

Too much has been said about the prequel trilogy, about how dissapointing they were, they weren't at all. Fanboy expectations had grown to uncontrollable levels, there was no way to meet them. It didn't stop all the complainers going to see Ep2 and 3 though did it?

Without these films, we wouldn't have had some of the great films we have now, we wouldn't have had all these great effects houses, no ILM, no Weta, no great programs like Photoshop, (which was invented at ILM during work on Terminator 2), no outlet for creative individuals, the list goes on. as does the arguement over what was better, OT or PT.

Some of you have to ask yourself, do you simply remember when you first watched Star Wars for the first time, or do you remember being young and watching Star Wars for the first time. What is it you missed the most about the experience????

I think if George has said that there'll be no more movies after he's gone then so be it, like he said, the stories been told.

D

Well said. :cool:

The bottom line is that without Lucas there would be no Star Wars so if he wants to retain control of something that is HIS then it's more than acceptable for him to do so(despite the wishes of the many armchair internet quarterbacks out there).

There are far better creations out there than just Star Wars.Your giving the man to much praise and recognition.Although I'm not trying to say that George is irrelivent?All I'm saying is he's doing a poor job caring for his creation these days,and should lend his creation to other parties and stop being so greedy.

The main thing that sickens me about George and his empire he created is that his company is basically a special effects Co based around SW.George hasn't directed created anything besides SW and Indiana in the 35 years he's been in the business,except for a few other films.Doesn't show for much creativity when your hoaring the same couple of franchises for 30 years.

And George says he now has time to do some other projects,sure...:rolleyes:

I think George just got lucky and ran with it,all the way to Fort Knox.

Oh,and I happen to like the OT,except for the Ewoks!

Last edited:
Here's a few pointers for you.

A.) It would help if you could spell irrelevant.

B.) If you don't like George and/or Star Wars you spend far too much time on this forum talking about the subject.

C.) Saying what he's created over the years is "lucky" just shows how clueless you truly are.

D.) It's Fort Knox.

E.) He's a businessman and any SMART businessman will make the most of their opportunities. You can call it greed or whoring(I corrected the spelling there for you), but I call it great business sense.

I could go on, but it would equate to arguing with a telephone pole at this point so I'll just let you live in your sheltered little world where every product that Sideshow makes sucks and George Lucas is a greedy, evil tyrant who has raped your teddy bear. :rolleyes:

I would put Chavez on ignore but his total hate of anything Sideshow and Lucas and total cluelessness is just so funny to read sometimes.

Here's a few pointers for you.

A.) It would help if you could spell irrelevant.

B.) If you don't like George and/or Star Wars you spend far too much time on this forum talking about the subject.

C.) Saying what he's created over the years is "lucky" just shows how clueless you truly are.

D.) It's Fort Knox.

E.) He's a businessman and any SMART businessman will make the most of their opportunities. You can call it greed or whoring(I corrected the spelling there for you), but I call it great business sense.

I could go on, but it would equate to arguing with a telephone pole at this point so I'll just let you live in your sheltered little world where every product that Sideshow makes sucks and George Lucas is a greedy, evil tyrant who has raped your teddy bear. :rolleyes:

The truth hurts!!!:lol

Find someone else to talk to,you fanatical Lucas ass kisser!

I would put Chavez on ignore but his total hate of anything Sideshow and Lucas and total cluelessness is just so funny to read sometimes.

I have quite a few Star Wars pieces in my collection.They may not all be Sideshow like the most of you,but I do have a fascination with it.Lucas on the other hand...

As for you thinking of my posts as total cluelessness.I say :moon

Back